Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New competition?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I will support a new competition, as in I'll donate $20, and I'm willing to help judge, so long as we can build up help so I'm not the only.
    Since you'll be one of the judges, what kind of competition should we start? (OSRS, RS3, both?) And maybe we can start the competition anytime soon? Would be fun if there are a lot of people joining the competition.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPickle View Post
    Since you'll be one of the judges, what kind of competition should we start? (OSRS, RS3, both?) And maybe we can start the competition anytime soon? Would be fun if there are a lot of people joining the competition.
    Game doesn't bother me, as I'll have to setup stuff to run it either way. Last time I was a judge, we had a different competition for Members vs JMem. One was quickest to lvl 40 mining (with nothing preset, not even lodestones), the other was most logs banked in one hour (several accounts ran each script, average score giving result). Quality was not a measuring point for the junior script, merely efficiency (and holy crap did @cosmasjdz; kick ass). I think we should ignore quality again for jmem to encourage more to join.

So... Speed based challenge, no equipment, free accounts, but lodestones can be had and world can be pre-selected. Combat would be too challenging. Quests are also too challenging. Maybe Power-fishing from lvl 1? Or runecrafting starting with ess/tiara? Or maybe cutting logs -> arrow shafts (10k rush maybe)?

We could also come up with a list of ideas and then put out a poll of what people would like. Could even let multiple be selected so we really just end up with most-liked overall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I would be happy to join if its OSRS.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Game doesn't bother me, as I'll have to setup stuff to run it either way. Last time I was a judge, we had a different competition for Members vs JMem. One was quickest to lvl 40 mining (with nothing preset, not even lodestones), the other was most logs banked in one hour (several accounts ran each script, average score giving result). Quality was not a measuring point for the junior script, merely efficiency (and holy crap did @cosmasjdz; kick ass). I think we should ignore quality again for jmem to encourage more to join.

So... Speed based challenge, no equipment, free accounts, but lodestones can be had and world can be pre-selected. Combat would be too challenging. Quests are also too challenging. Maybe Power-fishing from lvl 1? Or runecrafting starting with ess/tiara? Or maybe cutting logs -> arrow shafts (10k rush maybe)?

We could also come up with a list of ideas and then put out a poll of what people would like. Could even let multiple be selected so we really just end up with most-liked overall.
    I like the idea of a poll! Maybe we should make a deadline to add ideas? So we can start the competition within two weeks?

Maybe people can come up with ideas in this thread. I'll add them to the OP, so we can start a poll!

My idea is: get 5 skills to level 20 the fastest on a fresh account (would be challenging).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Longest and most recent (time stamped) proggy.

largest bank on a fresh account from skills only.

start a fresh account and merch to 100m, not allowed to look at GE prices online, must flip your gp the hard way?

fastest SOLO dungeoneering 99.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

My idea is: get 5 skills to level 20 the fastest on a fresh account (would be challenging).
    That's a cool idea, may be hard for beginner scripters though. I like the chop + fletch 10k arrowshafts on a fresh account idea.

E: If you get quite a few entries, I may be able to help judge (or if Kevin goes inactive).

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

osr, color only and im in

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    osr, color only and im in
    Do you have an idea about what kind of competition?

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Do you have an idea about what kind of competition?
    runecrafting sounds cool, f2p (air/earth/water/fire/mind/body)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Cool I was waiting for one of these

Some questions:

1. I don't use SRL. Would I have to submit my entire custom made API (as it would be required for whatever script I make to run), or are for example video submissions fine?
    2. I also use an old version of SMART. Is that okay?
    3. How/when would I give a donation for this event
    4. Would it be possible to get SRL Member from this? I haven't ever applied because again I don't use SRL.. Biggest roadblock for me when it comes to posting/contributing

If I do compete, personally I'd rather do RS3 as I've never played, botted, or even looked at OSR. But I'd still give it a shot I suppose. It would be great to know soon so I can take a look at OSR if needed.

EDIT: Some questions were answered in the Q&A thread

https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56907

I guess I would in fact have to submit my entire include if I competed, or I'd have to use SRL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skollstagg View Post

Some questions:

1. I don't use SRL. Would I have to submit my entire custom made API (as it would be required for whatever script I make to run), or are for example video submissions fine?
    4. Would it be possible to get SRL Member from this? I haven't ever applied because again I don't use SRL.. Biggest roadblock for me when it comes to posting/contributing

If I do compete, personally I'd rather do RS3 as I've never played, botted, or even looked at OSR. But I'd still give it a shot I suppose. It would be great to know soon so I can take a look at OSR if needed.

I guess I would in fact have to submit my entire include if I competed, or I'd have to use SRL
    What do you have in your include? Genuinely curious. and why the older version of smart?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I... why? o.O

As for this:

What are the prizes?
    Competition Winner cup. For junior members a promotion to SRL Member is likely to be granted. For all others, winning a competition doesn't hurt their chances.
    That was written in 2010. I don't think it's applicable any more, it certainly didn't happen when I won a competition. If anything, it should probably me removed.

EDIT: In fact, most of the stickies in the competitions forum really don't apply unless the competition host(s) is going to adhere to them.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I decided to make my own include as a way to learn, and frankly I prefer my include to SRL overall. The entire thing revolves around a single function.

I'll be using SRL for the competition though, because submitting dozens of include files with thousands of lines of code is silly

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
    That's a cool idea, may be hard for beginner scripters though. I like the chop + fletch 10k arrowshafts on a fresh account idea.

E: If you get quite a few entries, I may be able to help judge (or if Kevin goes inactive).
    I have never been 100% inactive for more than a week or so - I've always been reachable through the SRL Skype group, and I shall remain so at the very least (Hoodz, Sjoe, and many other members can reach me if they want to).
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    runecrafting sounds cool, f2p (air/earth/water/fire/mind/body)
    Oooh, I do like the possibility of a runecrafting level rush as well... Definitely harder than simple Air Crafting runs/hr, but we can leave that up to the JMem vote.

Some questions:

There are several people to have earned members without having great knowledge of SRL - or having published a script publicly at all. And there is at least one that never learned scripting at all. Simply contributing to the community can get you members, if done over a long period - but having low activity and low SRL knowledge combined does limit your chances, sorry

That said, as you prefer your include instead, it would be perfectly reasonable for you to edit SRL itself to make improvements you see in your own include (that would be a great way to gain favor through the powers that be )

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

I decided to make my own include as a way to learn, and frankly I prefer my include to SRL overall. The entire thing revolves around a single function.

I'll be using SRL for the competition though, because submitting dozens of include files with thousands of lines of code is silly
    I'm really curious about your include and would love to have a peak if you're cool with that?
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srlMW View Post
    I'm really curious about your include and would love to have a peak if you're cool with that?
    I'll PM you about it

If anyone has a comment about this please just PM me, since this thread isn't the place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I think this would be awesome. As slacky stated it would be nice if the contest was open to all. I would at least like to have the option of trying, even if it were decided only jrs could be rewarded.

Also, I think osrs powerfishing or osrs runecrafting would be really cool.
    Last edited by Stein; 07-06-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    I think this would be awesome. As slacky stated it would be nice if the contest was open to all. I would at least like to have the option of trying, even if it were decided only jrs could be rewarded.

Also, I think osrs powerfishing or osrs runecrafting would be really cool.
    Typically when we say Jr's, we mean everyone Jr and below - member and above are disallowed, Registered are fine to join

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agreeido View Post

start a fresh account and merch to 100m, not allowed to look at GE prices online, must flip your gp the hard way?

a lot of this is based off luck though

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agreeido View Post

All of these seem like ideas that a gold farmer or leecher would like to have for scripts...

Annyway, ive got 10$ for the winner, and dibs on a judge spot?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

I love tournaments.Would add to the prize pool ~20$.

Probably single skill powerleveling isnt much difficult but quite exciting and challenging to write and plan a strategy ahead. I would love to see something like 0-40 hunting or rc with some starting items like tiaras and hunter kits.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    All of these seem like ideas that a gold farmer or leecher would like to have for scripts...

Annyway, ive got 10$ for the winner, and dibs on a judge spot?
    Kevin did want to judge if some people help him, so I'll add you to the OP as judge!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmasjdz View Post
    I love tournaments.Would add to the prize pool ~20$.

Probably single skill powerleveling isnt much difficult but quite exciting and challenging to write and plan a strategy ahead. I would love to see something like 0-40 hunting or rc with some starting items like tiaras and hunter kits.
    Added to OP, we should start a poll soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anything osrs and I would be interested in participating.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Kevin did want to judge if some people help him, so I'll add you to the OP as judge!

Added to OP, we should start a poll soon!
    You didnt add my monies, but anyway.

Maybe we could do a task that is in both osrs and rs3, then allow for two different winners or something. one for rs3, one for osr.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    You didnt add my monies, but anyway.

Maybe we could do a task that is in both osrs and rs3, then allow for two different winners or something. one for rs3, one for osr.
    Woops, added! But I like the idea of both RS3 and OSR. Simply to attract more participants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information