Thread: Is there currently a way to record video with simba?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Default Is there currently a way to record video with simba?

For making debugging easier, I would like to be able to record a video of the client that simba is currently focused on. Is there a way of doing this that's available at this time?

Currently I just take a screenshot at terminate, but having a few minutes (and not many hours) of video before terminate would be pretty great. From my brief searching on here for one it doesn't seem like there is, but thought I'd ask incase anybody has any ideas they'd like to share.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

how would you know when to start recording such that you'd end up with your preferred amount of video when the script terminates?

i'm assuming you can't predict when the script will terminate, if it was predictable you wouldn't need video of it
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    how would you know when to start recording such that you'd end up with your preferred amount of video when the script terminates?

i'm assuming you can't predict when the script will terminate, if it was predictable you wouldn't need video of it
    Just do it like how dashcam videos work? Keep it constantly recording and overwriting before the last x minutes of time, so on termination you get from termination back to wherever you specify.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

^ Yeah, I agree with that.

I "recorded" these with Simba. If you can find a quick way to turn a bunch of individual frames into a video then you'll be golden.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post

The simplest way would probably something along the lines of: record fileName.videoFormat until X happens (e.g 5 minutes passes / one loop of something is completed / etc) or terminated. If not terminated then delete and start recording again (ideally with one extra recording inbetween).

The main issue really is just the ability to record that fileName.videoFormat, perhaps there's a video recorder somebody's made use of for something like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    ^ Yeah, I agree with that.

I "recorded" these with Simba. If you can find a quick way to turn a bunch of individual frames into a video then you'll be golden.
    Those were all individual pictures that simba took?
    I did do a bit of googling before and taking a ton of pictures and then doing something with windows built-in something was a sort've solution that might work out for putting the pictures together but sounds pretty meh. Will probably look into it, if I don't hear of anything better, and if it doesn't end up being super resource intensive.
    Last edited by acow; 11-01-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    The simplest way would probably something along the lines of: record fileName.videoFormat until X happens (e.g 5 minutes passes / one loop of something is completed / etc) or terminated. If not terminated then delete and start recording again (ideally with one extra recording inbetween).

The main issue really is just the ability to record that fileName.videoFormat, perhaps there's a video recorder somebody's made use of for something like this before?

Those were all individual pictures that simba took?
    I did do a bit of googling before and taking a ton of pictures and then doing something with windows built-in something was a sort've solution that might work out for putting the pictures together but sounds pretty meh. Will probably look into it, if I don't hear of anything better, and if it doesn't end up being super resource intensive.
    One word: Adderall

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

set up a procedure to take 24 screenshots per second, then join then together and play them back at 24fps like a standard movie
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Thread Information