Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The 250m Scripting Competition

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akarigar View Post
    I'd like to enter this competition, sounds like fun.

I just want to clarify something. How do you calculate 250 lines? For example:
    Simba Code:
    doThis();doThat();
    Simba Code:
    if isSomethingTrue() then doThis();

These fit on one line, but I wouldn't consider them to be one line of code. I like to use a decent amount of blank lines for spacing, and I may also add some comments. Are they considered as a line each?

I apologize if this question was already answered.
    blank lines and comments count as lines, and if this then that; is 1 line i believe

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undorak7 View Post
    blank lines and comments count as lines, and if this then that; is 1 line i believe
    Blank lines count, comments don't. It would make no sense to include comments in the line count because they're there as user documentation, not for the function of the script itself. Whether it be scripting or proper programming commenting is essential, it makes no sense to limit comments because you want to stay within the line count.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I'd like to enter this competition, sounds like fun.

I just want to clarify something. How do you calculate 250 lines? For example:
    Simba Code:
    doThis();doThat();
    Simba Code:
    if isSomethingTrue() then doThis();

These fit on one line, but I wouldn't consider them to be one line of code. I like to use a decent amount of blank lines for spacing, and I may also add some comments. Are they considered as a line each?

I apologize if this question was already answered.
    Added.

Read earlier in this thread for what not to do. White space is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    Blank lines count, comments don't. It would make no sense to include comments in the line count because they're there as user documentation, not for the function of the script itself. Whether it be scripting or proper programming commenting is essential, it makes no sense to limit comments because you want to stay within the line count.
    It doesn't matter what is on a line; a line is a line! The last end. should not be past line 250.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Added.
    Read earlier in this thread for what not to do. White space is always nice
    It doesn't matter what is on a line; a line is a line! The last end. should not be past line 250.
    Alright, fair enough. Just wonder what a custom TPA/ATPA function is. Is something like findColorsSpiralTolerance acceptable? If not, can you point to one or two functions that are or a tutorial which can shed more light on this matter.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Alright, fair enough. Just wonder what a custom TPA/ATPA function is. Is something like findColorsSpiralTolerance acceptable? If not, can you point to one or two functions that are or a tutorial which can shed more light on this matter.
    a custom TPA/ATPA find function is sth like this roughly:

Simba Code:
    UndorakObjectFinder (Color, Tol: integer, Hue, sat : Extended, Mouseovertext: array of string): boolean
    var
    x, y:integer;
    TPA: TPointArray
    begin

FindcolorsSpiralTolerance( x, y, TPA, color, tol, (2, hue, sat);

TPA.cluster(10);

{etc etc, you are supposed to do this :),
    here you add move mouse functions and
    whatever you want to do, so when you call
    it in the script you just have to do:
    UndorakObjectfinder(color,tol, hue,sat, ['banker']);
    instead of doing the same thing on each process you search for a color}

end;

this is a very rough example, since i made it fast and didnt even check it, its just so you get the idea.. You can look at other people's scripts to learn about custom ATPA/TPA functions!

@The Mayor; when you say ATPA/TPA function, it means it can be etiher ATPA or TPA? since i made only TPA function to save lines, it works the same though

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

That is absolutely ridiculous. Are you seriously saying that COMMENTS, an essential part of documentation in any language or piece of software, contribute to line count?

I'm sorry, but if that's the case then you really haven't thought this competition through. ;/
    Last edited by Incurable; 11-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

That is absolutely ridiculous. Are you seriously saying that COMMENTS, an essential part of documentation in any language or piece of software, contribute to line count?

I'm sorry, but if that's the case then you really haven't thought this competition through. ;/
    he cant be counting all the comment lines in all the scripts to then substract them from the total lines! heheh, i think it would've been fair 300 lines though.. since 250 its just waaay to little.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

he cant be counting all the comment lines in all the scripts to then substract them from the total lines! heheh, i think it would've been fair 300 lines though.. since 250 its just waaay to little.
    There's three ways of doing it:

1. Setting a rule that the script must be no more than 250 lines after being formatted with the Parser extension so that no one has any advantages or disadvantages based on preferred formatting style (suggested but shot down)
    2. Having each contestant count the number of comment lines that they have and giving them the benefit of the doubt
    3. Running each script through a program that removes comment lines but doesn't modify formatting, something that many people here could whip up in 15 minutes

Or if absolutely necessary, Mayor counts each individual comment line and subtracts it from the total lines in order to see whether the script passes 250 lines or not. It's really not that hard, it takes about a minute to count the amount of comment lines in a 250 line script. Judging the scripts is going to take time, so what's another total of ~30 minutes to confirm line counts? ;/

As for the line cap, I was skeptical about 250 lines at first, but I've grown to like it. It's a good number, and 300 lines would be giving just a little bit too much imo now that I've seen what can be done in 250.
    Last edited by Incurable; 11-07-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

1. Setting a rule that the script must be no more than 250 lines after being formatted with the Parser extension so that no one has any advantages or disadvantages based on preferred formatting style (suggested but shot down)
    2. Having each contestant count the number of comment lines that they have and giving them the benefit of the doubt
    3. Running each script through a program that removes comment lines but doesn't modify formatting, something that many people here could whip up in 15 minutes

Or if absolutely necessary, Mayor counts each individual comment line and subtracts it from the total lines in order to see whether the script passes 250 lines or not. It's really not that hard, it takes about a minute to count the amount of comment lines in a 250 line script. Judging the scripts is going to take time, so what's another total of ~30 minutes to confirm line counts? ;/

As for the line cap, I was skeptical about 250 lines at first, but I've grown to like it. It's a good number, and 300 lines would be giving just a little bit too much imo now that I've seen what can be done in 250.
    What you said makes sense, nothing is stopping us from deleting comments or formatting the script in whatever way before submitting. Might as well do that, right?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

I guess this is a fair test of how efficient can you write code and comments. You should only comment on things that NEED commented on, so it's not really that big of an issue of they're factored in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Anyone else amazed at what can be written in 250 lines? I didn't even think there would be room for a progress report at the end

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    I guess this is a fair test of how efficient can you write code and comments. You should only comment on things that NEED commented on, so it's not really that big of an issue of they're factored in.
    Comments are a part of documentation, most methods should be commented so that someone reading it can understand at a glance what, how, and why it does what it does; that's just a basic part of programming.

Instead of doing this:

Simba Code:
    { ============================================================================ )
      Procedure: GaussWait
      Description: Waits a period of time normally distributed in the given range
      Credit: Incurable, original idea (with better code) by Slacky
    ( ============================================================================ }

procedure GaussWait(min, max: integer);
    begin
      wait(gaussRangeInt(min, max));
    end;

... I've had to do this this:

Simba Code:
    procedure GaussWait(min, max: integer); // Waits a period of time normally distributed in the given range
    begin
    end;

The first is better formatted, gives credit where it's due, and is easier for another script writer to read without having to scroll past 80 characters to the right. The second is done purely for the sake of saving lines because "comments count".

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

a custom TPA/ATPA find function is sth like this roughly:

Simba Code:
    UndorakObjectFinder (Color, Tol: integer, Hue, sat : Extended, Mouseovertext: array of string): boolean
    var
    x, y:integer;
    TPA: TPointArray
    begin

FindcolorsSpiralTolerance( x, y, TPA, color, tol, (2, hue, sat);

TPA.cluster(10);

{etc etc, you are supposed to do this :),
    here you add move mouse functions and
    whatever you want to do, so when you call
    it in the script you just have to do:
    UndorakObjectfinder(color,tol, hue,sat, ['banker']);
    instead of doing the same thing on each process you search for a color}

end;

this is a very rough example, since i made it fast and didnt even check it, its just so you get the idea.. You can look at other people's scripts to learn about custom ATPA/TPA functions!

@The Mayor; when you say ATPA/TPA function, it means it can be etiher ATPA or TPA? since i made only TPA function to save lines, it works the same though
    It depends what the situation is. You might not need to split the TPA.

Yes comments are an essential part of documentation, but you’re not writing an include! Having a 20 line comment header for something that is self-explanatory is ridiculous.
    Simba Code:
    {------------------------------------------------------------------------------)
     @@@@ Function: findBanker: boolean

@@@@ Description: Looks for the banker // // Oh really! I would have never guessed!

@@@@ Made by: The Mayor // Oh you did? I would have never guessed!
    (------------------------------------------------------------------------------}

function findBanker(): boolean;
    var
      t: TTimeMarker; // t is a TTimeMarker // Oh it is! I would have never guessed!
    begin

end; // this is an 'end'  // sadfaice

You don’t need explain what srl-6 functions do, as those are already documented. You only need to explain something that is ambiguous to the reader, and even then, the comment don’t have to take up any lines.

Simba Code:
    mouseBox(intToBox(100, 150, 100, 150), MOUSE_RIGHT); // right clicking the top/left area of xx interface

How many lines did that comment take up? Zero, zilch, zip, nada, none

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Trollcrank View Post
    Anyone else amazed at what can be written in 250 lines? I didn't even think there would be room for a progress report at the end
    I've received about 10 entries so far, and even I'm amazed at what has been squeezed in 250 lines

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Comments are a part of documentation, most methods should be commented so that someone reading it can understand at a glance what, how, and why it does what it does; that's just a basic part of programming.

Instead of doing this:

Simba Code:
    { ============================================================================ )
      Procedure: GaussWait
      Description: Waits a period of time normally distributed in the given range
      Credit: Incurable, original idea (with better code) by Slacky
    ( ============================================================================ }

procedure GaussWait(min, max: integer);
    begin
    end;

... I've had to do this this:

Simba Code:
    procedure GaussWait(min, max: integer); // Waits a period of time normally distributed in the given range
    begin
    end;

The first is better formatted, gives credit where it's due, and is easier for another script writer to read without having to scroll past 80 characters to the right. The second is done purely for the sake of saving lines because "comments count".
    Although I do agree with your point about crediting people, if your code is neat it should be fairly obvious what it does. If something is confusing/ambigious/etc then sure, comment it explaining what it does, but not all functions need comments.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

My new comp is coming on monday. So no chance for me to make a script by then

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Yes comments are an essential part of documentation, but you’re not writing an include! Having a 20 line comment header for something that is self-explanatory is ridiculous.

You don’t need explain what srl-6 functions do, as those are already documented. You only need to explain something that is ambiguous to the reader, and even then, the comment don’t have to take up any lines.
    I used GaussWait as an example, and I have no idea where you're pulling the rest of that condescending nonsense from.

But whatever, I'm not going to continue, it's clear that we disagree and there's no point arguing about it. I'll still be submitting a script and I look forward to seeing what everyone else has produced.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

So nice to see so many people are actually submitting scripts! You guys are awesome!

All those people still unsure about the line limit

You guys realize that just removing random line feeds does make your script elligble to enter, but will imidiatly get you at the bottom of the rankings because you gave an hard to read script with bad standards.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    So nice to see so many people are actually submitting scripts! You guys are awesome!

All those people still unsure about the line limit

You guys realize that just removing random line feeds does make your script elligble to enter, but will imidiatly get you at the bottom of the rankings because you gave an hard to read script with bad standards.
    I believe the biggest "pain" for the line limit is that the only guideline is "Have some good standards and also legible code and also less than 251 lines" which is extremely subjective. Perhaps everyone should learn how Mayor codes because that way he'll like their standards more, or perhaps they should use the Parser extension, or perhaps they should follow a tutorial on proper standards.

The problem with those options is that they would all be different line amounts. Maybe Mayor likes to have spacing in his functions (I do in between "segments" of a function), which makes it more lines than a tutorial might require. The parser extension adds new lines in "else" statements, which is a waste of space, but it also makes the script very hard to follow (IMO) because of the lack of spacing anywhere through the functions.

The point is that the people I've talked to are trying to squeeze as many features into the script as possible to get the upper hand in the competition, and having things as subjective as "I'm going to rate you based on how I like your standards" is creating extreme difficulties in how this happens. ie "Well if I use the parser and then make all the else statements on the same lines, it makes the script illegible to Garrett but it will let me add in the playerform, hopefully Mayor reads better than Garrett does".

That doesn't even touch on my other huge problem with the competition ('You will be ranked higher if I think that you aren't as good at scripting') but I could write a whole essay on how terribly that will work out. It's nice in theory but again, implimenting an idea like that adds extreme subjectivity to it that only serves to frustrate the competitors.

Edit:

Since this sounds like I'm complaining I offer a solution to each problem.

1) Require that all scripts are formatted using the parser (except make all else statements on the same line because it doesn't make sense the way parser does it).
    2) Mark the scripts based on quality and performance, preferably marked by someone who doesn't even know what script is written by who.
    Last edited by 3Garrett3; 11-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    I believe the biggest "pain" for the line limit is that the only guideline is "Have some good standards and also legible code and also less than 251 lines" which is extremely subjective. Perhaps everyone should learn how Mayor codes because that way he'll like their standards more, or perhaps they should use the Parser extension, or perhaps they should follow a tutorial on proper standards.

The problem with those options is that they would all be different line amounts. Maybe Mayor likes to have spacing in his functions (I do in between "segments" of a function), which makes it more lines than a tutorial might require. The parser extension adds new lines in "else" statements, which is a waste of space, but it also makes the script very hard to follow (IMO) because of the lack of spacing anywhere through the functions.

The point is that the people I've talked to are trying to squeeze as many features into the script as possible to get the upper hand in the competition, and having things as subjective as "I'm going to rate you based on how I like your standards" is creating extreme difficulties in how this happens. ie "Well if I use the parser and then make all the else statements on the same lines, it makes the script illegible to Garrett but it will let me add in the playerform, hopefully Mayor reads better than Garrett does".

That doesn't even touch on my other huge problem with the competition ('You will be ranked higher if I think that you aren't as good at scripting') but I could write a whole essay on how terribly that will work out. It's nice in theory but again, implimenting an idea like that adds extreme subjectivity to it that only serves to frustrate the competitors.

Edit:

Since this sounds like I'm complaining I offer a solution to each problem.

1) Require that all scripts are formatted using the parser (except make all else statements on the same line because it doesn't make sense the way parser does it).
    2) Mark the scripts based on quality and performance, preferably marked by someone who doesn't even know what script is written by who.
    Sorry for short reply, gtg.

A signature competition is subjective. A scripting competition is only a bit subjective. Scripting standards are well defined:
    http://www.kaitnieks.com/scar/scriptingsta/

Imagine a small poem competition. The limit is half an A4 paper, of course, using Arial 5pt will give you plenty of room to write tons of stuff. But you will most likely lose the competition: it is not readable, it doesn't look nice and above all it is not short and powerfull like the other entries.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Sorry for short reply, gtg.

A signature competition is subjective. A scripting competition is only a bit subjective. Scripting standards are well defined:
    http://www.kaitnieks.com/scar/scriptingsta/

Imagine a small poem competition. The limit is half an A4 paper, of course, using Arial 5pt will give you plenty of room to write tons of stuff. But you will most likely lose the competition: it is not readable, it doesn't look nice and above all it is not short and powerfull like the other entries.
    The only thing I'm saying is that if scripting standards are well defined, it should be an explicit requirement that all scripts meet the scripting standards and they should be judged based on how well they meet the official standards. Being a casual bystander through this thread has given me the feel of very vague requirements in standards, which is causing undue stress among the competitors who are trying to maximize line usage without losing points in other areas. The whole point of the competition is to get non-members to script, which will only serve to help the community. Causing any stress over areas which could be more clearly defined is doing a disservice to the competition.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I used GaussWait as an example, and I have no idea where you're pulling the rest of that condescending nonsense from.

But whatever, I'm not going to continue, it's clear that we disagree and there's no point arguing about it. I'll still be submitting a script and I look forward to seeing what everyone else has produced.
    Don't worry too mush about them comments! There are much more important aspects (this isn't a commenting competition).

So nice to see so many people are actually submitting scripts! You guys are awesome!.
    Yes, very pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    My new comp is coming on monday. So no chance for me to make a script by then
    No worries, maybe next time!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    the biggest "pain" for the line limit....my other huge problem with the competition...I could write a whole essay on how terribly that will work out.

Edit:

I'm complaining
    This competition was designed to give new users the opportunity and motivation to code. For a large portion of the entrants, this will be the first script they have ever written.

The unspecific ‘laid back’ guidelines are proposed the way they are to foster creativity, independence, and more importantly, problem solving. I’m not going to propose outrageous ‘Olympic standards’ to people that are learning. If there were 5 different criteria for writing a comment, another 3 for where to place the ‘else’ in a conditional statement, another 2 for ‘spaces between lines’ do you think this ‘wall of rules’ would encourage someone who has never scripted before to enter this competition?

If there was no line limit, how many entries would I receive? If the criteria was too strict, how many entries would I receive? If I didn't weight it against current ability (thus not giving everybody an equal opportunity) how many entries would I receive? If you are questioning my ability to mark these appropriately, I have marked thousands of examinations in my time.

This is turning out to be the most successful competition ever to occur here at the Forums. While you are entitled to your opinion, you could have sent it to me via PM. All it’s done is cast a bad light on something which was so positive. You really should think before unleashing your undue criticism.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Best of luck to everyone participating. Unfortunately I had to bail out :\
    Previously known as; Annonymus.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

i'll probably be sending my script today.... its an amazing quantity of exactly 250 lines

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Annonymus View Post
    Best of luck to everyone participating. Unfortunately I had to bail out :\
    There is always a few

i'll probably be sending my script today.... its an amazing quantity of exactly 250 lines
    99% of the scripts I've received are exactly 250

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information