Thread: Learning To script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Default Learning To script.

Hello,

So i've been reading all the tutorials on scripting and have been able to make a couple of basic scripts as well as edit some public scripts to do different things. I was just wondering how other people have taught themselves to script?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

By picking apart others' scripts and learning from what they wrote. A lot of my knowledge is adapted from the knowledge of others.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Best way is to dive into a big project and challenge yourself. My second script was an essence miner, not because I was ever going to use the script, but because I knew it would be challenging and I would be forced to learn.

e: maybe my phrasing was a little aggressive. don't start something unless you know you can finish it. my point is that you will learn much faster if you're constantly increasing the scope and difficulty of your projects. start small, but don't stay small. it took me less than two weeks to reach the point where i could write any script that i needed.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Assuming RuneScape related...

Just play. When you think of something that would benefit you, break it down, do your research, and write it. I'm not talking something broad like, "I could really use a WC bot." You learn best when you have a personal interest in it. I could say, "Write me a summoner," but if you don't need it, odds are you'll lose interest and quit half way through.

And, like my GF loves to constantly point out, "You always remember stuff that interests you, nothing else." :P.

Edit: I must disagree with evil. I think diving into something too big and complicated, you're likely to get stuck, frustrated, and toss in the towel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    Assuming RuneScape related...

Just play. When you think of something that would benefit you, break it down, do your research, and write it. I'm not talking something broad like, "I could really use a WC bot." You learn best when you have a personal interest in it. I could say, "Write me a summoner," but if you don't need it, odds are you'll lose interest and quit half way through.

And, like my GF loves to constantly point out, "You always remember stuff that interests you, nothing else." :P.

Edit: I must disagree with evil. I think diving into something too big and complicated, you're likely to get stuck, frustrated, and toss in the towel.
    That's what i've started doing I start small then add more and more I made a rune power miner for the wildly then added some basic world hopping functions and have now started adding some banking function hardest bit is to get through the Gate and slash the webs haha.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    By picking apart others' scripts and learning from what they wrote. A lot of my knowledge is adapted from the knowledge of others.
    I find that this is one of the best resources you can have. The hardest thing I find is when you have 3 different scripts and they all use a different procedure to do the same thing plus side is you can gain knowledge and test to see which works best.
    Last edited by dodo; 06-22-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

1) Keep it simple stupid, dont go out trying to impress everyone. Go within your abilities then when you are comfortable push further.
    2) Don't be proud, ask for help but not before trying first.
    3) Do it for yourself and not for others, if you want to do it then do it. Interest is a powerful thing.
    4) Have fun! If you are getting bored, stop and let your endorphins reset.
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

When I joined a few years ago, I would simply Copy Paste code from other Script and adapt them for my Script.

Now, 5 years later (I am Programmer IRL), The best way to Learn is Clearly by Challenging Yourself! This is the most Precious Tip I can give you.
    You learn much more when you try to do things you can't do when you first started the Projet and I try to use as much as I can my Own Code and Not Copy Paste.
    I hate It when I ask someone to explain what their Code do and they can't explain it because they simply Copy Paste And It worked
    Last edited by DeniedHacker; 06-22-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dodo View Post
    Hello,

So i've been reading all the tutorials on scripting and have been able to make a couple of basic scripts as well as edit some public scripts to do different things. I was just wondering how other people have taught themselves to script?
    Good luck man! I'm doing the same. Feel free to send me a PM when you're able and we can see if we share what we learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m00ntan View Post
    Good luck man! I'm doing the same. Feel free to send me a PM when you're able and we can see if we share what we learn.
    Good luck to you to M00ntan and Thanks for the offer!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Make a goal, a big goal. Something tedious and intermediate. For example, your goal is to make a Miner that will walk to bank once inv is full. That goal would be perfect, why? Because you'll be covering walking/searching/banking/time/etc. This will make you strong and you'll have to work hard and just keep working towards the goal until you achieve it. Always ask questions.

Good luck,

P1nky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    Make a goal, a big goal. Something tedious and intermediate. For example, your goal is to make a Miner that will walk to bank once inv is full. That goal would be perfect, why? Because you'll be covering walking/searching/banking/time/etc. This will make you strong and you'll have to work hard and just keep working towards the goal until you achieve it. Always ask questions.

Good luck,

P1nky
    Thanks P1nky!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Personally i support the ones who say challenge yourself. Iv learned so much and was very interested in scripting when tooked green drags as one of the first scripts(ended to be around 3500 lines). After was done with it could code pretty much anything. Now writing bankstanding scripts is a pain cause they tooeazy and have headache because the only challange writing simple scripts is antiban and i tend to overdo it.

Atm working with osrs, tooked first scripts as rcing/combat/smithing. Got banned/bored and though again what could i do to make myself interested? So challenged myself and today after work my test bot will finish his second mages book The telegrab part was the most fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reading the tutorials, SRL Doc, other Scripts, and asking for help in chatRoom.
    Im currently working on a GE flipping script. Its challenging but not as hard as I thought it would be.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I used to used to run yew log choppers and it was making decent money for my main. I didn't really care about learning how to code I just wanted money. When drzzt released his red chin hunter bot (something that a lot of people said was impossible to do at the time) I became obsessed trying to rebuild it.

It took me a few months but I got the hang of writing bots by simply pulling apart other peoples scripts & eventually writing my own.

Thread Information