Thread: Setting up Simba & SRL-OSR

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Default Setting up Simba & SRL-OSR / SRL-F

To clear up a bit of confusion on setting up and running the newest Simba and SRL-OSR / SRL-F I've created this thread. It's simply a better alternative than referring new users to a random post on a separate thread. Something to keep in mind is the SRL-OSR include, at least, is actively being developed and therefore compile & runtime errors may occur in the future. I'll do my best to stay on top of such situations and provide help to the best of my ability here, along with modifications to this tutorial.

Step 1: Download Simba
    This one's easy, go to the development branch on Github and download your preferred version of Simba.

If you don't already have a Simba directory, make one now in your desired drive. I myself have mine placed as: C:/Simba/. Place your freshly downloaded Simba in this folder. Now run it as an administrator.

Step 2: Installing SRL-OSR
    Simba makes this step a breeze. With Simba open click on the Simba Packages button (yellow box icon), click the Add Package icon (plus icon), and in the URL box paste this address:
    Code:
    https://github.com/ollydev/SRL-Development
    For SRL-F:
    Code:
    https://github.com/J-Flight/SRL-F
    Press Ok. You should see release information within the Packages window. Ensure the Basic is selected and hit the Install button at the bottom. Close out Packages window and you're ready to go.

To confirm the installation was a success, try compiling the SRL-OSR include like so: (the Compile button is the gray gear icon)
    Simba Code:
    program new;
    {$I SRL/OSR.simba}

begin
    end.
    Or if using my version of SRL-OSR, run this code instead:
    Simba Code:
    program new;
    {$I SRL-F/OSR.simba}

begin
    end.

Step 3: Running a script
    So by this point you already have what you need installed and updated. If you're already familiar with running Simba scripts then you're all set. But for those of you just running your first script here's a quick image reference on selecting your game window:

This will set Simba's target to your specified game window. That should be all you need to get up and running. If you're having trouble with specific scripts or even writing your own then I recommend posting on the appropriate threads as this one is solely intended to help you install everything you need.

Another helpful tip is to set your in-game brightness to the max setting. It has nothing to do with installing of Simba & SRL but will be required for all scripts. Also 3rd party clients that have visual modifications or overlays will naturally interfere with, at least, SRL-OR. It's recommended using the official OSRS client. Questions or comments however are more than welcome, as I'll be more than happy to help if I'm able to.
    Last edited by Flight; 03-20-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Simple and to the point. Was a good reference for someone who has been gone a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Some additional points that come up sometimes when setting up for the first time too:
    • In game brightness needs to be set to maximum
    • Runelite may have issues with RemoteInput
    • Runelite plugins that change visual things effect SRL detecting interfaces (such as login time over report button, bank value and bank tabs)

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saml1991 View Post
    Some additional points that come up sometimes when setting up for the first time too:
    • In game brightness needs to be set to maximum
    • Runelite may have issues with RemoteInput
    • Runelite plugins that change visual things effect SRL detecting interfaces (such as login time over report button, bank value and bank tabs)
    Whereas they don't correlate to Simba & SRL-OSR installation they're noteworthy tips worth including. I'll add these in, thanks.
    Last edited by Flight; 09-02-2021 at 03:01 AM.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Good work! Very simple to get started!
    Discord: Guy#1693

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I followed this guide yesterday, ran a bot for 8 mins afterwards, seems to be working good!

Great guide thanks alot!

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Updated the guide on installing my modified version of SRL-OSR.

Why? My proposed additions to the include were being pushed through at a very slow rate, or were severely delayed. I cannot keep postponing updating & releasing scripts so I've cloned the include and made my necessary adjustments. To keep prevent overlap of my version versus the version found on Olly's Github page I've simply named it SRL-F as you'll see in your includes directory. It's not an entirely new include, only a version of SRL-OSR that I'll personally keep up-to-date. Of course feel free to submit pull requests directly to my Github page or drop me a PM of fixes / features you'd like to see added.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Hey buddy. I followed your guide and although Simba started the first time (successfully added the repositories), subsequent attempts to open are crashing. Crash log says:

Code:
    Simba 1400 encountered an unhandled exception.

Exception class: ELayoutException
    Exception message: Position range overflow in AnchorDockSplitter2.SendMoveSizeMessages: Left=256, Top=444432.
      $00517564
      $00520755
      $0052695D
      $0051E11F
      $006FB1F4
      $006FB3CA
      $006F45C8
      $0051B0BF
      $00524AAE
      $00524AE5
      $005248A2
      $00515E30
      $0051FB94
      $005163E5
      $0051C111
      $0043F7A5
      $00441EB3
    Any ideas? Using 32 bit Simba.

EDIT: Ok simply deleting and reinstalling has fixed it for now.
    Last edited by cause; 03-20-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    Hey buddy. I followed your guide and although Simba started the first time (successfully added the repositories), subsequent attempts to open are crashing. Crash log says:

Code:
    Simba 1400 encountered an unhandled exception.

Exception class: ELayoutException
    Exception message: Position range overflow in AnchorDockSplitter2.SendMoveSizeMessages: Left=256, Top=444432.
      $00517564
      $00520755
      $0052695D
      $0051E11F
      $006FB1F4
      $006FB3CA
      $006F45C8
      $0051B0BF
      $00524AAE
      $00524AE5
      $005248A2
      $00515E30
      $0051FB94
      $005163E5
      $0051C111
      $0043F7A5
      $00441EB3
    Any ideas? Using 32 bit Simba.

EDIT: Ok simply deleting and reinstalling has fixed it for now.
    Odd indeed. You're the second person to report such an error to me. I'm unclear as to what causes it, on top of that I've never run into that issue so I'm unsure of how to recreate it. I did hear from jacz24 that it may be remedied by changing the client layout (whether to a new layout then back again or just remaining with the adjusted layout, I don't know). On a separate note, as KeepBotting pointed out, there's no real reason to recommend using the 32-bit version of Simba so I'll update the OP to reflect that recommendation. I was unaware the reasoning behind why we opted in for 32bit to begin with; thank you for the explanation, KeepBotting.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Odd indeed. You're the second person to report such an error to me. I'm unclear as to what causes it, on top of that I've never run into that issue so I'm unsure of how to recreate it. I did hear from jacz24 that it may be remedied by changing the client layout (whether to a new layout then back again or just remaining with the adjusted layout, I don't know). On a separate note, as KeepBotting pointed out, there's no real reason to recommend using the 32-bit version of Simba so I'll update the OP to reflect that recommendation. I was unaware the reasoning behind why we opted in for 32bit to begin with; thank you for the explanation, KeepBotting.
    No worries man. I'll use 64 bit Simba now anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

If it's changing fishing spots too quickly prior to the spot itself being null - do we want to increase or decrease the Shift Threshold %?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

@flgiht, what about RSWalker or other includes?

see: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177796
    Last edited by footballjds; 08-28-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am running this at barb village and it is somehow opening the report abuse screen in game every time I try running it. Haven't been able to try anywhere else yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

closing and reopening the osrs client and simba usually fixes the issue. this happens quite frequently if u switch between different scripts/libraries. hope it helps.

Thread Information