Thread: F2P for old school..

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Default F2P for old school..

http://services.runescape.com/m=news...ay?oldschool=1

Thoughts?

If they open up f2p for OSRS it will die faster than sperm.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitta View Post

If they open up f2p for OSRS it will die faster than sperm.
    How so?
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    How so?
    Here's one way (I doubt the way op's talking about):
    since it's free, people can check back on rs07 without paying for p2p, since they have nothing to lose if they decide to quit right away (as opposed to having paid for a month of p2p), they'd be less likely to stick around for a while to give a real chance (kind of like how if you torrent a game, and find it boring at the beginning, you'd be more likely to just uninstall and forget about it).

so, f2p could result in less of an [initial] attention span

regarding bots (I'm guessing that's what op's talking about), I don't think it'll make a noticeable impact since you can already bot rs07 for free (2 week free trial) and the game hasn't been hurt by that too much (people throw bots at jagex suicidally in f2p and jagex keeps gathering more and more data about bots from that)

my 2 cents anyways ^_^

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No Lifer View Post
    Here's one way (I doubt the way op's talking about):
    since it's free, people can check back on rs07 without paying for p2p, since they have nothing to lose if they decide to quit right away (as opposed to having paid for a month of p2p), they'd be less likely to stick around for a while to give a real chance (kind of like how if you torrent a game, and find it boring at the beginning, you'd be more likely to just uninstall and forget about it).

so, f2p could result in less of an [initial] attention span

regarding bots (I'm guessing that's what op's talking about), I don't think it'll make a noticeable impact since you can already bot rs07 for free (2 week free trial) and the game hasn't been hurt by that too much (people throw bots at jagex suicidally in f2p and jagex keeps gathering more and more data about bots from that)

my 2 cents anyways ^_^
    Tbh I doubt it will effect it much, since many of my friends want to try it out before they pay for membership but dislike the 2 week limited trial. But, even if they don't announce perm f2p I think the GE will help it out a lot. Since most of my friends kept on asking me to buy stuff for them since sellers would not come to f2p worlds for them, which really put them off :/
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

F2P will bring in a lot of new low level players. If it's kept P2P the playercount will just dwindle away as people quit because there's not enough new players to replace them.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    F2P will bring in a lot of new low level players. If it's kept P2P the playercount will just dwindle away as people quit because there's not enough new players to replace them.
    I have to assume, especially hearing people on this site talking, that once the GE is released and even with F2P that OSR will start to take over RS3.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Do you know that it's only one guy dealing with macroing in old school? I've botted several 99's and a lot of GP by now and I'm safe still.

I'm pretty sure all the botting communities will bot like nuts on f2p. They have no idea what they are getting into with the G.E and f2p at the same time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Do you know that it's only one guy dealing with macroing in old school? I've botted several 99's and a lot of GP by now and I'm safe still.

I'm pretty sure all the botting communities will bot like nuts on f2p. They have no idea what they are getting into with the G.E and f2p at the same time.
    I'm sure once Jacmob finished with the re-sizeable mode, he'll work on botwatch and get the bot situation down again
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Tbh I doubt it will effect it much, since many of my friends want to try it out before they pay for membership but dislike the 2 week limited trial. But, even if they don't announce perm f2p I think the GE will help it out a lot. Since most of my friends kept on asking me to buy stuff for them since sellers would not come to f2p worlds for them, which really put them off :/
    yeah the increased players trying it out definitely more than makes up for the lower attention span (imo ofc). I think they're good updates for the longterm health of the game, but only time will tell

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

I personally don't think it would make such an impact on the botting situation, surely not compared to the Grand Exchange. I'm really hoping they decide to leave F2P permanently as that's the only way I can play right now.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Permanent F2P + GE is enough to make me want to play it (well, bot mostly, but sometimes legit). I hope that they both go through regardless of the inflation that will follow.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

If permanent f2p ever gets implemented, iScripts for OSRS will become a thing.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I personally don't think it would make such an impact on the botting situation, surely not compared to the Grand Exchange. I'm really hoping they decide to leave F2P permanently as that's the only way I can play right now.
    Need members? hit me up

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Need members? hit me up
    That's fine my friend but this gives me (forces me) a chance to work on some F2P scripts and some other necessary things with AL.

Current projects:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Free to play OSRS yes, but pleeaaassee no G.E.
    It's already passed lol
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

It's already passed lol
    Sorry I haven't been on the RS Website in a while, got all my info from this thread... Apparently not a good enough reader. That sucks, Free Trade made the game so fun.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Sorry I haven't been on the RS Website in a while, got all my info from this thread... Apparently not a good enough reader. That sucks, Free Trade made the game so fun.
    What? Free trade is still there. But, you have the GE now to buy and sell things.
    #slack4admin2016

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

It'll be great for OSRS. This is the last straw, the last piece that Jagex needs to complete to renovate Runescape and raise the game back from the dead.

Sure it will bring in an influx of botters, but it will also bring a lot of new players.
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

OSRS really needs f2p, it's rough buying rs3 mems just to play osrs & you could of done things for free in osrs instead of having to pay.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    It'll be great for OSRS. This is the last straw, the last piece that Jagex needs to complete to renovate Runescape and raise the game back from the dead.

Sure it will bring in an influx of botters, but it will also bring a lot of new players.
    It'll definitely bring in far more botters than new players, perhaps an order of magnitude more (Like back in 08-09 when like 70%+ of people were bots unless Jagex has significantly upgraded botwatch recently). No investment in order to bot means more incentive to create many more bots without caring too much whether they get banned (just xfer the gold). Welcome back to the era of the yewbot armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I honestly don't think jagex would bring permanent f2p to rs, why free when you can charge money for it?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jam5796 View Post
    I honestly don't think jagex would bring permanent f2p to rs, why free when you can charge money for it?
    They will if people vote for it in the poll.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jam5796 View Post
    because people won't pay money for f2p old school nor will they play a trial

TBH I think f2p will benifit P2P in the aspect that clue scroll rewards will become valuable.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    It'll definitely bring in far more botters than new players, perhaps an order of magnitude more (Like back in 08-09 when like 70%+ of people were bots unless Jagex has significantly upgraded botwatch recently). No investment in order to bot means more incentive to create many more bots without caring too much whether they get banned (just xfer the gold). Welcome back to the era of the yewbot armies.
    Well perhaps some but I don't believe it will be much worse than it is now. Aside from the fact that F2P still doesn't allow cutting yew trees or fishing lobsters, they do plan to make these changes as well:

• On F2P restrict trading of resources off an account until a certain amount of quest points have been reached
    • On F2P and after level 20 combat you do not receive combat XP for damaging an NPC if your combat level is more than twice its combat level
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    TBH I think f2p will benifit P2P in the aspect that clue scroll rewards will become valuable.
    That's a good point. It also gives a higher market for P2P-ers to sell some resources that F2P-ers cannot acquire, such as lobsters.

Current projects:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information