Thread: How can Jagex Stop bots?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Default How can Jagex Stop bots?

Hello,

Lets picture that you would be working for jagex to stop bots, how would you approach this withouth interfering with the normal player gameplay?

Lets see some interesting suggestions!

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    I don't see why these threads come up so often and it's always the same thing :S "How to detect SMART or Simba".. Since most use Windows (most stuff below is native).. Anyway, you could just ask Benland100 how to detect SMART. He will most likely tell you the best way. For Simba, it's harder.. by a lot.. Go to gamedeception or unknowncheats and look at the decompiled code and circumventions for many detection engines (ie: punkbuster) to see how they do it: http://www.unknowncheats.me/forum/anti-cheat-bypass/ Post a thread on rohitab or w/e.. they will tell you exactly how a company could detect you. Some games are so serious about cheating, they ban you by hardware ID's.. lol.

Here's the most naive ways I could come up with (by no means advanced):

Simba:

- ReadProcessMemory from Winapi could scan for a specific signature in each process (perhaps the layout of one of the functions that hasn't changed in ages). Just like how malware scan for signatures (and UGC condition zero servers).

- Get each process's physical location on disk, map the file, and scan for known signature and name.

- Scan each process's import and export tables.. Look for "FindCol" or "FindColorTol", etc..

- Scan each process's folder for .dll's or export table to find all loaded modules.. Read each dll's export table. Look for tesseract's exports, smart's exports, etc..

- If simba uses SendInput and set the dwExtraInfo as the hwnd or anything that can be used to identify it, you can read this with a low-level keyboard or mouse hook. And yes, that would rule out teamviewer and vnc (no false positives).

- Scan the resource table (almost never changes). Read the resource strings, images, etc..

- Install a global hook module (installs to every process automatically aka low-level hook [similar to keyboard mouse hook]) and hook any GDI functions that deal with bitmaps (GetDC is extremely common; if not, a must). Check if the returned DC or HWND parameter is that of our applet. Ban for attempting to screen scrape. Unhook upon termination (as usual).

- Install a global hook module. Do whatever you want to detect whatever you want. Global hooks are installed into every process (FRAPS for example.. uses such a hook to decide what dx applications to capture).

Smart:

- Scan module tables: LoadLibraryEx("some_module.dll", NULL, DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES); and check for exported function names that don't belong. Anything beginning with SMART_. You'd of course enumerate each module from all processes running (keep a hash table of the names of modules checked already.. this way you don't check the same ones twice [user32, kernel32, etc.. are loaded by every process always]). This is actually very fast. Also can be done in a thread.

- Scan the PEB and TEB tables (undocumented winapi) to see if any unknown modules were loaded once or twice (opengl or direct-x or any smart plugins and smart itself.. can be patched). VAC2 does this (or at least.. they used to. Not sure if they still do). The PEB alone contains: ProcessParameters, BeingDebugged, ImageBaseAddress, ImageSubsystem (can be used to see if it is a DLL or EXE.. Smart is a dll), .

- Scan the PEB table (could also just use NtQueryInformationProcess to get a pointer to it) and read: RTL_USER_PROCESS_PARAMETERS. SMART passes specific parameters upon creation of the process. RTL_USER_PROCESS_PARAMETERS contains: CurrentDirectory, ImagePathName, CommandLine, DebugFlags, WindowTitle.

- ipcs -m on linux will give a list of processes using SharedMemory. Since RS does not use it and has no need for it, you can ban if your process id shows up in the list (granted, this is a pretty bad technique). SMART relies on SHM. On windows, use: GetMappedFileName.

- Scan the title bar (ineffective)

- Get the highest parent of the applet owner. Use reflection to get the hwnd, call GetWindowClass, if it's not the regular, ban.. Most bots use SunAwtFrame (a JFrame).. but a browser doesn't.. Would probably have to take measures to not ban that RSBuddy thing.

- Call CreateToolhelpSnapshot(TH32CS_SNAPMODULE, processID) to find a list of all modules loaded (same as peb/teb.. patch peb/teb, it disables this). Scan each module's import and export table for smart's exports, OpenGL smart plugin export, direct-x smart plugin export, etc..

- Call List<String> getInputArguments() to get a list of JVM arguments. Look for -Xbootclasspath and ban.. Use JNI to make this not easily patchable by regular java programmers. There is no browser out there that uses -Xbootclasspath and neither does the official client.

- Use JNI, attach to current JVM using JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs (from jni.dll/jni.so). Attach to the first JVM found (because usually only one JVM can be ran per process). After attaching, call whatever you want. I'd call "env->FindClass" to find classes that are known to be in bots. Can be used for injection bots as well.. Hard to remove for the average Java programmers. You have a pointer to the JVM, environment, etc.. You can do whatever you feel like.

- To prevent removal of library loading from the Java side (such as System.load or System.loadLibrary), I'd have the module ping the server upon loading with the same identifier they use when a jar is distributed per person. That way, if you log in and the server doesn't have the ping + extra info for that client, ban the user for circumvention.

- Implement a java security policy to prevent reflection and "setAccessible": System.setSecurityManager(new SecurityManager()) should do the trick. Otherwise a custom security manager can be used.

- Call NtQueryInformationProcess (undocumented) and check for the ProcessImageFileName and ban upon known names. Call the same function to check for the parent process id and name and signature (because Simba start's SMART with shellexecute, simba would be detected here and not SMART itself).

Could go on forever.. Now stop asking these questions. Every bot is detectable in infinite amounts of ways (and the dumbest/naive but easiest ways are shown above).. Do they do it? No.. do they have time for it? maybe.. Do they have the knowledge on their team? Maybe.. You'll never know.. It can be done (natively as mostly shown above or on the java side [barely shown above]). Cat-mouse game goes on; it is a risk you take with ALL bots.

You'll know if you're being hunted (everyone would be banned.. not just you) and that's all the proof you need..
    Best post on the subject I've seen yet. Maybe we should make a sticky for all these threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Nice try Mod Mark.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

i read a whitepaper by a phd candidate a few years back about bot detection. in summary, he concluded the easiest way to detect bots was by using regression to determine the frequency and continuity of actions. the idea was to use server wide telemetry to find certain outliers that differentiated from from organic human behavior

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I'd put captchas in the game required to solve for specific actions. And ofc a way to pay in RuneCoins to avoid the captchas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastler View Post
    I'd put captchas in the game required to solve for specific actions. And ofc a way to pay in RuneCoins to avoid the captchas.
    I'm pretty sure everyone in Runescape would quit if this happened captcha is by far the most annoying thing on the internet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

This was actually done in RuneScape classic, people had to sleep in-game every once in a while and had to solve a captcha before continuing. There was actually an IRC system so that botters could solve them for others and get credits to have them solved for their own bot. (If I remember correctly)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This was actually done in RuneScape classic, people had to sleep in-game every once in a while and had to solve a captcha before continuing. There was actually an IRC system so that botters could solve them for others and get credits to have them solved for their own bot. (If I remember correctly)
    Yep Chris, you remember right. As in, good ol' SleepWalker (link is to Kaitnieks.com page, "SleepWalker history"-section has some nice details aswell)

I personally typed thousands of words in it back then. Fun times, hehe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambint View Post
    Best post on the subject I've seen yet. Maybe we should make a sticky for all these threads
    Very interesting post man, good to know that bots are actually quite simple to detect, but I think jagex is holding back a lot more because their not allowed to scan files/process on our machine? They spent so much time on the botwatch, it's hard to think that they won't do some of the options that were listed above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Nice try Mod Mark.
    Had me laughing there

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

This was done in RuneScape Classic. Sleeping bags. Of course the scene quickly found a way around that ... good old Kaitnieks and his SleepWalker program.

E: didn't see Chris and Jani's posts above
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

100% guaranteed way to stop bots: Kill Runescape.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tls View Post
    100% guaranteed way to stop bots: Kill Runescape.
    Inevitable, no? But if RuneScape dies, so does Jagex. I'm not aware of any other product that they produce as a company.

So technically, that won't be Jagex stopping bots ... it'll be a realization of the impossibility of RuneScape's infinite continuation...
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Inevitable, no? But if RuneScape dies, so does Jagex. I'm not aware of any other product that they produce as a company.

So technically, that won't be Jagex stopping bots ... it'll be a realization of the impossibility of RuneScape's infinite continuation...
    Irregardless, it would stop bots.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Block N Load. It's very very good imo.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Block N Load. It's very very good imo.
    Huh?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Huh?
    It's another game made by Jagex.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Huh?
    As far as I can tell, it's sort of a first person shooter MOBA mixed with Minecraft.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adc View Post
    As far as I can tell, it's sort of a first person shooter MOBA mixed with Minecraft.
    What i played of it on the free steam weekend they had, it was a bit meh. It didnt really have any real replay value for me. I did enjoy mining udnerground and popping up at the enemy base but it got old after a few games.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ste View Post
    What i played of it on the free steam weekend they had, it was a bit meh. It didnt really have any real replay value for me. I did enjoy mining udnerground and popping up at the enemy base but it got old after a few games.
    I'm sure it's a rehash of the age-old elements that makes games like Minecraft, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress fun to play.

No doubt it's enjoyable while the novelty lasts, but from the trailer, it looks like "League of FortressCraft-Strike."

Thread Information