Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Default What do you want to see?

Hey guys,

This is just a general thread to gauge community opinion on the forum and the way things are currently set up. So, if you have any gripes with the way things are (e.g. the forum-layout), please let us know and a way to improve it and we shall take it under consideration

All users, regardless of rank, are welcome and encouraged to submit opinions/rants on the site.

Please keep feedback mature and intelligible.

Please NOTE: This is purely for the website and not for Simba/SRL-related development.

Regards,
    ~ The SRL Staff.
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100637
    ^ Hobbit was supposed to come back to this when he had the time but honestly I haven't seen him online once since then. I hope everything's ok...

I see that's in the Members section so I'll quote myself here for the sake of < SRL Members:

Quote Originally Posted by Flight
    Heya, there's a few changes I'd like to see to certain ranks & forums. Please give me some input on what you agree with or don't agree with, or if you've anything you'd also like to see change do post here and I'll add it to this list.

Keep in mind, these are only my opinions, they are not concert, they're just what I believe would be practical changes.

Forum suggestions section
    -Someone had suggested this not too long ago. I believe it was suggested by just a registered user, thus it didn't get so much attention. I personally think it'd be nice to have a place where users can share suggestions on changes they'd like to see on the forums, or atleast Members / Jr Members and above if it calls for it.

Public Scripts & OSR Scripts moderators
    -Those selected to moderate and maintain the public scripts section should absolutely have the same power in the Old School Scripts section. There's really a need there for active moderation yet as far as I can see only Super Moderators & Administrators can maintain this section at this time. I suggest all current moderators of the Public Scripts section as well as SRL Developers have the ability to moderate this section in addition to the Public Scripts section. In addition, perhaps also the team appointed to maintaining the SRL-OSR library.

Categories for OSR Scripts section
    -This speaks for itself. There's quite a few scripts stacking up in the newly added Old School Scripts section and honestly there needs to be origination here. It's obvious OSR will draw a lot of attention and, I assume, will constantly draw in more scripts. It will only grow from here on out, so before it really gets crowded in there with random scripts scattered around let's make categories exactly like what we have in the Public Scripts section.

Additional sections in OSR
    -I suggest a Research & Development section for OSR

Small tweak to the Help and Tutorials section
    -Because tutorials may be made but differ between RS2 and OSR I suggest an optional tag to be added to the top of a thread title, choosing between "(none)", "[RS2]", "[All]" and "[OSR]". It's not really high priority but it would clarify between various tutorials posted.

OSR Scripts added to the Quick Links
    -That section receives a lot traffic, let's make it easily accessible just as the Public Scripts section is.

I had more but that's all I can think of for the time being. If I remember any more or if others have suggestions I'll add them here.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Forum suggestions section
    -Someone had suggested this not too long ago. I believe it was suggested by just a registered user, thus it didn't get so much attention. I personally think it'd be nice to have a place where users can share suggestions on changes they'd like to see on the forums, or atleast Members / Jr Members and above if it calls for it.
    That's what this thread is for

Public Scripts & OSR Scripts moderators
    -Those selected to moderate and maintain the public scripts section should absolutely have the same power in the Old School Scripts section. There's really a need there for active moderation yet as far as I can see only Super Moderators & Administrators can maintain this section at this time. I suggest all current moderators of the Public Scripts section as well as SRL Developers have the ability to moderate this section in addition to the Public Scripts section. In addition, perhaps also the team appointed to maintaining the SRL-OSR library.
    Nice idea. I'll see what others (higher up) think about this and get their opinion before committing to it, though.

Categories for OSR Scripts section
    -This speaks for itself. There's quite a few scripts stacking up in the newly added Old School Scripts section and honestly there needs to be origination here. It's obvious OSR will draw a lot of attention and, I assume, will constantly draw in more scripts. It will only grow from here on out, so before it really gets crowded in there with random scripts scattered around let's make categories exactly like what we have in the Public Scripts section.
    I was just about to get working on this. Just after I finish touching up a new section dedicated to an integral part of our community as a thanks. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Additional sections in OSR
    -I suggest a Research & Development section for OSR
    Research and development for OSR? What do you mean?

Small tweak to the Help and Tutorials section
    -Because tutorials may be made but differ between RS2 and OSR I suggest an optional tag to be added to the top of a thread title, choosing between "(none)", "[RS2]", "[All]" and "[OSR]". It's not really high priority but it would clarify between various tutorials posted.
    Unfortunately, I cannot really see this working out, as aren't most guides general and can be applied to either RS/OSR (aside from a few specific ones, e.g., "How to setup XXXXX")?

OSR Scripts added to the Quick Links
    -That section receives a lot traffic, let's make it easily accessible just as the Public Scripts section is.
    Reasonable request.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

About the R&D section for OSR; I was thinking along the lines of randoms development. Perhaps CynicRus's converted solver plugins would be a good example, as well as the unofficial OSR version of SPS. Upcoming projects related to this version of RS (and SRL-OSR itself).

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Aww yea, am I special and you're happy to see me? :3

OT: Nice idea here Daniel and some good ideas there Flight!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

i support the idea for categories for OSR scripts

EDIT: well i feel silly it's all ready there now

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I would like to rant about SRL Stats being broken for over a year, but I don't think it falls under the 'website related' category so I will keep my mouth shut

E: Also I've reported about 20+ outdated scripts in the past (outdated well before EOC) and they are still clogging up the working scripts section.
    Last edited by The Mayor; 06-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

1) let lape have its own catagory, it's not popular now but a lot of people still don't know about it because its a sub catagory
    2) osr sections like flight said
    3) option for us to delete threads in all sections, there are still some sections were I cannot delete my own threads
    4) maybe a once a year srl event were people get prizes, like srl superlatives, like catagory for best scripter, most inactive staff, most likely to give an infraction, biggest spammer, fastest learner, etc etc. winner will receive a cup that they will have for that year until the next event.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)

[spoiler]I need these tags, please![/spoiler]
    Would be really useful.

Good example => String Handling Commands <= I could make that topic so much more cleaner and that way easier to read, using spoiler tags.

So yeah, I would love to see spoiler tags added to forums.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    I would like to rant about SRL Stats being broken for over a year, but I don't think it falls under the 'website related' category so I will keep my mouth shut

E: Also I've reported about 20+ outdated scripts in the past (outdated well before EOC) and they are still clogging up the working scripts section.
    Give me script mod powers and I will destroy these scripts!!!

And already love the new OSR sections!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EngageTheRage View Post
    i support the idea for categories for OSR scripts

EDIT: well i feel silly it's all ready there now
    Already done

It totally does! I didn't realise it was broken I'll have to ask Wizzup (as he is the maintainer of SRL stats).

I'll get onto that. The problem is that there are multiple sections where things get reported. And the "reported scripts" section is several sections deep, which staff (obviously) seldom check.

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    1) let lape have its own catagory, it's not popular now but a lot of people still don't know about it because its a sub catagory
    I don't think Lape deserves it's own category, as it falls under Simba development (hell, not even PascalScript has its own (sub)forum). People will know about it soon, when SRL-6 is shortly released (and requires Lape).

2) osr sections like flight said
    Done

3) option for us to delete threads in all sections, there are still some sections were I cannot delete my own threads
    I'll have to look into this. If there was a specific reason as to why people aren't allowed to delete their threads/posts in some sections and not others, then I won't change it. Otherwise, I don't see why not

4) maybe a once a year srl event were people get prizes, like srl superlatives, like catagory for best scripter, most inactive staff, most likely to give an infraction, biggest spammer, fastest learner, etc etc. winner will receive a cup that they will have for that year until the next event.
    Members regularly run and participate competitions for scripting achievements. Unfortunately, we won't have any prizes for those who continuously break forum rules/for irrelevant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Janilabo View Post
    [spoiler]I need these tags, please![/spoiler]
    Would be really useful.

Good example => String Handling Commands <= I could make that topic so much more cleaner and that way easier to read, using spoiler tags.

So yeah, I would love to see spoiler tags added to forums.
    That would require a plugin, which Hobbit & Wizzup? (the ones that can install them) are not too keen on (and for good reason too; there has been too many security issues surrounding them). Nonetheless, I'll still bring it up and here's hoping they agree

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Also, when moving all the threads (*phew*). I think I misplaced a firemaking script. Could please let me know where it is?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Also, when moving all the threads (*phew*). I think I misplaced a firemaking script. Could please let me know where it is?
    Im Quoting this post because I don't want to quote the massive response above

Ok, so scratch the role breaking ones, we could still have racial yearly/6 month prizes:

Best srl scripter - cup
    Most improved - cup
    Best additude - cup
    Most helpful - cup
    Best script (osr/Eoc) - person gets their thread stickied in its section

The winner gets a special cup, and on the next event they "pass" it to the next winner

The winner could be detirmined by srl junior+ votes, srl members could nominate people for the cups.

Also a cup for people who do donate over $30-$40 maybe?

Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

Honestly i think we should copy what powerbot(lol) does with there script sections, merge some together.

Last edited by Olly; 06-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Best srl scripter - cup
    Most improved - cup
    Best additude - cup
    Most helpful - cup
    Best script (osr/Eoc) - person gets their thread stickied in its section
    We already have cups for scripter, and helpers. As-well as for newcomers that are promising (hence the "promising newcomer" cup). And the sticky thread idea, I am not too fond of - what if a script becomes outdated/not actively maintained throughout that six-twelve month gap?

If people want it though, I am sure we can give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollybest View Post
    Honestly i think we should copy what powerbot(lol) does with there script sections, merge some together.

I'll leave this up for other users (you guys) to decide I do quite like it, and it would 'declutter' our forum count.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I'll leave this up for other users (you guys) to decide I do quite like it, and it would 'declutter' our forum count.
    I agree with merging some script sections. Skills like WC and FM go hand in hand, as well as money making and collecting, so it'll definitely neaten the place up a little bit.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    money making and collecting
    I already made that change several hours ago

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

I already made that change several hours ago
    Ah my bad. You're just too quick!
    <3

I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Ohh geez.. Ok some things I want:

• Programming section needs separate subsections for each language. Its a complete mess.
    • One unified section specifically for Simba bugs and a separate sub-forum for Smart bugs. We can't just dump everything into one forum for Smart. It's currently the equivalent of the programming forum.
    • Spoiler tags.
    • Fix the hash tags. When I type #1 , I'm not trying to do the twitter tag, I'm trying to say Number 1. Not #Omggsgsngg .
    • The ability to delete a post after banning/infracting OR have it auto-hide all the user's posts upon "Spam-Bot" ban.
    • Archive section where all old threads that die get placed. Or where all FAQ/Answers go. After all, we have so many threads/tutorials on the same topics over and over and over..
    • Move the Scripts stuff to Runescape section. What exactly is SRL Public if it has "Runescape scripts" which belongs in the "Runescape" section? no?
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Oh, one thing just popped into my head. Maybe I'm just being thick, but where has the Advanced Search button gone? The one way I can get there is to click the search button (top left one) with no search criteria, as that tells me to add some more detail and gives me the advanced options.
    <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Oh, one thing just popped into my head. Maybe I'm just being thick, but where has the Advanced Search button gone? The one way I can get there is to click the search button (top left one) with no search criteria, as that tells me to add some more detail and gives me the advanced options.
    Different theme than me maybe, but

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Yeh, I'm running Metro, and I can't seem to find it anyway. Changed it to VB Default and it's there like yours. So it needs adding to the theme I'm guessing?
    <3

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Yeh, I'm running Metro, and I can't seem to find it anyway. Changed it to VB Default and it's there like yours. So it needs adding to the theme I'm guessing?
    With metro, click the magnifying glass symbol and it goes to Advanced Search

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    • have it auto-hide all the user's posts upon "Spam-Bot" ban.
    If this is an option, it would definitely clean things up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)

Seems a bit strange having one ranger guilding script in the minigame section while the other is in the combat/fighting section.
    Solar from RiD.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

• Programming section needs separate subsections for each language. Its a complete mess.
    I'm not sure what happened, but all the programming/language-specific stuff were supposed to be moved here. I think BraK just got lazy and forgot (as it is quite a PITA to use vB admin control panel).

• One unified section specifically for Simba bugs and a separate sub-forum for Smart bugs. We can't just dump everything into one forum for Smart. It's currently the equivalent of the programming forum.
    Wizzup? wanted to keep Simba bugs to Mantis Bug Tracker when we were doing the forum restructuring. However, that appears to have changed.

Would it be a good idea to use the vB Project and link to that instead?

• Spoiler tags.
    As has been said before, this requires a plugin/modification of vB source files, which none of the active admins are able to do (Only Wizzup? and Hobbit can).

However, I have raised the issue in the staff section, so it won't go by unnoticed

• Fix the hash tags. When I type #1 , I'm not trying to do the twitter tag, I'm trying to say Number 1. Not #Omggsgsngg .
    Haha. That would be a plugin bug and, again, would require Hobbit's attention when he gets back (August).

• The ability to delete a post after banning/infracting OR have it auto-hide all the user's posts upon "Spam-Bot" ban.
    I used to have this gripe too when I was SSRL and banning all the spam-bots, only to have their spam posts remain open for (sometimes) days on end. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this natively without giving SSRL permission to delete posts in all forums.

• Archive section where all old threads that die get placed. Or where all FAQ/Answers go. After all, we have so many threads/tutorials on the same topics over and over and over..
    Like a graveyard section? I'm not too sure how others feel about that (I think it has been suggested in the past).

I think the duplicate tutorials are a good idea, and provides variety for a user learning about the topic (we did have an SRL Wiki, with plans to have one tutorial for one topic, freely editable and expandable not just by the OP, but this quickly died when nobody wanted to maintain and submit to it It's just been a [recently discovered] haven for spam bots, so it has been locked).

And the duplicate questions are just byproducts of online forums, unfortunately, as users are just too lazy to search before posting

• Move the Scripts stuff to Runescape section. What exactly is SRL Public if it has "Runescape scripts" which belongs in the "Runescape" section? no?
    It has always been in SRL Public as it pertains to SRL. That's just how it has always been, since the early days of these forums. If other people want it moved there too, then yeah, I'll do it

If you are using the Metro theme, just click on the search button (magnifying glass) in the top left corner without typing anything in

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    Seems a bit strange having one ranger guilding script in the minigame section while the other is in the combat/fighting section.
    Well, the one I moved to the mini-games section said it was for a specific mini-game in the range guild. The other did not. Is this wrong?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information