Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should take the time to vote 'no' on the OSRS GE poll (280 total required)

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCabbage View Post
    Why? Gold being added into the game instead of value through items is terrible for the economy.
    lootshare wont destroy the economy... there is already coming 100's of millions coming in game by alching BECAUSE everybody just alch their loot since the time it cost to sell it, is simply not worth it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

How long is this poll open? Could make a script to train all your bots' skills so that it could vote in the poll.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    How long is this poll open? Could make a script to train all your bots' skills so that it could vote in the poll.
    You'd have to buy them membership too I think.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The GE is hardly the reason whip crashed though. When the ge came out whip stayed at a constant 1.3-1.5m.
    Which was exactly my point.. Before GE (before godwords), it was 3.5m - 3.7m. After GE came out it dropped to 1.5. After godswords came out, it dropped to ~300k. Godswords causing it to drop was natural though. GE however, was not.. GE causes crashes as I explained earlier.

Time = Money. Everyone in RS things a single way when it comes to selling and buying items. They want to buy cheap, sell expensive. They want to compensate for lost time during selling. If that selling time is over a certain threshold, they sometimes give up and sell for a little lower. But all in all, everyone puts a price on the item that is:

a. Calculated by length of time it took to get (rarity).
    b. Adding on a tax for the time it takes to sell.
    c. Adding on a tax for whether or not it's useful.

With GE, there's no time for selling or rarity. The market is flooded and things sell instantly. While it sells, I can go get another, and another, and another.. in the time that my one item sells. This introduces items into the game FASTER. The problem is that this applies to everyone.

When you buy an item IRL, the cost of production + shipment + advertising + manufacturing time comes into play. You want it instantly, you pay more (you're paying for time here).

However, in RS, everyone can get the item instantly with no extra cost. GE doesn't tax you. The item isn't manufactured. It isn't shipped. It's magically dropped out of thin air and instantly goes on the market for sale. Everyone can all multi-task while waiting on it to buy/sell.. Everyone sees a market price and tries to put their's a little lower so it sells faster. This also takes into account the abundance of the item.

Essentially, GE floods the economy with the items and drives the cost down. The harder someone is to get, the more it is usually worth.
    Last edited by Brandon; 01-13-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    *snip*
    mmh? i remember buying my first whip for 4m in G.E (around pvp era)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    mmh? i remember buying my first whip for 4m in G.E (around pvp era)
    Maybe it was the removal of free trade 1 month after the GE was released that caused it to crash.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    It actually did ruin it. When GE came out, items were no longer rare. They were sold in such large abundances that everyone had everything.. I could put a price, and simply wait until I get it. It took no time to sell. Time is money applies here.. While waiting on your item to sell on GE, you're gaining money doing something else (maybe even getting another of the same item to flood the market with)..

However, if you take the time to sell the item, you aren't gaining money while waiting on buyers.. This means that you have an adjusted price to compensate for the selling time of said item. This is to make up for the loss or extra time that you could have used to make more money.. It's how RS works.

Without GE, a whip used to be 3.5m long ago.
    GE came out, a whip became 1.5m and dropped below that.

Time is money. People taking "time" to sell things keep the cost up. GE is like the walmart of RS.
    This is the first real downside I've come across; however, I'm not so sure that the effect is that intense in practice.

A casual player like me won't mind a walmart for RS at all :P That being said, unless they offer an option to not have to start from scratch, I highly doubt having the GE or any other update other than shutting down rs3 would make me switch (especially with how much harder it is to train in osrs anyway, assuming xp rates are similar to like 09-11 era)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Why? Gold being added into the game instead of value through items is terrible for the economy.
    what? since when does lootshare generate gold

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

what? since when does lootshare generate gold
    He may be meaning coinshare which gives you the coins and puts the item on the GE.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    He may be meaning coinshare which gives you the coins and puts the item on the GE.
    Well I was talking about lootshare, which is needed IMO, but can't really be added without the GE. Unless you want

a) the loot to go to a random person in the cc. This is just ghetto and useless
    b) base LSP off the high alchemy/shop value of a item. But some items have low alch values compared to their street price and other items street price. For example a zerker ring alchs for 6k and a dragon ax alchs for 33k, a zerker ring is 3.6m and a dragon hatchet is 350k. The ring alchs for 1/5 the price but is worth 10x more

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Honestly couldn't care either way at this point. OSRS had passed the point of no-return long before today, and it really can't be damned more than it already is by the addition of a GE.

Trading post, NMZ, GWD, Slayer rework, Corporeal beast, innumerable pointless custom items - all should not have been added. OSRS is nothing more than a sanctioned private server. It's RS3 with older graphics & combat system.

I'd more or less welcome any update that comes to OSRS - a GE will only help botters, and the game is already ruined, why should I care?

Honestly, I don't even play OSRS, but every time I happen across a devblog or hear mention of a new update, I just shake my head in bewilderment and move on.

It's pointless to fight it. The fapping, drooling twelvies that make up the RS community will vote "Yes" on any polls they can lay their grubby hands on.

^Yeah, just forget it. The poll closes in six days, and that question has even less opposition than some of the others on the page...
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 01-14-2015 at 12:52 AM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Honestly couldn't care either way at this point. OSRS had passed the point of no-return long before today, and it really can't be damned more than it already is by the addition of a GE.

Trading post, NMZ, GWD, Slayer rework, Corporeal beast, innumerable pointless custom items - all should not have been added. OSRS is nothing more than a sanctioned private server. It's RS3 with older graphics & combat system.

I'd more or less welcome any update that comes to OSRS - a GE will only help botters, and the game is already ruined, why should I care?

Honestly, I don't even play OSRS, but every time I happen across a devblog or hear mention of a new update, I just shake my head in bewilderment and move on.

It's pointless to fight it. The fapping, drooling twelvies that make up the RS community will vote "Yes" on any polls they can lay their grubby hands on.
    You only have the community to blame for these updates. The most popular are polled and if the mass vote it in, it gets put in. Yeah not everyone agrees with this but the OSRS team does keep loyal to the community, so kudos to them. Regardless of what the updates are, Oldschool RS does need updates to attract new players, not just retain an existing player base. This is their goal after all and as far as I can tell this is the best way to do it: have new content suggested (to attract new players) and have existing players vote it in (keep current OSRS-players happy).

I don't agree with all of these updates either, but can you blame their logic? I'd do the same in their position...

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

At this rate it will just turn into RS3 but with crappy graphics

In all honesty, one of the reasons why I don't even want to open OSR is because it's too time consuming to gather resources. I think this may attract more players (but it will also make a bunch of people quit).

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

One argument I've been seeing a lot (not here, on less bot oriented sites) is that this will allow bots to be able to mass-sell supplies and that if the GE is introduced it will lead to piles of bots. The issue with this is that OSR is already overrun with bots so the trade doesn't appear to be deterring them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    You only have the community to blame for these updates. The most popular are polled and if the mass vote it in, it gets put in. Yeah not everyone agrees with this but the OSRS team does keep loyal to the community, so kudos to them. Regardless of what the updates are, Oldschool RS does need updates to attract new players, not just retain an existing player base. This is their goal after all and as far as I can tell this is the best way to do it: have new content suggested (to attract new players) and have existing players vote it in (keep current OSRS-players happy).

I don't agree with all of these updates either, but can you blame their logic? I'd do the same in their position...
    This. Though, I really would't let kids who have no clue vote. Or worse, kids who vote because their internet hero Sparc Mac said so despite him not giving a single reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Old School runescape would be runescape from 2002 at least for me...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

This. Though, I really would't let kids who have no clue vote. Or worse, kids who vote because their internet hero Sparc Mac said so despite him not giving a single reason.
    OSRS should have been done in a way such as RSC was - only people who actually played in 2007 should be able to have a say on how the game is updated.

Others can play, but as you said, people who haven't got a clue shouldn't be allowed to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtsoget View Post
    Old School runescape would be runescape from 2002 at least for me...
    That's called Runescape Classic. There are three servers still operational - if you were really around in 2002 then you can already play it.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

OSRS should have been done in a way such as RSC was - only people who actually played in 2007 should be able to have a say on how the game is updated.

Others can play, but as you said, people who haven't got a clue shouldn't be allowed to vote.

That's called Runescape Classic. There are three servers still operational - if you were really around in 2002 then you can already play it.
    Agreed.

For classic, they should really re-open it and give some oldfags the ability to ban botters. Given that it was coded with some people having only one mouse button in mind, they could really make *something* out of RSC if they made it playable on a tablet.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Looks like it just hit 75%. Gf 07. Guess I won't be renewing mems for my legit account on it, but now that gold farming will be stupid easy on there I might look into that

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

^Yeah, just forget it. The poll closes in six days, and that question has even less opposition than some of the others on the page...
    You realize OSRS needed GWD and slayer reworks? Yea there are some pretty stupid custom items but still some of these updates are needed.

OSRS has to be updated otherwise it will die

That is just setting up the game for failure. If only people from 2007 can play it, then the game will never reach that amount of players and inevitably most of them will end up quitting

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

That is just setting up the game for failure. If only people from 2007 can play it, then the game will never reach that amount of players and inevitably most of them will end up quitting
    "Others can play, but as [EvilCabbage] said, people who haven't got a clue shouldn't be allowed to vote."

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

"Others can play, but as [EvilCabbage] said, people who haven't got a clue shouldn't be allowed to vote."
    Why shouldn't they be able to vote in a game that they play lol

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Why shouldn't they be able to vote in a game that they play lol
    That's like saying a 5 year-old should be able to vote in his country just because he lives there.

These kids don't know how OSRS is supposed to be, they're not experienced enough to make an informed decision on what content should be placed into an 'old-school' game.

Some of them were probably quite literally pooping in diapers when this game was in its native timeframe.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

That's like saying a 5 year-old should be able to vote in his country just because he lives there.

These kids don't know how OSRS is supposed to be, they're not experienced enough to make an informed decision on what content should be placed into an 'old-school' game.

Some of them were probably quite literally pooping in diapers when this game was in its native timeframe.
    No, it's more like saying 'you weren't born in this country so you can't vote here'

5 year olds arn't engaged in issues with the country, unlike somebody that is playing a game.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

No, it's more like saying 'you weren't born in this country so you can't vote here'

5 year olds arn't engaged in issues with the country, unlike somebody that is playing a game.
    Eh, you're right. Comparing a game to a country was stupid, sorry

I just don't agree with the choices that are made :X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information