Thread: Implications of Invention / Elite Skills

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Exclamation Implications of Invention / Elite Skills

Here is a Reddit summary of the recent Invention BTS video: https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/c...ntion_special/

It appears Jagex will be introducing a number of elite skills, beginning with Invention, to revolutionize the endgame level while also making lower tier activities worthwhile.

What was particularly striking to me was the vast amount of item sinks that will be implemented. It seems that a number of goldfarming methods, old and new, will result from this.

Notable excerpts:

Plan is to make every level worthwhile without making previous levels obsolete

ie You made Maple longbows, when you unlock Yew longbows you won't make maples ever again
    What if you upgraded your previous item to better items (meaning you still need the lower level supplies)
    Passive unlocks in a way that agility works? - Possibly Make-X is faster
    Divine - Uses divine energy, basic tech
    Dwarven - Big, heavy, industrial, steam machinery etc
    Cave goblin - Electricity-based
    Everything invented has medieval comparison points
    Tech won't be too modern (eg Won't combine Dwarven unreliable trains with goblin tech to make electric powered train networks)
    Can do other tech trees in the future in Batches (Elf - crystal technology, tzhaar, gnome clockwork, dragonkin etc)
    Invention will be a huge item sink for

GWD items including shards
    Barrows
    All high level PvM equipment
    Disassembling higher equipment will give higher resources (eg Drygores broken down may give drygore parts which is necessary for a specific augmentation)
    Will also be item sink for regular items since they can be disassembled
    Remove unused equipment like maple longbows
    Will also be a money sink
    We're all used to maple logs being dirt cheap, and other low tier items being in laughably low gp ranges. It seems like these items might become far more profitable now as an actual use for them besides alching arises.

What do you think of this future update? Keeping in mind that everything is in pre-development concept, I think that this will have some seriously awesome effects on botting and goldfarming.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

I just hope they integrate it after everything is 100%. No half attempts or we'll do that later etc. They need to have constant testing during this process and definitely not rush it to the assembly line.

Item sinks + smart investing = $$$
    I better get to my making that merching script then
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

They say that it's all aimed at endgame players, but aren't most updates already for the higher leveled players?

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akantor View Post
    They say that it's all aimed at endgame players, but aren't most updates already for the higher leveled players?
    I would say yes because a majority of the player base at the moment has reached endgame tier or relatively near endgame tier. However, there have been a great many lower level updates lately (low level quests, new tutorials, etc.)
    Last edited by Clarity; 07-01-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    I would say yes because a majority of the player base at the moment has reached endgame tier. However, there have been a great many lower level updates lately (low level quests, new tutorials, etc.)
    What level range would you consider endgame tier?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    80-90+ I'd say.
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Yeah, endgame in my eyes is for people with an average of 90+ skills

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

200m all skills, trimmed completionist cape, insane final boss, bare minimum.

Just kidding.

I was excluding bots/non-players in that generalization, referring to the "real" active community player base that appears predominantly higher tier, 85/90+, I believe a graph was released at some point detailing player total levels and progression, and there were overwhelming spikes of low and high (this graph included bot/throwaway accounts). Sort of the opposite of a bell curve. I'll try to find it!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

max cape or go home!

Not quite, but probably access to overloads/yak/turmoil and 90+ in the ports skills at least would be what I would consider endgame tier (especially overload/yak).

I hope that they produce a proper sink like they promised for GWD armour and t90 weapons as those both have crashed rather heavily over the past half year to a year. By a proper sink, I mean something on the effectiveness level of the rune goldberg machine or higher since Mobilizing Armies (I think this was that last time they tried a sink ended up failing horridly in the longer term) I think it's a dangerous idea if t90+ weapons can be used in pvp though...the damage will rip apart rags much harder than t90s already do. I'm all for t90+ armour (with special effects) though, could use some of that so people (of not exorbitant means) have a reason to use somethign that isn't void/slayer helm+gwd armour some time.

Not looking forward to having to re-acquire my max cape though. That's bs (unless it still requires 99/120 like dung in which case, it'll probably not be too long).

Edit: @Clarity; is this the one you were looking for:http://cdn.runescape.com/assets/img/..._breakdown.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

My only gripe about this whole ordeal is that they said 120 in these elite skills will be required for comp. Just as I was gettin' close...

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

My only gripe about this whole ordeal is that they said 120 in these elite skills will be required for comp. Just as I was gettin' close...
    Gotta stop those max comp cape bankstanders somehow.
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Supposedly they're reworking the xp curve though so that level 120 invention will be comparable to the time taken for 99 in other skills.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Yeah! I guess it's not as telling as I remember. No staggering spikes in the higher end. Thanks for finding that
    I dunno, there's definitely a spike in the 2000~ level range. If you visually integrate out the years, I'd reckon there'd be many more people 2000+ than 1700- once you remove bots. 2000/2595*99 is approximately level 80 btw (a little less)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    M8, that's just all the farming bots with level 80 skill totals
    Except that's not actually the area of interest. We are more interested in runescape players and not the Mayor's legendary bot army .

Thread Information