Thread: [Guide] Strong Core [X]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Default [Guide] Strong Core [X]

Weak core = back pain, weak core = girl abs!
    • As males (Yes there might be one maybe two females on these forums but for the sake of simplicity I will assume we are all males)
    • Everyone has abs, the size/etc. depends on how hard you train
    • You TOO can have awesome abs!
      *]Doing ANY weighted ab exercise will cause your abs to come out (they will grow, if you don't know what I mean imagine yourself as a 13 year old... your abs are flat there may be lines on your stomach but in general your abs are not 3 dimensional. With weighted ab exercises expect your abs to come outwards thus why "increasing the weight" constantly may not be the best idea but sticking with a size you are comfortable with is.
    • When your abs do come out, even at higher body fat percentages definition in stomach area is not lost right away.
    • YOU MUST BE LEAN, it does not matter how much you work your abs if you are 50 pounds overweight. 8-12% are where abs are visible for most people.
    • Drink plenty of water while working on abs (not during but after) to prevent cramps

As requested there are a set of exercises that have NO crunching involved.
    Overhead Lift

You want to get into squat position with a weight you CAN keep above your head, you want to be in the 12-15 rep range to trigger growth.
    (Squat position is 90 degrees for the legs)

One Arm Lifts

These are actually pretty hard to do, would recommend starting with a dumbbell and taking it slow not using a super heavy weight and hurting your back.

Health Lift

You can either do deadlifts or this variation ^
    ====

With crunches ab workouts

BICYCLES

I love these, they really work the side obliques!

ISOLATION CRUNCHES

The only warning I have is you won't feel it right away, but when you start doing them you may be in the 50+ range (YOU WILL CRAMP, if you do too many in a short period of time)

LYING THROW-DOWNS

Direct Quote:
    While lying down grab your partner's legs as he stands with his feet on both sides of your head. While keeping your legs straight or slightly bent (but locked into place) bring your feet to your partner's chest as fast as you can.
    --
    sources:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin33.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nic1.htm
    --

Conclusion:
    I will write a routine guide sometime in the future, keep an eye out for that!
    Good luck, ALWAYS remember you must lose the fat before you can see the abs!
    Last edited by [XoL]; 03-30-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Thanks, definitely will try some of these! I'm pretty lean so that shouldn't be a problem

Also you have a typo in the last sentence, fast should be fat I think

Thank you again for the guide

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Thanks, definitely will try some of these! I'm pretty lean so that shouldn't be a problem

Also you have a typo in the last sentence, fast should be fat I think

Thank you again for the guide
    I was playing need for speed fast was on my brain haha, good call thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Pretty good short simple guide I'm currently working on my abs started around 1 month ago. The main thing to remember when/if you are going for a 6 pack or 8 pack if you're feeling brave is working out is only a 1/4 of the journey the other 3/4 is from diet you will hear it everywhere doing 1000 crunches a day isn't going to get you show your abs, tighter cores yes and if your still eating comfort/junk food high in fat you can forget about showing any of your abs off this summer.
    You don't need to do excessive amount of working out either 30mins/1hr a day is enough if your just going for a 6 pack and don't work them everyday as you wouldn't if you are going gym do a rock solid leg workout more then once a week would you. Same with your abs whenever you work a group of muscles they tear so need time to recover so having a day rest at least is advised.

Another thing to remember about getting some fine looking abs is like Xol mentioned if you have any fat on your abs they aren't going to show or show as well, so you need to burn it off and as men we typically burn fat off our stomach area last what this means if you are burning fat thinking your stomach isn't going any thinner it is because you have fat elsewhere to which is being burnt first.
    It is also a lot harder to burn that last couple of percentage of body fat off your stomach area, the key word here is time you need to keep at it.
    I know it is easily going to take me another 11 months of working to get some solid abs, you just got to keep pushing and making sure you train even once a week and eat properly.

If you mainly want to focus on training your abs there is some great vids on youtube.
    Here's one for beginners I personally used this for around 2 weeks just to get used to training my abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XWhwwJ7dw
    Then if you want to mix it up a little bit here's what else you can use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8-SMdjHc8

I Hope from what little experience I gained will help you guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Its been ages since I was on these forums
    Glad this is what I saw first!

I missed you random :')
    Right now Im way too into the bicycle and isolation crunches. They help a lot if you do them at regular intervals.

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezozo View Post
    Its been ages since I was on these forums
    Glad this is what I saw first!

I missed you random :')
    Right now Im way too into the bicycle and isolation crunches. They help a lot if you do them at regular intervals.
    Aw missed you too bud!
    Posting more and more so you will have pleasant surprises on your return!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I need to check up on that old blog you had!

Checking this like every day now

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I wish i had abs.... instead of a six pack, I have a family pack

Thread Information