Thread: Difficulty of BEng

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Default Difficulty of BEng

As some of you may know, this year I applied for uni to do comp sci (BSc). Well, recently I actually got an offer from Exeter, but at the last minute, I changed my course to Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (BEng). The thing is, the course looks pretty awesome (albeit a large amount of contact time), but I've heard from a lot of people that BEngs are actually really hard and that you really have to be pretty dedicated to do well.

So what are the people of SRL's opinion on this? Should I stick to the engineering degree, or go with my original intention of a computer science degree?

Life decisions stress me out...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)

nothing is easy on this world.
    just choose whichever you really like. passion is more important.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dzpliu View Post
    nothing is easy on this world.
    just choose whichever you really like. passion is more important.
    Well that's another one of my issues, I absolutely love the idea of both electronic engineering and comp sci, I guess it's wise to continue with the course that offers both!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well that's another one of my issues, I absolutely love the idea of both electronic engineering and comp sci, I guess it's wise to continue with the course that offers both!
    more way out also :P

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

I think having that B.eng is very advantageous, you can stamp things in the future (if even just for yourself, ditches, small bridges [on your property], family things, building stuff [if you are up to it]) as well as being more hands on in the design aspect (the part I like)...not so much a research or educational institute type degree (not that comp sci really is). Anyways those are just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)

Either degree choice is a good one.
    If you want it enough, you'll work hard enough to earn the results you want.
    If you've got a career in mind for either, or both, then go with whatever you WANT to do. Don't be put off by hard work as a student, it will still be easier then when you get a graduate job, even though there might be some late nighters in the library when you might think otherwise.
    Solar from RiD.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Wow I almost made the same decision, I started wanting to do electrical with comp sci, then just electrical but now I am doing just comp sci all the way.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [XoL] View Post
    Wow I almost made the same decision, I started wanting to do electrical with comp sci, then just electrical but now I am doing just comp sci all the way.
    I think I'm heading the other direction it seems, wanting to do comp sci, then electrical with comp sci, and now I can see myself more in an electrical engineering career

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

I think I'm heading the other direction it seems, wanting to do comp sci, then electrical with comp sci, and now I can see myself more in an electrical engineering career
    Just ask where you see yourself in the future, which would be most useful/enjoyable? I'm having the same time deciding my major/minor. I'm thinking Biomedical/Business as I want to be an orthopedic surgeon and own my own practice, but a degree in digital design/graphic media for my minor is tempting as well! Keep us updated on which you choose! Btw asked a college buddy and he said BEng is hard as heck >.<

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)

Edit: misread your post and yes you do need to be really dedicated for engineering.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Go to BEng. Although it seems harder you have a whole forum/community here to support you :P

Thread Information