Thread: First Year of College Guide

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Default First Year of College Guide

I will edit this over a course of time, I have a lot of information just going to take my time with it though!
    This will be a guide on surviving your first year of college! (I just completed mine)

First Year of School!
    School aspects -Your biggest concern
    • Studying

Hey welcome to college bud, this is WHERE IT MATTERS... Study Study STUDY
    The goal is to make a plan and stick with it, what that means is create a battle strategy to finish all of your work and learn the assigned material without second guessing if you actually know what you are doing.
    My current plan is (Monday - Thursday,Sunday. I study those days for at least 4 hours) Some days I study for multiple subjects some days only one.
    Get help if you need it, there are tutors/online forums/teachers (just ask any of the SRL members, I am sure they all hate me by now ..<3 you guys )

• Study strategies

Find out what kind of student you are (Solo, Group, Large periods of time, short periods of time etc. etc
    As stated above make some sort of plan, and put it on Google Calendars so your smart phone can tell you when you should be doing stuff... Being on a schedule for most people is the best way to stay organized and get your stuff done!

My personal studying strategy is this:
    Study alone, in a quite, cool place with a comfortable chair for aprox 3-6 hours. (If I have under 3 hours to study, most times I don't get anything done because I am just counting down till my next activity so I make sure there are LARGE blocks of time during my day)
    You may be different though, for example my friend studies for 1-4 hours in a moderately active place such as a coffee shop, book store, social area of the library etc. etc.

• Cheating

Don't do it

Now that I said it, there are times where there really seems like there is no other option.
    In situations like this first think of all the ways they can catch you.

If you live in America, do NOT cheat on papers/writing assignments as almost anything you turn in online CAN easily be traced for plagiarism through websites like turnitin.com, (which Googles the paper, compares with ALL of the papers in its systems, etc. etc.)

Now things like math, if you are taking a higher level course where sophisticated calculators are allowed I would suggest investing in a TI-Nspire Cas CX. This calculator can have word for word notes (You just type them in on a computer and transfer them to the calculator, or picture diagrams etc. (Just transfer it into the calculator again). Along with being able to solve time consuming integrals etc. with the Computer Algebra System pre-installed in the calculator.

Writing on your hand...
    • 1) Not on your hand
    • 2) Your arm is a much better place as it simply looks like you are leaning on your desk, instead of awkwardly looking at your hand.. If you do this WEAR A SWEATSHIRT -.-... Then just pull your sleeve up
    • 3) Leave some space from your wrist, just in-case the shirt bunches when you walk etc.. don't want to be turning that test in then having your teacher ask what that black ink on your wrist is.
    • 4) Write on your non-dominant arm, this way you don't have to move it much.
    • 5) Bring hand sanitizer (The last thing you want is to get caught, so destroying all evidence is a good idea!)

• Passing

DO WHAT IT TAKES
    • 1) Go to office hours, yeah as annoying as it seems... Professors are FORCED to do these, so they don't care if you show up they won't feel like you are taking their time away from them. Take advantage of them, even if your teacher is of no use to you they can at least see you are putting some sort of effort in.
    • 2) Study (Read above, studying tips)
    • 3) Do the assignments ("Homework is only worth 5%") That 5% could be the difference between an A and a B, do it!
    • 4) Take good notes, 1) You can sell these for a bit of a side profit to slacker students 2) They will really help you study...
    • 5) Record lectures (I personally have never done this, but it helps those who take a while to understand things)
    • 6) If you feel like you may fail GO TALK TO THE PROFESSORS! They want you to succeed, it looks good for them... Do it!
    • 7) Don't understand something but already past the subject/taken the test already? Ok...LEARN IT ANYWAY, chances are your class will have a final and guess what that will be covered.

• Dropping

Keeping this one short as schools have different policies.
    If you feel like you will fail a class, drop it. don't just fail the class.
    Having a dropped class is bad but it is NO WHERE as bad as having a failed class.

Classes

Enjoyable aspects
    • Clubs
    • Sports
    • Parties

Girls
    • One night
    • The girl
    • How to communicate
    • Hey its college
    Last edited by [XoL]; 05-15-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Just grabbing this spot, just in case.. shouldn't need it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

I feel as if this can all be summed up in a few simple words...

FB;GM.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this. Ill be finishing my 3rd year in a few hours, but its always fun to read another person's perspective/experience.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    I feel as if this can all be summed up in a few simple words...

FB;GM.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this. Ill be finishing my 3rd year in a few hours, but its always fun to read another person's perspective/experience.

Lol yes basically but will make a guide anyway
    Ah congrats man!

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Typical Turp

Nice guide. Over the years the one thing that really stands out to me is how people don't ask for help when they need it.

Thread Information