Thread: How to check for a password stealing script

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Default How to check for a password stealing script

How to check for a password stealing script

This guide is going to be short and simple

See: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103408 for script scanner.

Step 1) Enable security.sex, this will warn you if the script is trying to access anything online related. You can do this buy opening up simba, going to view, extensions, and enabled security.sex :

Step 2) Look for any unusual things inside of the script. Is it obfuscated? Obfuscated code with the built-in extension looks like:

Simba Code:
    {$I SRL/SRl.SimBa} pRoCeDUrE SEnd; begin TyPeSEnd(#104#101#108#108#111); caSe RAnDom(((1+7)-(6/3)-(4/3)+-2)) of ((2+5)-(2/5)+(-4*-5)+-26): Wait(raNdomraNge(((9+-4)+(7*4)-(5/1)+-28), ((915+3463)+(2358*338)-(304-520)+-798098))); ((2+9)+(4*7)-(2/4)+-37): waiT(RaNdomRangE(((5+2)+(1*4)+(2+8)+-21), ((1846+1794)+(1754*454)-(55/777)+-797956))); eNd; End; begin ACtivateClIENt; wAit(((168+191)+(476*60)+(121*12)+-29871)); repeaT sEnd; uNTIl false; end.
    If it is, not only is this not allowed, but this means that the script writer probably has something to hide.

Step 3) Use "ctrl + f" and look for "Name" and "pass". These 2 variables SHOULD NOT be outside of the declare players procedure, unless they are used it forms like so:

Simba Code:
    Name := Username.TEXT
      Pass := Password.TEXT

Step 4) Also, an add-on of step 3, "User" and "Pass" SHOULD NEVER be declared ANY MORE THEN 1 TIME.

Step 5) Make sure the script is not accessing any website that you don't need it to (should only be accessing Github and Google code if it is auto-updating).Watch out for "PostHTTPPage" or "Addpostvariable" functions, these are used to post information to websites!(If the scripter has a dynamic signature showing the script stats then you can relax, but you should still check just to be sure!)

Step 6) Get some expereince with Simba. Chances are, if you are not very fluent with the Simba functions, then this guide won't help much because you don't know what your looking for! If this is the case for you, then I advise that you become fairly familiar withPascal script and Simba functions.

If you follow these 6 steps, then in the extremely rare event of a malicious Simba script being uploaded (yes this sometimes happens but they are usually taken down fairly quick) you will be prepared!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You should include that super long list of other techniques I mentioned in skype
    We can't give people any ideas

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    Good point actually...

At least add mention of a ctrl+f on "PostHTTPPage", though.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Good point actually...

At least add mention of a ctrl+f on "PostHTTPPage", though.
    That would be posting your "user" though wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Why not? We're also telling how to prevent against it, so we're good.

Plus, it's already in the PUBLIC skype chat, anybody could read it, but not everybody is in the skype chat, so the people who get the ideas are going to use them to kill all of the villavians! It'll be a Villacaust!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Scratch View Post
    Why not? We're also telling how to prevent against it, so we're good.

Plus, it's already in the PUBLIC skype chat, anybody could read it, but not everybody is in the skype chat, so the people who get the ideas are going to use them to kill all of the villavians! It'll be a Villacaust!
    Except it would likely be caught pretty fast

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Except it would likely be caught pretty fast
    True. BUT, we could increase the chances of it being caught by making people aware.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

That would be posting your "user" though wouldn't it?
    Not necessarily, it could be posting any of the possibiliies I mentioned.

New plan, if there is legitimate fear of the word "socket" or "PostHTTPPage", mention me in whatever is related and I'll look it over.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

CTRL + F "send" would be a good one too. This eliminates any chance of your details being exported from the script.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Thanks alot. I was looking for this for a long time. Also if the "reset password" opens in your browser. Is it also an attempt or just a missclick? I've had it like 8 times already

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

This is a good heads up thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Thank you for this great guide. I've been lucky in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Much appreciated, security is a great concern of mine, but due to own incompetence, I have limited myself only to look for executable file extensions and weird URL-s in scripts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Out of curiosity, have there been password stealing scripts posted on the forums?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by destinyxx View Post
    Out of curiosity, have there been password stealing scripts posted on the forums?
    Yes
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Yes
    Omg that is really scary... But, what if some scripter who uses auto updating of the scripts decides to put in some lines of code to extract info, for a day, and then revert it back?

Hardly anyone would notice it..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

It's definitely an interesting thought exercise *ahem* to think of ways you could steal passwords through the distribution of a Simba script.

Quote Originally Posted by destinyxx View Post
    Omg that is really scary... But, what if some scripter who uses auto updating of the scripts decides to put in some lines of code to extract info, for a day, and then revert it back?
    If I recall, auto-updating scripts were not permitted for a while. I'm not sure when that particular rule was allowed and what prompted its removal.

Executing the code you have not read the source to, do not fully understand, etc. always carries risk. What's to say Simba itself doesn't snoop around on your computer? I don't want to scaremonger but it is absolutely a possibility that specific users could even be targetted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Did not really think about people stealing username, password from script. Glad i found this thread and will now look on all the scripts i use to make sure its safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Thanks for the heads up man.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Is this still needed with the player manager?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovebotter View Post
    Yes as not all the scripts have the player manager coded unless you wish to include that yourself.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sekirei View Post
    Yes as not all the scripts have the player manager coded unless you wish to include that yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebotter View Post
    It's also still possible to get the user/pass out of the player file if you did a little more work than normal. Player manager isn't a security function, it has two main features that I like to think of it as.

1) It's a convenient thing - never have to put your user/pass into a script anymore. Just press play and go for it.
    2) It's safer for scripters - nobody accidentally forgets to remove their user/pass before posting the script.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    It's also still possible to get the user/pass out of the player file if you did a little more work than normal. Player manager isn't a security function, it has two main features that I like to think of it as.

1) It's a convenient thing - never have to put your user/pass into a script anymore. Just press play and go for it.
    2) It's safer for scripters - nobody accidentally forgets to remove their user/pass before posting the script.
    this

I wouldn't say there have been a lot of password stealing scripts TBH but when OSRS came out there were a couple posted and removed fairly quickly (I can only remember 1 TBH but there could have been others)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information