Thread: What reasons are "Jagex" allowed to sue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Default What reasons are "Jagex" allowed to sue

I was curious about the reasons "Jagex" is allowed to sue companies for publishing software they don't like?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

They (and technically you) are allowed to sue anyone for any reason they feel like. However, they only sue in cases they feel they are likely to win - or at least make a difference in their target.

For example, someone using some version of one of their products (IE: A RS private server) and in some manner gains any amount of money from it (donations, fees, etc) is a likely target; as is anyone who breaks the law in some manner involving one of their products (IE: an EOC injection bot).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

OSBOT and TRIBOT of perfect examples of what Jagex will go after. They are making thousands of dollars of "selling" their product. Their Selling the exploits for Jagex's brainchild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

IF they sue and win they get all the information from the website including emails. They will cross reference any data they have with their player database. Additionally they will usually ask fro grievances, or monetary compensation.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

If you mess with their EOC client and distribute it then your pretty much a target.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchees View Post
    OSBOT and TRIBOT of perfect examples of what Jagex will go after. They are making thousands of dollars of "selling" their product. Their Selling the exploits for Jagex's brainchild.
    Just what he said if you mess around with the client then you are open to a hefty sueing

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happy hippo View Post
    Just what he said if you mess around with the client then you are open to a hefty sueing
    Only the EoC client.
    Not the 07 one yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchees View Post
    Why not PB? They are literally making thousands.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Why not PB? They are literally making thousands.
    Because the above isn't true. They cannot just "SUE" you for messing with the EOC client. They can only sue you if you actually de-obfuscate it and mess with it using the information you find. However, if you leave it obbed and use patterns for finding things and messing with it that way, there isn't too much they can go after you for. I'm sure they can still sue you but there isn't much grounds.

Also, since Tribot does not "MESS" with the EOC client directly, there isn't any way to really target them. The reason is because it isn't messing with the client but rather messing with your own graphics card and through a plugin too; they can't really say, "You're not allowed to intercept or touch data going to your own graphics card"..

Then again, it is jagex and it is reverse engineering and since there's a lot of quirky areas/rules around such a topic, almost anything really is possible.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-31-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Because the above isn't true. They cannot just "SUE" you for messing with the EOC client. They can only sue you if you actually de-obfuscate it and mess with it using the information you find. However, if you leave it obbed and use patterns for finding things and messing with it that way, there isn't too much they can go after you for. I'm sure they can still sue you but there isn't much grounds.

Also, since Tribot does not "MESS" with the EOC client directly, there isn't any way to really target them. The reason is because it isn't messing with the client but rather messing with your own graphics card and through a plugin too; they can't really say, "You're not allowed to intercept or touch data going to your own graphics card"..

Then again, it is jagex and it is reverse engineering and since there's a lot of quirky areas/rules around such a topic, almost anything really is possible.
    Creating anything and making profit from it at the expense of another companys work... could result in a law suit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
    Creating anything and making profit from it at the expense of another companys work... could result in a law suit?
    Thats a nice generalisation of it, yes, but in the eyes of the law, the exact punishable/harmful messing could be sth else what the bot makers do

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

in my opnion, jagex does not care. They just want to seem like they care. Otherwise everything would be sued.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggar View Post
    in my opnion, jagex does not care. They just want to seem like they care. Otherwise everything would be sued.
    Why would they sue people they can't win against? That's just a huge money sink and will only hurt them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Why would they sue people they can't win against? That's just a huge money sink and will only hurt them.
    You do have a point there, They cant exactly go after all the little fishes as they have bigger fish to fry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I'm not talking down to PB, but they are one of the central hubs of goldfarming, botting and rwting. Is that not enough for Jagex to try and get them? Sorry but my knowledge of law is pretty poor.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I'm not talking down to PB, but they are one of the central hubs of goldfarming, botting and rwting. Is that not enough for Jagex to try and get them? Sorry but my knowledge of law is pretty poor.
    Yeah I understand what you are all saying but the thing is, RWT doesn't really hold up in a court so much. Well some judges are stupid and would hold up such a thing but RS-gold has no real world value. It's not a real currency (only virtual). Goldsellers and buyers are the ones that determine the value. There is no fixed value from country to country.

Botting a game isn't an offence either.. Else Steam would be suing botters as well.

The only things left that they can really get you on is messing with their client I guess. Not too sure as I've never been sued. Someone mentioned tribot and I mentioned why it may or may not be easy.

But there is a topic around here that already mentions this stuff. I can't remember where but I THINK "Core" was the one who looked up all the legal stuff.
    Law isn't exactly my field of study either.

Found it:
    http://villavu.com/forum/showthread....88#post1199388
    http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102496
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-31-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

IANAL, but from what I understand, the issues of digital rights legislation are incredibly messy, because the idea of digital property that doesn't really "exist" is around, the laws in place are actually really not up to scratch, and so it's very possible to find ways around the system.

But yes, I think the main issue with Jagex taking down large websites like PB is the monetary side of things. I really don't think they're in the position to take down big websites like PB, and they probably need the revenue from bots anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    IANAL, but from what I understand, the issues of digital rights legislation are incredibly messy, because the idea of digital property that doesn't really "exist" is around, the laws in place are actually really not up to scratch, and so it's very possible to find ways around the system.

But yes, I think the main issue with Jagex taking down large websites like PB is the monetary side of things. I really don't think they're in the position to take down big websites like PB, and they probably need the revenue from bots anyway.
    Basically, but it depends on specific cases. I mean, you never know the verdict.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden702 View Post
    Basically, but it depends on specific cases. I mean, you never know the verdict.
    Yea but its hard to win against a muilti million dollar company, it's best to settle it out of court (when you either shut down your site or agree to pay a much smaller fee and they sign some sort of document saying they won't sue you)

Thread Information