Poll: How long can you hold your breath using this method?

Thread: How-to Hold Your Breath For 3-5x Longer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Default How-to Hold Your Breath For 3-5x Longer

There haven't been many fun/interesting how-to guides lately (apart from scripting ones), so I decided that I would post this one I found .

So I was recently browsing the web and I came across this interesting guide. It was on how to hold you're breath like David Blaine (a world record holder). I've always been interested on how long people can hold their breath for and how normal people can increase their time as well. So I read the article, but was a little skeptical. So I tried it myself. Here's the method, however the whole article gives more information. I recommend doing it laying down, in case you're a person who passes out easy:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...d-your-breath/

Definitions:

Deep breathing: “Deep breathing” involves taking a big breath in through the mouth, holding for one second, and then exhaling for 10 seconds through your mouth through your almost-closed mouth with tongue pressed against your lower teeth. It should be a hissing exhalation and make a “tsssssss…” sound. All breathing and exercises are performed though the mouth.

Purging: “Purging” involves a strong exhalation as if you were trying to blow a toy sailboat across a pool, followed by a big but faster inhalation. David’s cheeks were puffed out as he demonstrated the exhalation (imagine the big bad wolf blowing the pigs’ homes down). Be careful not to heave or rock back and forth, which wastes oxygen. Keep as still as possible.

Semi-purging: Breathing between the above two. More forceful than deep breathing but less forceful than full purging. Used for recovering after each time trial.

The Steps:

1:30 deep breathing
    1:15 purging (if you feel like you’re going to pass out, do it less intensely)

Hold breath for target 1:30, no more
    After 1:30:
    Take 3 semi-purge breaths

1:30 deep breathing
    1:30 purging

Hold breath for target 2:30, no more
    After 2:30
    Take 3 semi-purge breaths

2:00 deep breathing
    1:45 purging

Hold breath for as long as possible
    After exhalation:
    Take 3-10 hard semi-purge breaths until your recover
    Here's some observations/tips as well:

David’s record using the above method: 7:47. His heart rate dropped below 20 beats per minute

He had us move our right index finger slightly every 30 seconds or so while holding our breath to indicate we were alright. More motion would waste O2.

He also suggested, and this was incredibly useful, going from A to Z in your head during time trials, visualizing a friend for each letter whose name starts with that letter. Use celebrities or historical figures when needed. This serves to distract you from the fact that you’re holding your breath.

If you continually check your time, it seems you hold your breath for less time. It is the opposite of the above. Too much focus on the time creates tension. All of the test subjects, myself included, had a harder time holding their breath when David announced the time every 5 seconds vs. 30 seconds. If I do this a second time, I will have someone else watch the time for me.

Do not let any air out whatsoever after taking your big inhalations for the time trials. This is important protective training for water-based breath holding. Why? If you pass out in the water (not good), you want the uncontrolled release of bubbles to indicate to those supervising that you’ve passed out.

It is easier to hold your breath if you haven’t eaten for 4-6 hours. It is also easier to hold your breath if you have less body mass to support. David will purposefully lose 30+ pounds during serious training to improve his lung-to-body volume ratio.
    Can you beat Houdini's lifelong record of 3 minutes 30 seconds?

I can usually hold my breath for around 2 minutes tops. After doing this, I held it for 4 minutes . Only a 2x improvement for me, but for others it could be more (usually if they can only hold their breath for a minute or so).
    My First Build!, Selling Downloadable Games
    -------------------------------------

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

I'm not gonna lie I expected the entire thread to be:
    How to hold your breath 3-5 times longer!
    CHEAT!
    Thankfully, it was much more pleasant than that and an interesting read

Thread Information