Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mcdonalds protesters pushing for $15 an hour.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Default Mcdonalds protesters pushing for $15 an hour.

Administrator's Warning:

For those wanting to engage in this discussion, remember:

• NO swearing,
    • NO attacking other users, attack their argument instead.

Repeat violations will lead to the topic being locked.
    Re-read up on the SRL rules here.
    Original post: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread....94#post1264494

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...-higher-wages/

In cities across American Mcdonalds workers are protesting for $15 an hour, in some states that is double of their current pay.

I don't think they put much thought into this protest, at-least in terms of making any progress.

EDIT: This thread is supposed to be more or less on the topic of raising minimum wage to $15 an hour, not raising it in general.
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added administrators warning.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

>Detroit.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)

Stupid.
    Working fast food is unskilled labor which anyone can do without any education.
    They should be getting the minimum wage.

If they want higher wages and protest/strike, then the thousands of other unskilled laborers will gladly just take their place.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    Stupid.

If they want higher wages and protest/strike, then the thousands of other unskilled laborers will gladly just take their place.
    That pretty much sums it up; cased closed.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Stupid.

Essentialy.. it might come to this ^.

I've done part time work and when I was 16 I was earning 3€/h and at 17 I earned something like 3,50€/h. Apparantly the minimum wages have gone up, you can see them here: http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwer...n-per-uur.html

But I was doing brainless jobs, I hated it. But my parents wanted me out of the house during summer and I could use the money.

But if some McDonalds employees are going to earn the double.. I would say 7,50$/h is a bit on the lower side for a fully grown person, even for a job like that. But there are plenty of people willing to take in their place.
    Last edited by J J; 08-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Stupid.

> Coming from someone who worked at KFC and Maccy D.

It's a horrible job where you are treated like dog poo. The hours are overdone and the workload are stupid.
    I for one say, give them a pay rise. At least they're working. Trying to get out there.

Might I also add Yohojo, Working in the fast food industry does not require no education. You of all people should know this. Especially as you constantly ask for help on this matter.
    Working at fast food requires on-the-job skills and education like the basic, reading, writing, mathematics etc.

I once met a man in KFC who came in and the conversation went like so:

Man: "Which one of your buckets is cheapest but best for value for a family of 4? 2 little ones, aged 6 and 7 and 2 adults"
    Me: "To be honest, it depends on the amount you wish to eat and how much your budget is".
    Man: "In that case I'l go for the 14 piece bargain bucket with 2 hotwings"
    Me: "I can make that cheaper for you, just by adding the extra hotwing package"
    Man: "Thanks, I thought most people who worked in fast food were incompetent with logic"
    Me: "Well, Not all of us are made for fast food. Especially during this terrible time with the economy, I go to school 9-5 and work 6-10."
    Man: "I work at a school, teaching history, maybe one day you'l be as good as me"
    Me: "I am as a good as you, if not better."

^^ He left.

What I'm trying to say is, you can put these people down, you can push them away. But not all of them have the stereotypes you justified above. - Officer Barbrady.

What sickens me is the elitist view a lot of you have. You're mostly all from fairly well off families or have been spoon fed to help you into your education.

I've gone from Crap Grades in school and a terrible job at KFC to Working in IT and earning more than all the people in my school year who did good at their academic studies. At the end of the day these people do have jobs. They don't need ignorant idiots like yourselves putting them down because you go to them for your quick meal and to look down on them.

Grow up. I would expect better from an SRL member, let alone a moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    IMO my message to these people is stop having kids and buying stuff you can't afford.
    Mum/mom can't buy us everything. You haven't even got an idea of what work is.
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Removed foul language.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

In the basic scheme of economics raising "all mcdonalds" workers to $15 an hour is just not feasible, and in an economic downfall people will be lining up to take their jobs.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

The problem with the minimum wage in the US (Not sure about the rest of the world) is that it has not risen to keep in line with the cost of living. The rich have gotten richer while minimum wage has hardly gone up to keep up with the cost of living. I recently watched a documentary on the subject where it discusses this, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of it haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distrib..._United_States

E: I understand we aren't all in the US, but I am sure similar problems can be seen throughout Europe and the like.

E2: The name of the movie was "Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream" and is available on Netflix.
    Last edited by Hazzah; 08-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

Yeah, min wage in US is pretty bad tbh. Could due with a raise. And its not like people would hoard money, they would spend it. In long run it would be beneficial

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Stupid.

mcdonalds is hard, very demanding work.. I wouldn't work there for $15 an hour, that's for sure.
    no I'm not being sarcastic, it's far harder than most of the stuff I've done for 3 times the price.
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Removed foul language.
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

I just think its ironic how some of the people on here think that mcdonalds or min wage jobs are for like "lower level" People.

You shouldn't judge a person based on where they work. Maybe its a part time job? Or they ran into health issues (like i did) and needed to pick up a second job to help pay for medicine?

Luckly ive never had to pick up harder working jobs for low pay. But for others atleast they're working instead of collecting welfare or something.

And most those jobs suck too...and hard/bad hours. I doubt any of them WANT to be there. But they do it

Also due to the fact alot of us are Pin/GP/Virtual good sellers....its kind of funny we judge them in a way that you call it "unskilled labor"

Dont really need much of an education to set up bots and farm or sell pins :P

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Itankbots View Post
    I just think its ironic how some of the people on here think that mcdonalds or min wage jobs are for like "lower level" People.

You shouldn't judge a person based on where they work. Maybe its a part time job? Or they ran into health issues (like i did) and needed to pick up a second job to help pay for medicine?

Luckly ive never had to pick up harder working jobs for low pay. But for others atleast they're working instead of collecting welfare or something.

And most those jobs suck too...and hard/bad hours. I doubt any of them WANT to be there. But they do it

Also due to the fact alot of us are Pin/GP/Virtual good sellers....its kind of funny we judge them in a way that you call it "unskilled labor"

For once I agree with one of your posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

If you don’t like your job or your pay, shut up and leave. Entrepreneurship is a damn beautiful thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    > Coming from someone who worked at KFC and Maccy D.

It's a horrible job where you are treated like dog poo. The hours are overdone and the workload are stupid.
    I for one say, give them a pay rise. At least they're working. Trying to get out there.

Might I also add Yohojo, Working in the fast food industry does not require no education. You of all people should know this. Especially as you constantly ask for help on this matter.
    Working at fast food requires on-the-job skills and education like the basic, reading, writing, mathematics etc.

I once met a man in KFC who came in and the conversation went like so:

Man: "Which one of your buckets is cheapest but best for value for a family of 4? 2 little ones, aged 6 and 7 and 2 adults"
    Me: "To be honest, it depends on the amount you wish to eat and how much your budget is".
    Man: "In that case I'l go for the 14 piece bargain bucket with 2 hotwings"
    Me: "I can make that cheaper for you, just by adding the extra hotwing package"
    Man: "Thanks, I thought most people who worked in fast food were incompetent with logic"
    Me: "Well, Not all of us are made for fast food. Especially during this terrible time with the economy, I go to school 9-5 and work 6-10."
    Man: "I work at a school, teaching history, maybe one day you'l be as good as me"
    Me: "I am as a good as you, if not better."

^^ He left.

What I'm trying to say is, you can put these people down, you can push them away. But not all of them have the stereotypes you justified above. - Officer Barbrady.

What sickens me is the elitist view a lot of you have. You're mostly all from fairly well off families or have been spoon fed to help you into your education.

I've gone from Crap Grades in school and a terrible job at KFC to Working in IT and earning more than all the people in my school year who did good at their academic studies. At the end of the day these people do have jobs. They don't need ignorant idiots like yourselves putting them down because you go to them for your quick meal and to look down on them.

Grow up. I would expect better from an SRL member, let alone a moderator

Mum/mom can't buy us everything. You haven't even got an idea of what work is.
    What about the other people earning $15 an hour now? Don't they want a raise now? Simple economics, minimum wage goes to $15 an hour, the cost of products go up (no I'm not saying they would double, but doubling minimum wage would increase food prices by a lot)

So if they raise minimum wage to $15 an hour does that really help everybody? It's just going to cost the price of food products to go up even for the people working minimum wage therefor their back in square 1. And the truth to the fact is, if they want $15 an hour there is CERTAINLY someone who will do it for half the price..

So sure, raise minimum wage, but you won't be helping them any, and then more jobs will be exporting to other countries. Let's face it, for instance why would a company want to hire 500 factory workers and pay them $15 an hour (and soon have to provide health care or opt out and pay a fine) when it's hell of a lot cheaper for a country with a lower minimum wage to do it?
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Removed quoted foul language.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

What about the other people earning $15 an hour now? Don't they want a raise now? Simple economics, minimum wage goes to $15 an hour, the cost of products go up (no I'm not saying they would double, but doubling minimum wage would increase food prices by a lot)

So if they raise minimum wage to $15 an hour does that really help everybody? It's just going to cost the price of food products to go up even for the people working minimum wage therefor their back in square 1. And the truth to the fact is, if they want $15 an hour there is CERTAINLY someone who will do it for half the price..

So sure, raise minimum wage, but you won't be helping them any, and then more jobs will be exporting to other countries. Let's face it, for instance why would a company want to hire 500 factory workers and pay them $15 an hour (and soon have to provide health care or opt out and pay a fine) when it's hell of a lot cheaper for a country with a lower minimum wage to do it?
    Ever hear of the saying: Everyone wants someone experienced, but no one wants to give experience.. This is currently what's happening.. If everyone at McDonalds were to quit, who'd train the new guys?

Well here's some "McFood" for thought and why this will never be the case.

1. I started out working in a grocery for 8.00 an hour and trust me, it was not the best thing being a teenage butcher and all the "other" tasks that come along with it for 8.00 an hour! Also note that what some managers used to do was send me on break or clock me out at the hr.45 mark so they won't have to pay the full hour or overtime if need be.. After I clocked out, I'd still have to clean up w/e mess I made so that is pretty bad.. I'd also have to bring extra shoes and clothes after hosing down the blades and floor with chemicals and stuff.. I had to learn WHIMIS and all that other stuff such as every kind of meat there is! Identifying the liver, gizzard, heart, kidneys, arteries, everything! Not to mention understanding exactly what part each customer wants.. Anyway, after I left the job, guess what? All the other students who worked there realized it ain't worth 8.00 an hour and they all quit. 3 weeks later, manager calls me offering 10.00$ an hour because no one would apply for the meat section. Everyone wanted bakery or deli section positions. Even at 10.00 when minimum was 8.00, no one including myself would take the job.. Guess what my friend now gets paid in the meat section? 25$ an hour. That's right.. 25$!! Plus benefits if you stay longer than 6 months. Even got promoted and everything and begged him to stay lol. He's still there but it's a hell of a lot more than 8.00 considering all the crap we had to do. I'm glad he's making a decent wage now though. You have to know what it is like to have customers bitch and spit and throw down stuff on purpose to piss you off.

And this franchise grocery is known as No-Frills here in Canada.. I'm sure everyone who's been to a mcdonalds has seen a nasty customer they wanted to punch in the face for being rude to a cashier or purposely throwing a drink on the floor to annoy them.

Anyway, roughly 1 year later after I left, minimum wage is 10.50$ an hour and food prices have only gone up a little bit more than they were. So even with the increase in food prices, the wage increase is more than the food increase and so, it is easier for whoever works for these wages to live. Increasing minimum wage does increase food prices and job outsourcing but that's due to greed. Lets say that minimum increases 50%, that doesn't mean food prices are going to increase 50% too. It'll prob increase 15-30%. Still leaving the workers with a little extra to spend. That spending will help the economy in the end. There is no need for Yohojo or anyone else to say they don't deserve it because they do. Most of them are STUDENTS and it may be their first job. Good luck outsourcing McDonalds cashiers and burger flippers and w/e else to another country..

2. Just because someone worked in minimum wage doesn't give ANYONE else the right to belittle them. Everyone needs a first job at some point. However, I have a friend who is really good at programming.. Guess what? Every programming job wants a degree. After getting a degree/recommendation they tell him "You are over qualified for this job, we are looking for someone that will learn something at our company." And so, he removes lots off his resume and gets hired for way less than the degree is worth. Mind you having to pay off student loans with a job that doesn't pay because you have a degree is garbage. Oh and trust me, this has happened to me so many times now that I completely wiped off half the languages I know off my resume or replaced them with other stuff.

The reason a company says this is because with a degree, they have to pay you MORE money than without and so, they rather take interns for free or pay little or anyone without a degree and offer them a temporary or 6-month position/contract.

So basically, a degree/recommendation is sorta useless and just there to show that you know something but doesn't give you any guarantees or a higher chance than the next guy. In fact, most of the time it gives you less of a chance because no one wants to pay more. Thing is, without a degree or recommendation, you have no chance of even having your resume looked at either.

So either way it is a lose-lose situation most of the time and they'd rather computerise everything for free labour.

3. Half the guys at McDonalds have been doing cash for so long, they can count and do math far better than a lot of "high" paid idiots in the industries nowadays. I experienced this first hand with a businessman ordering meat and arguing I taxed him more.. In the end, I had to write this fool a balance sheet on his receipt and show him how to add 15% (GST & HST) tax.

Point is, just because someone has a degree or is a customer with an attitude at McDonalds or wherever it is, doesn't give them the right to talk down to students still in school or whoever and can't work full time.

No I don't work minimum wage but I used to so I know how it is for them.

For once in my entire life, I have to agree with @xtrapsp;
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Removed foul language.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Ever hear of the saying: Everyone wants someone experienced, but no one wants to give experience.. This is currently what's happening.. If everyone at McDonalds were to quit, who'd train the new guys?

Well here's some "McFood" for thought and why this will never be the case.

1. I started out working in a grocery for 8.00 an hour and trust me, it was not the best thing being a teenage butcher and all the "other" tasks that come along with it for 8.00 an hour! Also note that what some managers used to do was send me on break or clock me out at the hr.45 mark so they won't have to pay the full hour or overtime if need be.. After I clocked out, I'd still have to clean up w/e mess I made so that is pretty bad.. I'd also have to bring extra shoes and clothes after hosing down the blades and floor with chemicals and stuff.. I had to learn WHIMIS and all that other stuff such as every kind of meat there is! Identifying the liver, gizzard, heart, kidneys, arteries, everything! Not to mention understanding exactly what part each customer wants.. Anyway, after I left the job, guess what? All the other students who worked there realized it ain't worth 8.00 an hour and they all quit. 3 weeks later, manager calls me offering 10.00$ an hour because no one would apply for the meat section. Everyone wanted bakery or deli section positions. Even at 10.00 when minimum was 8.00, no one including myself would take the job.. Guess what my friend now gets paid in the meat section? 25$ an hour. That's right.. 25$!! Plus benefits if you stay longer than 6 months. Even got promoted and everything and begged him to stay lol. He's still there but it's a hell of a lot more than 8.00 considering all the crap we had to do. I'm glad he's making a decent wage now though. You have to know what it is like to have customers bitch and spit and throw down stuff on purpose to piss you off.

And this franchise grocery is known as No-Frills here in Canada.. I'm sure everyone who's been to a mcdonalds has seen a nasty customer they wanted to punch in the face for being rude to a cashier or purposely throwing a drink on the floor to annoy them.

Anyway, roughly 1 year later after I left, minimum wage is 10.50$ an hour and food prices have only gone up a little bit more than they were. So even with the increase in food prices, the wage increase is more than the food increase and so, it is easier for whoever works for these wages to live. Increasing minimum wage does increase food prices and job outsourcing but that's due to greed. Lets say that minimum increases 50%, that doesn't mean food prices are going to increase 50% too. It'll prob increase 15-30%. Still leaving the workers with a little extra to spend. That spending will help the economy in the end. There is no need for Yohojo or anyone else to say they don't deserve it because they do. Most of them are STUDENTS and it may be their first job. Good luck outsourcing McDonalds cashiers and burger flippers and w/e else to another country..

2. Just because someone worked in minimum wage doesn't give ANYONE else the right to belittle them. Everyone needs a first job at some point. However, I have a friend who is really good at programming.. Guess what? Every programming job wants a degree. After getting a degree/recommendation they tell him "You are over qualified for this job, we are looking for someone that will learn something at our company." And so, he removes lots off his resume and gets hired for way less than the degree is worth. Mind you having to pay off student loans with a job that doesn't pay because you have a degree is garbage. Oh and trust me, this has happened to me so many times now that I completely wiped off half the languages I know off my resume or replaced them with other stuff.

The reason a company says this is because with a degree, they have to pay you MORE money than without and so, they rather take interns for free or pay little or anyone without a degree and offer them a temporary or 6-month position/contract.

So basically, a degree/recommendation is sorta useless and just there to show that you know something but doesn't give you any guarantees or a higher chance than the next guy. In fact, most of the time it gives you less of a chance because no one wants to pay more. Thing is, without a degree or recommendation, you have no chance of even having your resume looked at either.

So either way it is a lose-lose situation most of the time and they'd rather computerise everything for free labour.

3. Half the guys at McDonalds have been doing cash for so long, they can count and do math far better than a lot of "high" paid idiots in the industries nowadays. I experienced this first hand with a businessman ordering meat and arguing I taxed him more.. In the end, I had to write this fool a balance sheet on his receipt and show him how to add 15% (GST & HST) tax.

Point is, just because someone has a degree or is a customer with an attitude at McDonalds or wherever it is, doesn't give them the right to talk down to students still in school or whoever and can't work full time.

No I don't work minimum wage but I used to so I know how it is for them.

For once in my entire life, I have to agree with @xtrapsp;

Thank you Brandon for being one of the smart people.

You really have no idea. You've never been in work. You have no idea what hardwork is. Let alone about what people in this situation think of the economy.
    I never said to up their pay to $15. I said to up their pay. It's a disgusting amount of money for the work done at the moment. Don't bother writing a thread and arguing in it if you don't know anything.

tl;dr :

The only people being dicks to the fast food workers are those who haven't experienced the real world yet.
    Last edited by Daniel; 09-06-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Removed quoted foul language.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Its mac donalds, every one can do that..

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    Its mac donalds, every one can do that..
    If you're not being sarcastic, then you can read on..

All I have to say to you is that if you are an American, you might wanna watch yourself because one more war and you will be competing with the Seniors in your job and guess who has priority position? They do. They will have 40 years experience over you and you will end up in McDonalds or some low end paying job and you might be one of the protesters of the future.

I don't work for near minimum at all. I consider myself lucky, but I'd bet my pay-cheque that you can't even boil rice and that goldfarming is how you survive. You know, it doesn't take much to setup a bot and farm virtual gold and sell overpriced pins on a website because mom and dad won't give you allowance.. However, when you get your first job other than playing rs, let me know.

It's runescape.. Everyone can do that..
    Do you see how ignorant I just sounded in the above rant? That's how your statement sounded when I read it. There are some on this site who aren't as fortunate as us. Step in their shoes for a day.

Do you ever watch dirty jobs?
    Last edited by Brandon; 08-31-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If you're not being sarcastic, then you can read on..

All I have to say to you is that if you are an American, you might wanna watch yourself because one more war and you will be competing with the Seniors in your job and guess who has priority position? They do. They will have 40 years experience over you and you will end up in McDonalds or some low end paying job and you might be one of the protesters of the future.

I don't work for near minimum at all. I consider myself lucky, but I'd bet my pay-cheque that you can't even boil rice and that goldfarming is how you survive. You know, it doesn't take much to setup a bot and farm virtual gold and sell overpriced pins on a website because mom and dad won't give you allowance.. However, when you get your first job other than playing rs, let me know.

Do you see how ignorant I just sounded in the above rant? That's how your statement sounded when I read it. There are some on this site who aren't as fortunate as us. Step in their shoes for a day.

Do you ever watch dirty jobs?
    I applaud for this man, so much respect

Creds to DannyRS for this wonderful sig!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I work two jobs, one for minimum wage, and one for $15 an hour, neither of them is skill labor... So I don't see what the complaint is that's being made by those saying unskilled labor doesn't deserve more.

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

IMO my message to these people is stop having kids and buying stuff you can't afford.
    Since my prev post got removed: Keep your messages for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Itankbots View Post

Also here: #Peter4AdminScrewYohojo

Creds to DannyRS for this wonderful sig!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

daaaaaymmmn. @Brandon; on a roll <3

Work is work. i personally think it all comes down to how much you think your time is worth, and how much your employer thinks your time is worth.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Oi I can't agree with what a lot of you guys are saying. These people who work at an entry-level job are demanding a higher paygrade, one that is comparable to career that requires years spent in college. So then what's that say to the wiser people, those who went into college right after and spent years on the degrees to be able to have a stable, higher paying job, when they could have just taken the easy road and started flipping burgers for the same pay? So is this a reward the uneducated and devalue those who are? Clearly, only in the US...

I don't think any of these kids know what it means to truly have a busy/stressful day at work. Your main argument here pertains to the verbal treatment of these employees; is this a joke? Wanting a raise because your feelings get hurt at a job that you signed up for and many people would fight for. Have any of them spent 20 hours in a day disassembling an airplane, in the open on black asphalt at over 100 degrees? Have they ever removed 3 full-sized PT-6 jet engines from a 727 cargo plane in January, outside with ice rain? Have you ever been sent to South Africa to piece together DC-3s night & day for 2 weeks? Well I have, and I did it all for slightly more than half of what these people are demanding in their raise.

If you'd like I can compare their jobs to any given, normal or premium job in my country right now. A friend of mine works at a bank and she travels 65km to her office twice per day every day, and while they only work the standard 8-5 routine she also works on Saturday. She gets paid the equivalent of $250 per month; it's considered a high-paying job. Of that, can you imagine how much is left after paying for 2 buses back and fourth (4 total per day), 3 meals per day, and her house/water/electricity/phone? Also employees don't get paid here per week or 2 weeks, only per month, and every single business holds the same rule of your first month of work you will not be paid, simply because there are too many people who need a job they must filter out those who are skillful; like a required trial period.

And the people who take orders or flip burgers are demanding a raise? To me this is a joke, they have NO IDEA what it's really like.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Oi I can't agree with what a lot of you guys are saying. These people who work at an entry-level job are demanding a higher paygrade, one that is comparable to career that requires years spent in college. So then what's that say to the wiser people, those who went into college right after and spent years on the degrees to be able to have a stable, higher paying job, when they could have just taken the easy road and started flipping burgers for the same pay? So is this a reward the uneducated and devalue those who are? Clearly, only in the US...

I don't think any of these kids know what it means to truly have a busy/stressful day at work. Your main argument here pertains to the verbal treatment of these employees; is this a joke? Wanting a raise because your feelings get hurt at a job that you signed up for and many people would fight for. Have any of them spent 20 hours in a day disassembling an airplane, in the open on black asphalt at over 100 degrees? Have they ever removed 3 full-sized PT-6 jet engines from a 727 cargo plane in January, outside with ice rain? Have you ever been sent to South Africa to piece together DC-3s night & day for 2 weeks? Well I have, and I did it all for slightly more than half of what these people are demanding in their raise.

If you'd like I can compare their jobs to any given, normal or premium job in my country right now. A friend of mine works at a bank and she travels 65km to her office twice per day every day, and while they only work the standard 8-5 routine she also works on Saturday. She gets paid the equivalent of $250 per month; it's considered a high-paying job. Of that, can you imagine how much is left after paying for 2 buses back and fourth (4 total per day), 3 meals per day, and her house/water/electricity/phone? Also employees don't get paid here per week or 2 weeks, only per month, and every single business holds the same rule of your first month of work you will not be paid, simply because there are too many people who need a job they must filter out those who are skillful; like a required trial period.

And the people who take orders or flip burgers are demanding a raise? To me this is a joke, they have NO IDEA what it's really like.
    Although there are many good points to what you said, I don't think it's useful to compare wages in your country with wages in the US/UK. Would I be correct in saying that the cost of living in your country is also much lower than in the US/UK?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information