Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Science Universities?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Default Computer Science Universities?

Hey, the time where I need to apply for universities is coming soon. Any canadians know any good universities for computer science?
    I plan to apply to

Waterloo
    UofT SG
    Carleton
    Western

In that order.

Anything else?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Computer Science is pretty good (and hard) at most universities. I've only heard of Waterloo and it's on top of your list so go for it :P

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Computer Science is pretty good (and hard) at most universities. I've only heard of Waterloo and it's on top of your list so go for it :P
    I highly doubt i'll get in :/
    I'm only at an 87% average and the cutoff is 90+

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    I highly doubt i'll get in :/
    I'm only at an 87% average and the cutoff is 90+
    - Recommendation letters
    - Relevant/notable Activities outside the class room

Grades are just a part of getting in, they aren't the only thing that matters.
    You don't need to make the cutoff grade to get it, atleast I didn't and yet I got into one of the top schools in the US

Not sure if its that different for canada

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Bro...I don't know how keen you are at living far away from home but you should consider SFU. It's where I'm heading (hopefully) in May. They are a little smaller school but I went on a tour and they have such a sick setup with labs n crap (I was on a tour for mechatronic engineering but computer science shares some labs). Plus, they don't have quite as high of average requirements. (For me, I think it's like 80ish for my engineering)(vs like 90ish other places)
    EDIT: oh also, they have an entire room in the library with like 15 computers/tvs and a HUGE library of every videogame and PC game from the past 10 years

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    Bro...I don't know how keen you are at living far away from home but you should consider SFU. It's where I'm heading (hopefully) in May. They are a little smaller school but I went on a tour and they have such a sick setup with labs n crap (I was on a tour for mechatronic engineering but computer science shares some labs). Plus, they don't have quite as high of average requirements. (For me, I think it's like 80ish for my engineering)(vs like 90ish other places)
    EDIT: oh also, they have an entire room in the library with like 15 computers/tvs and a HUGE library of every videogame and PC game from the past 10 years
    I'd actually prefer being away from home, you can only live in one place for so long without getting bored
    Is SFU in Canada or the States?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

There's one in Bergen, Norway that you could apply to You'd meet some pretty rad students *cough*me*cough*
    And you'd also be able to meet Emaziz, but he isn't nearly as rad as I am (ofc, duh)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    There's one in Bergen, Norway that you could apply to You'd meet some pretty rad students *cough*me*cough*
    And you'd also be able to meet Emaziz, but he isn't nearly as rad as I am (ofc, duh)
    Studying abroad would be awesome, but i'd have to go through the process of learning a new language

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    This made me smile.

Studying abroad would be awesome, but i'd have to go through the process of learning a new language
    It would depend on where you study, most international schools around the world teach in English, even here in my local city in Indonesia.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    This made me smile.

It would depend on where you study, most international schools around the world teach in English, even here in my local city in Indonesia.
    Agreed, however interacting with the locals...

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

English is pretty universal, if you stick around the campus area you'll probably be just fine. But of course it can only benefit you to pick up on some of the more commonly used & basic words in the native language. This will really give you an advantage over any other foreign students also in your same position.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

@Zyt3x will teach you

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

I'd actually prefer being away from home, you can only live in one place for so long without getting bored
    Is SFU in Canada or the States?
    Canada brew!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Your 16 right?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Four View Post
    - Recommendation letters
    - Relevant/notable Activities outside the class room

Grades are just a part of getting in, they aren't the only thing that matters.
    You don't need to make the cutoff grade to get it, atleast I didn't and yet I got into one of the top schools in the US

Not sure if its that different for canada
    Yeah When I applied for a job I mentioned that I made scripts for RuneScape and Android apps.. It might be a bit awkward mentioning RuneScape but they actually liked it and one guy even played the game a few years ago. Can't go wrong with mentioning it unless you meet a hardcore legit player

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    Canada brew!
    Hmm, will definetly consider it, but i cant see if SFU has co-op!

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    Your 16 right?
    Yeah

Yeah When I applied for a job I mentioned that I made scripts for RuneScape and Android apps.. It might be a bit awkward mentioning RuneScape but they actually liked it and one guy even played the game a few years ago. Can't go wrong with mentioning it unless you meet a hardcore legit player
    Did you get the job?!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Did you get the job?!
    Well they wanted me to know more about web based programming languages. They were impressed with my knowledge so far etc. so I got access to online learning courses. Coincidently I did a few courses and I had the same subjects in the first semester of this year.. right now it's on hold because I'm developing an app for the city where I study in. I joined a competition and was one of the winners. Really interesting stuff and an even better pay.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Well if you need one more you could go for Queens as well. I would say Waterloo is your best bet though if you can get that average up. They do not accept if you don't meet the minimum requirements though, as I didn't meet the chemical engineering requirement by 1% (got 84 in advanced functions and they wanted an 85 despite my average being higher then what they wanted), so unfortunately you have to meet the 90 req as well as all course reqs.
    Western is the same way and I find they think they are better then everyone else which I don't like. Queens is reasonable about that stuff (as I applied there and got in even with the 1% off the adv. fun. req). I am at UOIT and I am sure our computer sci. class is decent enough, the school just isn't old enough to be compared to the likes of Waterloo. I am in nuclear engineering though so I am not sure how computer science is here and I don't know anyone I could ask to find out more.

Your top 2 I would say are your best bet though if you want to stay local. I don't know much about schools abroad so I can't be of much help there.
    FEEL FREE TO PM ME ABOUT ANYTHING! Will help over Teamviewer...just ask!! "WITH A NEW QUESTION COMES A NEW CHALLENGE"
    Silentcore's AIO Service team !!! Pm me if you want questing done or service done or post on thread ofc

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Hmm, will definetly consider it, but i cant see if SFU has co-op!
    Yes they have co-op:
    http://www.cs.sfu.ca/undergraduate.html (click on co-op)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

University of Alberta has a decent computer science program, and I'm pretty sure admission average for it usually only about 83-84%. (Plus I'm the bees knees and I'm here)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

Looks like you might be moving close to me. I'm about a 40 min drive from Waterloo, and like and hour and a half from Toronto. @Nava2; went to Western, and he's now an intern at IBM. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more about it. Likewise, @'Toxin; went to (or still attends) U of T. I've only really been to the Western campus, and it's really, really nice. If I didn't get a scholarship to the States I would have seriously considered it.

I've also been to the University of Guelph as that's where my girlfriend goes. Also a really nice campus, but I'm not sure how good their Comp. Sci. program is, or if they have one. I'm pretty sure they have Software Engineering, but not sure about strictly Computer Science.

UBC (University of British Columbia) is a really good school as well, and you can't ask to live in a more beautiful part of the world. If location is a factor at all in your choice, I highly recommend UBC. I spent two years in BC and the scenery is nothing like you'll find anywhere else in Canada. Plus, it's a great school.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coh3n View Post
    Looks like you might be moving close to me. I'm about a 40 min drive from Waterloo, and like and hour and a half from Toronto. @Nava2; went to Western, and he's now an intern at IBM. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more about it. Likewise, @'Toxin; went to (or still attends) U of T. I've only really been to the Western campus, and it's really, really nice. If I didn't get a scholarship to the States I would have seriously considered it.

I've also been to the University of Guelph as that's where my girlfriend goes. Also a really nice campus, but I'm not sure how good their Comp. Sci. program is, or if they have one. I'm pretty sure they have Software Engineering, but not sure about strictly Computer Science.

UBC (University of British Columbia) is a really good school as well, and you can't ask to live in a more beautiful part of the world. If location is a factor at all in your choice, I highly recommend UBC. I spent two years in BC and the scenery is nothing like you'll find anywhere else in Canada. Plus, it's a great school.
    Western has an amazing campus for sure, it seriously looks like a castle. UGuelph does have Computer Science and Software Engineering, however I've heard that the SE program isn't that good, since it moves really slowly and the languages are a bit outdated. I've considered UBC, but I haven't been able to look at the requirements to go there since their website is quite confusing.

@cause SFU looks pretty amazing. What did you say their cutoff was?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Western has an amazing campus for sure, it seriously looks like a castle. UGuelph does have Computer Science and Software Engineering, however I've heard that the SE program isn't that good, since it moves really slowly and the languages are a bit outdated. I've considered UBC, but I haven't been able to look at the requirements to go there since their website is quite confusing.

@cause SFU looks pretty amazing. What did you say their cutoff was?
    http://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar/...g-science.html

http://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar/...pt-sc-maj.html

Computing science course entry requires a grade of C- or better in each prerequisite course.
    A minimum 2.40 CGPA is required for 200, 300 and 400 division CMPT courses. For complete information, contact an Applied Sciences Advisor.

2.40 CGPA is like 60%? Not sure how that works. Looks like you would get in with your grades. You could study abroad and save a lot of money though. @Zyt3x; isn't it free to study at a university in Norway? It's 1700/year here. That's a hell of a lot less than Canada or the US :P But we pay it back with 59% tax..

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

I can't imagine it would teach outdated languages, but I suppose it's possible. Seems kind of pointless if you ask me.

Computing science course entry requires a grade of C- or better in each prerequisite course.
    A minimum 2.40 CGPA is required for 200, 300 and 400 division CMPT courses. For complete information, contact an Applied Sciences Advisor.

2.40 CGPA is like 60%? Not sure how that works. Looks like you would get in with your grades. You could study abroad and save a lot of money though. @Zyt3x; isn't it free to study at a university in Norway? It's 1700/year here. That's a hell of a lot less than Canada or the US :P But we pay it back with 59% tax..
    I would be amazed if studying abroad is cheaper. In the US and Canada, out of state/province tuition is insane compared to local. I would be shocked if it isn't similar is other countries as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

I'm not sure that applies to me, since I don't live in B.C! I live in Ontario, apparently SFU only looks at your Top 4, whereas Ontario universities look for your Top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Coh3n View Post
    I can't imagine it would teach outdated languages, but I suppose it's possible. Seems kind of pointless if you ask me.

I would be amazed if studying abroad is cheaper. In the US and Canada, out of state/province tuition is insane compared to local. I would be shocked if it isn't similar is other countries as well.
    Agreed.

Edit: @cause; I didn't take any sciences in Grade 12 so I can't apply for SFU .-.
    Last edited by Sin; 11-13-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information