Thread: My game projects..

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Default My game projects..

Just some pretty basic crap in XNA/Direct-X.. Had to do them for school.. Just thought you guys might like to see the code (C#). I'll probably github it later so you don't have to download anything to view it. They are highly customisable and easy to edit and make your own or add on to it. Anyway, here goes..

Tower defense. Idea is from Flash Element TD. An ancient game I used to play.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/al...ignment-2D.zip

The models for this one is animated and made in blender.. But the animation doesn't display in XNA properly

Controls for this one is:
    Q to switch weapons
    WASD for walking around
    Mouse for aiming and shooting
    Esc to quit
    R to reload and restart

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r4...ignment-3D.zip

Model designs:

Animation fail:

I don't know what happened to my pistol.blend file so I can't get a screenshot of it. The shotgun model was taken from some random online forum.

To animate the models, I just took some poses from google and then animated it in blender to suit. For sample poses I used the following from google, deviant art and some more random forums while googling for "game orthagonal poses"..

You can see how bad XNA's animation is here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-models-in-xna
    No one seems to be able to help me fix it lol.

Again, these pose images are NOT mine. I just found them online.

Not sure why the screenshots look so bad :S Hope you guys enjoy anyway..
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-12-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Very nice! What does the second game do?
    That first one looks like it probably was a lot of code.

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [XoL] View Post
    Very nice! What does the second game do?
    That first one looks like it probably was a lot of code.
    Lol the first one actually was a lot of code for a 2D assignment. The second one was just an assignment in 3D to demonstrate to the teacher that I can do animation, collision detection, skyboxes and gravity and physics. Stuff like that. The second game really has no objective like the first one. Yeah you can kill the soldier but that's about it. Was still hard though. Figuring out how to draw a cube to represent buildings and then texture it took me sssoooooo long!

But it was interesting.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-12-2013 at 04:43 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but its always nice to read off something that has already been completed to figure your own code out. (I understand that it isn't needed now, considering you already finished lol) but still I thought this site was cool. http://www.riemers.net/

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but its always nice to read off something that has already been completed to figure your own code out. (I understand that it isn't needed now, considering you already finished lol) but still I thought this site was cool. http://www.riemers.net/
    I read every single one of those. The collision from the FlightSimulator didn't work for me. I used regular matrices and the author used Quarternions with third person view, my game was first person :l

Was way too hard to understand. As for the building, I did it similar to that author as well. Only difference is that I constructed mine dynamically whereas the author hardcoded it and used a shader.

Other than that, his tutorial is pretty nice. I got 2 building textures from there and the rest from XNA-Resources. Animation is the hardest thing in XNA. Way too hard.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Brandon I hope Google finds you and forces you to work for them, cause damn just too crazy.

Edit: Wait to prevent slavery, and pays you crap tons of money.
    Last edited by [XoL]; 12-12-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Oooooh, I did a few XNA projects in school too. But NEVER did I make a model that looked even half legit. Definitely props to you for doing art AND programming well.

Have you considered looking into some of the XNA engines like BEPU? They handle a ton of stuff for you. Although, sadly XNA is no longer going to be developed further in favor of Microsoft's new 'Project Spark,' which to me just seems like RPG Maker on Steroids.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Oooooh, I did a few XNA projects in school too. But NEVER did I make a model that looked even half legit. Definitely props to you for doing art AND programming well.

Have you considered looking into some of the XNA engines like BEPU? They handle a ton of stuff for you. Although, sadly XNA is no longer going to be developed further in favor of Microsoft's new 'Project Spark,' which to me just seems like RPG Maker on Steroids.
    Oh dang didn't know they gave up on XNA, thought it had a large following...sad it was a great way for people to get into programming.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Oh dang didn't know they gave up on XNA, thought it had a large following...sad it was a great way for people to get into programming.
    It did have a fairly decent following. It was my favorite framework. The only thing was, it was competing with full engines like Unity or UnrealEngine whereas the best stuff for an engine for XNA, was stuff that people did in their free time (not to say they were bad by any means, but a free-time free project does not compete very well with multi-million dollar projects.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Any experiences with libgdx, Brandon?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

@Ashaman.. No. I don't want to go into game development industry. More like I was forced to code games though (for projects).
    And yea, Microsoft dropped XNA in favour of something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Gala View Post
    Any experiences with libgdx, Brandon?
    Never heard of that. A quick google search says its for mobile devices? Are you experienced with it? I am pretty experienced with Android and IOS though. Never tried making a game on them. I've made a game for Windows phone 8 though.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    @Ashaman.. No. I don't want to go into game development industry. More like I was forced to code games though (for projects).
    And yea, Microsoft dropped XNA in favour of something new.

Never heard of that. A quick google search says its for mobile devices? Are you experienced with it? I am pretty experienced with Android and IOS though. Never tried making a game on them. I've made a game for Windows phone 8 though.
    Your games look cool, I especially like the rigged SWAT.
    I just wanted to know if you have any experience in Java gamedev like libGDX/jMonkey and if so, I might ask some asset/memory managment related stuff. (It seems like you don't really need/use engines and you take care of the low level stuff on your own)
    If you like to drop games on android and windows or want to start, I can really suggest using libGDX.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Your games look cool, I especially like the rigged SWAT.
    I just wanted to know if you have any experience in Java gamedev like libGDX/jMonkey and if so, I might ask some asset/memory managment related stuff. (It seems like you don't really need/use engines and you take care of the low level stuff on your own)
    If you like to drop games on android and windows or want to start, I can really suggest using libGDX.
    Ahh I see. I have experience with Java game development but without engines. Pretty sure I used blender v2.69 but what happened was that when I exported it, XNA won't load it and so I had to use AutoDesk's fbx converter with ASCII to BINARY and Embed resources enabled. Not sure if it changed the version or not. Then again, I have many versions of blender installed so I can't be sure which I used. Also, for some models I used VS2012 model editor. I discovered it by accidentally double clicking a .fbx model and it opened with VS2012. Can edit and save models in VS now (Visual Studio 2012).

I tried to use an auto rigger but it failed. I tried to use engines but I just don't know how. Not sure if there are XNA engines out there or not but yeah, I do like to code everything myself. Makes me feel in control. Lol. I get pretty butthurt using other's code or anything at all. Dunno why.

I'll check out libGDX and see how it works.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

It seemed to me like the version was 2.49, which was a pain in the a**.

Same here, you can throw a "game" together in GameMaker/Unity in few hours but it is just not the same when you solved collision detection/solving after days of strugging Also the possibilities are endless if you build it from scratch.

Since there is no support for XNA, what will come next? I don't know XNA, was a little turned off when I saw you can only develop for Microsoft devices...

Good luck with it! There is a little to no ressource out there. But if you know the basics in Java, you should be fine with the API and some stackoverflow discussions. (also there is a subreddit, but people are not very active, I still hava an open question for 2 weeks now concerning multi threading)

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

It seemed to me like the version was 2.49, which was a pain in the a**.

Same here, you can throw a "game" together in GameMaker/Unity in few hours but it is just not the same when you solved collision detection/solving after days of strugging Also the possibilities are endless if you build it from scratch.

Since there is no support for XNA, what will come next? I don't know XNA, was a little turned off when I saw you can only develop for Microsoft devices...

Good luck with it! There is a little to no ressource out there. But if you know the basics in Java, you should be fine with the API and some stackoverflow discussions. (also there is a subreddit, but people are not very active, I still hava an open question for 2 weeks now concerning multi threading)
    Well, there still will be engines based off of XNA, and XNA is still the only capable way for an indie developer to develop for the 360. However, XNA will not be updated further, nor receive bug fixes.

The 'next big thing' from Microsoft will be Project Spark. However Project Spark is little more than a more in-depth version of RPG Maker. There is no real engine building or enhancements to it.

Playstation is improving their indie development with their new PS4 with an as of yet unnamed framework for indie developers.

Unity is likely to one day allow development and help in the distribution to both the new gen systems - putting them at top of the usefulness list of current indie developers.

I've looked into a few other engines and the like as well, but at the moment, I'm kinda sad with the situation for indie developers that don't want to build a full engine from scratch (as that can take 50% if not more of the development time).

Thread Information