Thread: Compass angle mod

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Default Compass angle mod

Hiya. After looking over the coordinates we use to determine the compass angle I found the central X value is off by a single pixel which is causes our slightly inaccurate result of finding the angle, so I've fixed it up and the result is much more (as can be) precise.

Simba Code:
    function getCompassAngle(): Extended;
    var
      Angles: Array [0..2] of Extended;
      Vectors: Array [0..2] of TVector;
      I: Integer;
      SouthPoint: TPoint;
      TPA: TPointArray;
    begin
      Result := -1;
      FindColors(TPA, 920735, 545, 4, 576, 36); //Searches for red of South, East, and West points on compass.
      RAaSTPA(TPA, 7); // the point are small clusters of pixels, so by doing this, we are left with four points: the three cardinal points, and the center of the red arrow on the compass.
      SortTPAFrom(TPA, Point(561, 20)); //Sort from center of the compass, so the first point in the array is the point that is the center of the red arrow.
      InvertTPA(TPA); //Invert the array so that the arrow's center point is now at the end of the array and out of the way.
      if (Length(TPA) <> 4) then //If we don't have four points, something has gone wrong.
        Exit;
      for I := 0 to 2 do //Creates normalized vectors from center of compass to three cardinal points.
        Vectors[i] := CreateVector(Point(561, 20), TPA[i], True); //Creates normalized vectors from center of compass out to the cardinal points.
      Angles[0] := AngleBetween(Vectors[0], Vectors[1]); //Stores the angle between vectors 0 and 1 in Angles[0].
      Angles[1] := AngleBetween(Vectors[0], Vectors[2]); //Stores the angle between vectors 0 and 2 in Angles[1].
      Angles[2] := AngleBetween(Vectors[1], Vectors[2]); //Stores the angle between vectors 1 and 2 in Angles[2].
      for I := 0 to 2 do //This loop determines which point is the southern point of the compass.
      begin
        if (Angles[i] > pi) then //If the angle is greater than pi radians (180 degrees),
          Angles[i] := MATH_2PI - Angles[i]; //We subtract it from 2pi radians (360 degrees) to get something like a reference angle.
        if (Angles[i] >= 2) then //If the angle is greater than 2 radians, then we know that the two vectors this angle is between
        begin //are the East and West point vectors.
          case I of //The vector that is not those two is the South point vector.
            0: SouthPoint := TPA[2];
            1: SouthPoint := TPA[1];
            2: SouthPoint := TPA[0];
          end;
        end;
      end;
      Result := FixRad((ArcTan2(-(SouthPoint.y - 20), SouthPoint.x - 561) + MATH_PIOVER2));
      Result := Degrees(FixD(Result));
    end;

It's almost not worth making a thread but it wouldn't be fair if I kept it just to myself. Also, this will give you a result in degrees right away rather than radians. Don't forget to fit this into your makeCompass() function.
    Last edited by Flight; 01-18-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Is SRL OSR developed anymore? Who maintains GitHub etc..

~Home

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Thread Information