Thread: How do I release something as open source?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Default How do I release something as open source?

So I've finished working on an include for a game and I am wondering how to release it on github. I know there is some license thing involved but other than that I know nothing. My include also has some functions from SRL6. How would I credit those?
    Currently lurking while messing around with dll injection. Will continue contributing after I finish my quest.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Well the easiest way is to use a program called GIT. This allows you to easily update the include files by just updating the files on your computer. I personally prefer googlecode as it has a much better raw text format and you can get an auto updater to work with it. To give credits just do as they do in any srl include, give the person who made it/ did some if of credit right about the function. If you need any help just Skype me, its right below my profile pic and it says I'm offline but I'm not Good luck!
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elfyyy View Post
    Well the easiest way is to use a program called GIT. This allows you to easily update the include files by just updating the files on your computer. I personally prefer googlecode as it has a much better raw text format and you can get an auto updater to work with it. To give credits just do as they do in any srl include, give the person who made it/ did some if of credit right about the function. If you need any help just Skype me, its right below my profile pic and it says I'm offline but I'm not Good luck!
    Ok, I have it on GitHub now, but I want to have some sort of license that will "officially" prevent people from selling it. Would it be ok if I copied the SRL 6 License and adapted it?
    Currently lurking while messing around with dll injection. Will continue contributing after I finish my quest.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foundry View Post
    Ok, I have it on GitHub now, but I want to have some sort of license that will "officially" prevent people from selling it. Would it be ok if I copied the SRL 6 License and adapted it?
    Probably? But you'd want to ask someone like @Wizzup? to be certain.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Well the way these open source hoster's work are they let you choose the type of license you want http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html. That is what srl uses and the reflection include...GNU GPL v3. You should already have chosen the license type, and that "should" protect your code.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elfyyy View Post
    Well the way these open source hoster's work are they let you choose the type of license you want http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html. That is what srl uses and the reflection include...GNU GPL v3. You should already have chosen the license type, and that "should" protect your code.
    I found a license I liked and stuck it in my include as a text file. Working on my SRL member app now Thanks

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Just to comment, a full month late - sorry for that - the GPL is a nice license
    because it does not allow companies to take the source and make it "private". In
    addition, if they do decide to use it, they must make everything that uses the
    code GPLv3 too, thus liberating the code.

If you do not want people to "sell" your code, the GPL is usually safe, although
    people can still take it and sell it. I think you probably want a Creative
    Commons license then, those are much more restrictive.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Thread Information