Thread: Ultimate Beginners Guide to Proxies and Runescape!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Wink Ultimate Beginners Guide to Proxies and Runescape!

Hey Guys!

I wanted my first post on the forum to be a good one, but I'm still learning with Simba, so I decided to write a guide about proxies and using them with Runescape instead.

Unfortunately, with it being my first post and a pretty long one at that (it's the result of 40+ hours of research), my IP got banned when attempting to post it on the forum.

Being that I wasn't about to throw away 10+ hours of work, I decided to start my own site to post the many tutorials I plan on writing in the near future.

Ironically, now I need to be logged into a VPS post on the forum (Not anymore, thank you Core!)

If you'd like to learn all you need to know about proxies and using them with Runescape, check out my post at:

http://mysterymuffin.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-proxies/

Right now the tutorial is kinda ugly, but if people find the content useful I'll put in the time to spiff it up and make it look pretty

~Mystery Muffin~
    Last edited by MysteryMuffin; 05-01-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Great guide, thanks for posting it, it was just what I needed. I Have been using HTTP proxies but have been banned, I had no idea they had the weaknesses you have mentioned.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMuffin View Post
    PS if any of the higher ups can help me with my main home IP from being blocked, that would be cool. loading up my VPS every time I want to post is a bit of a hassle
    Perhaps @Coh3n; could help with this

Edit: Just finished reading through, it's very thorough and I like it a lot. One thing that caught my eye though was this:
    I’ve noticed the faster I get through the security prompts the more likely things are to work.
    I do not understand this advice. Through my (I admit very limited) knowledge of software I don't know why this would be the case. It is also pretty bad practice to click through security prompts without reading and understanding them, habits like this lead to Conduit and other undesirables if you're installing software. As a final note, the first thing I thought of when I read this was the line that scammers on Runescape use when they try to trick you into trading something other than what you think you're trading for, example in spoiler
    Example

Scammer: "I'll give you this expensive item for a really good price."
    *Scammer shows item in trade, waits for victim to put up money*
    *Both go through to confirmation screen*
    *Scammer declines*
    Scammer: "You need to be faster to trade or I won't trade with you."
    *This continues a couple of times until the victim is putting up the money and clicking through the confirmation screens as fast as possible, scammer is now happy with the lack of attention given to trade details*
    *Scammer substitutes a different but similar item*
    *Victim goes though trade as fast as possible without checking to make sure the item offered is the same*
    *Scammer accepts this time, victim receives something other than was being offered the previous times*

Now I know this probably isn't intentional or malicious, I just thought I should let you know that that's how it seems at first glance and also how it is generally not good advice. Other than that it seems like an excellent guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Btw, instead of using Proxycap couldn't you just use JVM arguments e.g. "-DproxyHost=23.26.88.198 -DproxyPort=3128" ?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)

@MysteryMuffin; @BMWxi;

@core; would be able to help with that. I know it's happened in the past where people's IP addresses are close to know spam bots, so they get automatically blocked.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coh3n View Post
    @MysteryMuffin;

@core; would be able to help with that. I know it's happened in the past where people's IP addresses are close to know spam bots, so they get automatically blocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMuffin View Post
    PS if any of the higher ups can help me with my main home IP from being blocked, that would be cool. loading up my VPS every time I want to post is a bit of a hassle
    This should now be resolved, let me know if you have any more issues.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Stance on Leechers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Perhaps @Coh3n; could help with this
    Now I know this probably isn't intentional or malicious, I just thought I should let you know that that's how it seems at first glance and also how it is generally not good advice. Other than that it seems like an excellent guide
    Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even think about it, but that is Very True. I put it in there though because I think the Java udp check times out if you take too long to say Java is in fact allowed to be used for the udp check, it was more of a suggestion if you're having difficulties, I'm going to reword it.

I liked your little scenario, we've all met that scammer guy, they all must go to a convention and exchange ideas or something

I appreciate the feedback!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    This should now be resolved, let me know if you have any more issues.
    Thank you Core working perfectly!

It's good to post from my computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Nice guide! thanks

Thread Information