Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think it is time for SRL to expand to other games/uses

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    It's not really doom and gloom, just simple facts. The player base if WAY down from where it was before the investors took over, and so are the profits. Profit per year is down to $6 Million from $10 Million. The player base used to be between 250K and 300K at any given time, now it's roughly 60K. At this moment it's at 55K, and that is a 6:30PM eastern time on a Saturday. Something is wrong there. Removal of bots in '11 made a big dent in the base, but not 80% big. The game Runescape, as a whole, RSC, OSRS, and RS3 is dead. The players that they are bringing in now are not the players who waste an entire weekend playing the game. They are the players who play for 40 mins, realize the grind and quit.

I still really enjoy playing RS3, and I know there are some hardcore OSRS players as well, but you can just look at the world populations and see the problem. It's really common to see 10-20 worlds with <100 players. That's a joke compared to where RS used to be.

I'm not really knocking the games themselves, I still enjoy them, but it's not hard to see how badly the game is performing today.

I'm not denying that the games themselves are lacking considerably. They are. Not only did the removal of bots bring down the average numbers of players, but the introduction of EOC caused a lot of people to quit. OSRS brought some of them back, and will continue to take away players from EOC.

I don't know how long you've been playing, but in 2006-07 (Runescapes glory days), Jagex did a massive bot ban (RS demon bots) and the average of players went down to 60k.The game continued to grow because people loved it, bots came back and the number of players went up to 125k

In 2004-2005 there was the Aryan mass bot ban that also cut down the number of average players. same thing happened.

Don't worry about the number of players right now. Look deep down. If people are happy, you'll have more players, and bot makers will see the potential and make more bots and the number of players will go up.

You said it yourself, you still enjoy the game. As do I and countless others. Runescape has the grind option, but it's also a place to go clanning, hanging out, and player killing. The games appeal is still there. It appealed to people before and it still will.
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    What is your graph based off of?
    Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

At least they drew in 20k new bots on the first day haha. RIP RS.
    Saw a user on Facebook post this:
    Why would bots have any interest in gaining profit in things that aren't yew trees? And I honestly doubt that many bots are giving Jagex a problem right now, otherwise they'd disable more f2p features just like they said. Be a patriot for the growth of our weakened community.
    What are bots going to bot? Lobsters? Mine Rune in the wilderness? Mine copper and coal? 1k bots, maybe. But 20k bots is absurd. FTP botting was mainly for Yews.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingarabian View Post
    What is your graph based off of?
    Just a crude graph of Google trends data overlaid with key events in rs history.

Saw a user on Facebook post this:

What are bots going to bot? Lobsters? Mine Rune in the wilderness? Mine copper and coal? 1k bots, maybe. But 20k bots is absurd. FTP botting was mainly for Yews.
    That was my level 99 sarcasm on display. In reality it's probably half bots.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

Just a crude graph of Google trends data overlaid with key events in rs history.
    Can you lay it further so it reaches 04-05+?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Can you lay it further so it reaches 04-05+?
    it is just this:
    http://www.google.nl/trends/explore#q=runescape
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

It's good enough, thank you folks.

Personally, I still use this to gauge interest:

http://www.misplaceditems.com/2007online.php

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    Leauge of Legends? Maybe a utility that can be developed to get last hits on minions ... LOL, sounds kind of sick, ya?
    this. a league of legends script would definetely appeal to many people, plus low elo is such a pain to deal with

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

On topic, we don't always need to find new games to automate - even though it is fun, we can also work together to create software that does something else than macroing. I'm not saying this is the direction we should go, but yeah.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aliensexist View Post
    this. a league of legends script would definetely appeal to many people, plus low elo is such a pain to deal with
    Already exists, I don't know if I can link websites here, but let's just say there are already two big competitors, a big community for it, and recently both competitors were hit with tons of bans (myself included)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    On topic, we don't always need to find new games to automate - even though it is fun, we can also work together to create software that does something else than macroing. I'm not saying this is the direction we should go, but yeah.

I think a WebGL project would be a good possibility. There is definitely the talent in this community to make a solid game with that api. Of course there are many more things to do besides make games with WebGL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Flame View Post
    Already exists, I don't know if I can link websites here, but let's just say there are already two big competitors, a big community for it, and recently both competitors were hit with tons of bans (myself included)
    send links in inbox please?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I think they need to get it working flawless on mobile & they'd see a huge increase

that should have been the main idea about getting the client html5/javascript instead of java..
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)

I think Simba can be used for other tasks/games, but I think SRL should always remain exclusively for Runescape.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aliensexist View Post
    It would definitely appeal to people; however, I highly doubt simba would be able to expand to LoL and I honestly hope it doesn't. It's one thing to bot something like RS to take out the grind that is everywhere; it's another to use a bot to make yourself feel mighty and skilled (esp when there is no grind involved, levelling bots though are fine).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

This sounds like an amazing idea, we have many people here who have developed various skills and who knows what we can actually do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information