Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Default RuneScape Authenticator [Account Security]

Runescape Authenticator Guide
    By: Jake

Haven't written a guide in quite some time.

Here's a new way to secure your RS account. Can be done via Windows/Mac/Apple/Android devices
    https://secure.runescape.com/m=totp-...icator/landing

1) Install one of these 3 apps.
    - WinAuth
    - Google Authenticator
    - Microsoft Authenticator

2)Go to your Account settings on the homepage of RS. Then click Authenticator, and then click Set Up Now.

3)Now you can either scan this QR code or simply type in random code.

4) Enter your code now.

5) Your Computer will now be secured, allowing that only that computer can be used for RuneScape.
    If you wish to give another computer access to play runescape on your account, simply transfer the code.

6) Whenever you log into play to RuneScape on your Authenticated computer, this will prompt up.
    You can decide to either ignore it for 30 days or enter it each time you log in.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Great guide!

Question, has this replaced recovery questions entirely? They're not on the lobby screen ingame or the account management section on the website anymore. Are recovery answers still viable for recovering accounts?
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Great guide!

Question, has this replaced recovery questions entirely? They're not on the lobby screen ingame or the account management section on the website anymore. Are recovery answers still viable for recovering accounts?
    recovery questions are now part of JAG

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icode View Post
    recovery questions are now part of JAG
    Has this update removed or otherwise deprecated recovery questions that were set before JAG/RS Authenticator was implemented?
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Has this update removed or otherwise deprecated recovery questions that were set before JAG/RS Authenticator was implemented?
    Not entirely sure, but I think this is just another level of security on top of JAG. It does pretty much the same thing that JAG does, just in a different manner. I use it on my main and that's it because my main is all I care about.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Saw this last night. pretty neat. Think you can use Authy instead? https://www.authy.com/

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Yes that works as well. I just used the top 3 that showed up on my app store/play store
    Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Saw this last night. pretty neat. Think you can use Authy instead? https://www.authy.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

How is having an authenticator safer than JAG? Or is it just more convenient?
    99's using SRL bots: Mining, Smithing, Magic, Cooking, Firemaking, Fletching, Hunting, Divination, Fishing, Woodcutting, Defense, Attack, Strenght, Constitution, Contruction, Ranged.
    Thanks to: Ashaman, DannyRS, The Mayor, footballjds, KeepBotting, Press Play, bonsai, Clarity, BANNED ON jonesy259 JASTRALS

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantasx27 View Post
    If I understand correctly, JAG relied on you being the only person to know the answers to your security questions. If the answers to these questions are real things from your life and not made up, they might be easy for an attacker to guess based on what they can find out about you. The authenticator relies on you having a device other than your computer that you know is not compromised.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantasx27 View Post
    Adding on to what bmwxi said, its recommended to make sure the email is two-step secured.
    An example would be texting/calling your mobile in case someone uses your same address to register a new computer to gain access playing rs on your account.
    Simply register a number with your email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

I preferred JAG but I see why this is much more secure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Usefull guide, I doubt I will use Authenticator though :/

Made by P1ng

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

I would use it... if I still had my account
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonHaze View Post
    Usefull guide, I doubt I will use Authenticator though :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

it's great because even if u know the details and recs and hell, even email. U can't login into the runescape. The owner would sooner or later reclaim the account. That is if to remove authenticator you got to go through authenticator. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

I see it more as a 'you should feel that your account is very secure' approach.
    I agree with you though
    Quote Originally Posted by tulpiuka View Post
    it's great because even if u know the details and recs and hell, even email. U can't login into the runescape. The owner would sooner or later reclaim the account. That is if to remove authenticator you got to go through authenticator. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Awesome guide - thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

My authenticator got auto-disabled somehow when i quit runescape.. any idea how that works?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

** I only quit for a month incase you wondered**
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Hey!
    If you're still having a problem, try updating or re-verifying your email.
    http://services.runescape.com/m=rswi...unt_protection
    Let me know if you still have any problems.
    With RuneScape Authenticator enabled, no one can access your account unless they have your username, password and access to your code generator.
    However, the entire system can be disabled via your email account. It is therefore extremely important to keep your email account secure as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by destinyxx View Post
    My authenticator got auto-disabled somehow when i quit runescape.. any idea how that works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Great guide, I had authenticator on my account but after 30 days it did not ask for the pin ? allso if i switched computer it did not ask me about the pin ( was same conection but not same computer) I dunno if it was bugg or what. At same time somone got on my account but did not do anything thought he would take my full guthan ( was afking nmz )

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Sounds like a bug, you can try resetting the questions and re-authenticate your account.
    Quote Originally Posted by elaatl View Post
    Great guide, I had authenticator on my account but after 30 days it did not ask for the pin ? allso if i switched computer it did not ask me about the pin ( was same conection but not same computer) I dunno if it was bugg or what. At same time somone got on my account but did not do anything thought he would take my full guthan ( was afking nmz )

Thread Information