Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fucking textbooks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Default Fucking textbooks!

It's going to be about $700 for a single semester of textbooks for me. I just wanna know why must publishers be such cunts about the cost of academic books! I mean international editions usually cost 1/4 to 1/3 of the price but cover the same material....

Yudodisjagex?!?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzah View Post
    It's going to be about $700 for a single semester of textbooks for me. I just wanna know why must publishers be such cunts about the cost of academic books! I mean international editions usually cost 1/4 to 1/3 of the price but cover the same material....

Yudodisjagex?!?
    The answer is simple: Because those are the only books that actually sell now a days
    !No priv. messages please

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Classic Jagex...

Lol, anyways, never buy from your college bookstore or buy to begin with, just rent on amazon student, very cheap and easy, free returns.

Fun fact, most new editions of textbooks hardly change from their previous editions; they simply add a few more pages, graphics and a new cover, with a juicy markup.

EDIT: Just download the PDFs of your textbooks, they are all over torrents and sharing sites.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

I know the feeling. If any other industry did this it would have a name, right? Yeah its called price fixing. The reason nobody goes after this on textbooks is because "you can't put a small price on education" and they are totally right but in the wrong sense. People on other continents would kill for the opportunities I take for granted like education, but I've gotta kill to come up with the money for education.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Classic Jagex...

Lol, anyways, never buy from your college bookstore or buy to begin with, just rent on amazon student, very cheap and easy, free returns.

Fun fact, most new editions of textbooks hardly change from their previous editions; they simply add a few more pages, graphics and a new cover, with a juicy markup.

EDIT: Just download the PDFs of your textbooks, they are all over torrents and sharing sites.
    I don't rent books because they may be useful for studying in the future and I never buy from my bookstore (I am a senior now and still haven't ever even entered my college bookstore). $700 was the cheapest I could find including international versions and decent used copies.

The PDF's thing is a nice idea though and I will definitely look into it for some of the books I know I wont ever use (Police admin and psych books and stuff).

The only book I managed to find as an ebook was the most expensive book I was looking to buy, so thats good at least, still looking like $600+ for books though :'( RIP wallet
    Last edited by Hazzah; 08-11-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I tell students who can't afford text books to get them out the library and keep renewing them Even if they're the old editions the content will be pretty much the same. In most courses you're not going to have to read the whole thing cover to cover anyway; most likely just a few chapters here and there. The only reason you would want to own a text book is if you think it would come in handy in the future.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    I tell students who can't afford text books to get them out the library and keep renewing them Even if they're the old editions the content will be pretty much the same. In most courses you're not going to have to read the whole thing cover to cover anyway; most likely just a few chapters here and there. The only reason you would want to own a text book is if you think it would come in handy in the future.
    Yeah I did something similar to this in college. All of our textbooks were at the library. You weren't allowed to take them out of the library but you could check them out in 2 hour intervals. So anytime I actually needed the book I would go to the library and do what I needed to there. There were usually multiple copies of the books as well.

You should see if your uni offers the same thing before buying

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

Yarr harr fiddle dee dee

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Thanks, Obama.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Use IRC #bookz
    they are a large large large database of ebooks, you might find your textbook there

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

o.O
    Whats the name of the book that's $600? I haven't seen any textbook yet for over $300.
    I've used sites like
    http://textbooknova.com
    http://en.bookfi.org/
    http://www.gutenberg.org
    http://ebookee.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzah View Post
    The only book I managed to find as an ebook was the most expensive book I was looking to buy, so thats good at least, still looking like $600+ for books though :'( RIP wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    Thanks, Obama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

o.O
    Whats the name of the book that's $600? I haven't seen any textbook yet for over $300.
    I've used sites like
    http://textbooknova.com
    http://en.bookfi.org/
    http://www.gutenberg.org
    http://ebookee.org

Books*, I am a double major in Criminal Justice + Chemistry, P-Chem book is ~$100 for the textbook, ~$100 for the lab book as well (no international versions available for the lab book). My Comparative Criminal justice books are ~$100 each (two of them, international versions available, but are the same price, so no point haha). $100 for intro to psych (graduation requirement).

Then I just have miscellaneous book costs (lab notebooks will cost about $60 between research and P-chem lab and an extra for when I inevitably fill one of them), Police administration book is only $10 for a used copy (I may not even buy it because, well TBH I have never used a book for a class with that professor).

All in all about $600 for one semester. Hopefully the professor for P-chem doesnt decide to change his book midway through (as he has done every year for the last three years) because that will save me money for P-chem 2, but otherwise, its not looking to cheap for me

E: In sciences $300 for a book isn't unusual, last year between Analytical and instrumental my books would have been ~$650 without international versions.
    Last edited by Hazzah; 08-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)

you can buy used books that are in pretty fair condition from other college students who are just dumping them to try and get some of their money back. most schools have like a confessions page or something, try posting on there. check you library for a book sale, you might be able to score some deals

luckily my school provides all of our books

View my OSR Script Repository!

Botted to max
    Guides: How to Report Bugs to the Scripter
    ~~~~ Moved to Java. Currently Lurking ~~~~

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sk1nyNerd View Post
    you can buy used books that are in pretty fair condition from other college students who are just dumping them to try and get some of their money back. most schools have like a confessions page or something, try posting on there. check you library for a book sale, you might be able to score some deals

luckily my school provides all of our books
    Where do you go that provides all of your textbooks? Damn!

---

I'd suggest that you do what Sk1ny did and buy your textbooks second hand, never new. I bought new copies of all of the books I needed in my first semester and it cost me about ~$700 for 4 textbooks... buying second hand the next semester I managed to score 3 books for about $250, all of which would have been ~$600+ new.

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you and you already bought books secondhand and still came to $700, in which case, sucks to be you.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget that you can re-sell the ones you don't want to further reduce the overall cost, and to make you feel like you've just been given free money when you sell them a year later.
    Last edited by Incurable; 08-12-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wetish View Post
    i am definitely going to look through this!

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post

---

I'd suggest that you do what Sk1ny did and buy your textbooks second hand, never new. I bought new copies of all of the books I needed in my first semester and it cost me about ~$700 for 4 textbooks... buying second hand the next semester I managed to score 3 books for about $250, all of which would have been ~$600+ new.

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you and you already bought books secondhand and still came to $700, in which case, sucks to be you.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget that you can re-sell the ones you don't want to further reduce the overall cost, and to make you feel like you've just been given free money when you sell them a year later.
    Yea, second hand my books come to around $700 :/ but ebooks might be my savior this semester haha

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Damn, good luck next semester.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

in my country you just copy them cause that shit aint illegal here, like u copy the 600 pages with a good printer, there are even shops that sell the fotocopied books lol.. they cost like 1/5 of the book

i usually spend 50-80 dollars per semester on this although i sometimes buy the book anyways an they just kill you with the price hah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

go on pirate bay ebooks and see if any are on there, you could do a group buy with your friends and photocopy/scan or just buy photocopy/scan then return the book.

Dont follow me if you dont like breaking the law

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Yup, my computer operating systems book is going to run like... $170

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

I get it
    Because Pirates, right?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post

---
    it's a Univ of Wisconsin school

it's a pretty sweet deal, idk if all UW schools do it. probably not depending on size

View my OSR Script Repository!

Botted to max
    Guides: How to Report Bugs to the Scripter
    ~~~~ Moved to Java. Currently Lurking ~~~~

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Just spent a total of about $750 on all my books

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)