Thread: Just get f.lux...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Default Just get f.lux...

Shut up.

No, seriously, shut up.

You're about to ask me a whole bunch of questions.

Questions such as...

• What does it do?
    • Why would I want it?
    • Why do you keep telling me to shut up?

Just shut up.

Usually it's great to ask questions.

But not today.

Not on this thread.

Not just yet.

Before you start asking...

Before you tell me where I can stick it...

---

Alright, that's enough... so what is f.lux, and why should you get it?

From the website:

Quote Originally Posted by http://justgetflux.com
    f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.
    In other words, f.lux is a screen overlay program that adjusts the temperature of your monitors display to better reflect the time of day, reducing eye strain, fatigue, and brain activity at night. If you've ever felt like your mind was still buzzing two hours after you shut down your PC and went to bed (you know what I'm talking about, be honest), then f.lux will change your life.

But the reason that the URL for f.lux is named as such, and the reason that I had to start this thread off as I did, is that I simply can't put in words exactly what f.lux does, or how it has positively affected my sleeping pattern and eye problems. If you're a nerd of any description, or if you just have trouble sleeping after using your computer for 8 hours every night (how are you not a nerd?), just get f.lux, let it do its thing for at least a week, and decide whether or not you want to keep it.

Trust me, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by Incurable; 08-12-2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling/grammar.

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

I got it a couple of months ago, removed it after a few days because it was distracting.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Err..

This program is quite old...
    Indeed it is, but I've honestly never met anyone else who uses it. Most people I tell about it have never heard of it. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to share in case some people here hadn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    I got it a couple of months ago, removed it after a few days because it was distracting.
    What did you find to be distracting about it? I've got mine set to transition over an hour and I barely notice the change until a few hours later when I remember I have it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    Indeed it is, but I've honestly never met anyone else who uses it. Most people I tell about it have never heard of it. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to share in case some people here hadn't either.

What did you find to be distracting about it? I've got mine set to transition over an hour and I barely notice the change until a few hours later when I remember I have it.
    I'm not used to my screen being anything but white on most pages and it was hard to ignore that it wasn't. I might try it again some time though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    I'm not used to my screen being anything but white on most pages and it was hard to ignore that it wasn't. I might try it again some time though.
    Fair enough, you could always try using a higher temperature (4-5k) to get a part of the effect but not the complete halogen colour.
    Last edited by Incurable; 08-12-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

I got f.lux and it certainly was a good decision, thank you for making this thread. Sometimes when I'm using the computer at night I like to turn f.lux off for a few seconds to see the difference. I almost immediately feel my eyes getting burned out of my skull when I look at all the bright colours on villavu.
    Last edited by Spaceblow; 08-24-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

I'm trying it out... Its really weird. I don't know what color settings I should have...

edit; but seriously, i dont like being told to shut up.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceblow View Post
    I got f.lux and it certainly was a good decision, thank you for making this thread. Sometimes when I'm using the computer at night I like to turn f.lux off for a few seconds to see the difference. I almost immediately feel my eyes getting burned out off my skull when I look at all the bright colours on villavu.
    Yeah, I do that sometimes and it really is amazing the difference between high temperature and low. I completely forget that I'm even using it unless I make the conscious effort to to remember that it's on. You're welcome, glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    I'm trying it out... Its really weird. I don't know what color settings I should have...

edit; but seriously, i dont like being told to shut up.
    Shut up.

Just set your location, set the night time temperature to something low (that you're comfortable with, you'll get used to it after a few nights), and then f.lux should do the rest. You can also set your transition speed to slow so that it doesn't shock you when it changes, and if you're lucky, you won't even notice it changing unless you remember that you've got it installed. I have mine set to 2700K at night due to eye strain issues, but that's the lowest it goes and can look really weird if you're not used to it. I'd suggest starting off at 4000K and getting used to that, then lowering it from there if you feel like it it's not low enough.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Yeah, I do that sometimes and it really is amazing the difference between high temperature and low. I completely forget that I'm even using it unless I make the conscious effort to to remember that it's on. You're welcome, glad I could help.

Shut up.

Just set your location, set the night time temperature to something low (that you're comfortable with, you'll get used to it after a few nights), and then f.lux should do the rest. You can also set your transition speed to slow so that it doesn't shock you when it changes, and if you're lucky, you won't even notice it changing unless you remember that you've got it installed. I have mine set to 2700K at night due to eye strain issues, but that's the lowest it goes and can look really weird if you're not used to it. I'd suggest starting off at 4000K and getting used to that, then lowering it from there if you feel like it it's not low enough.
    This seems good at the moment:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    This seems good at the moment:
    Looks good, be sure to change the transition speed to slow if it feels jarring at night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

I do use it... for a long time now
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Had it for ages and can't live without it. When I got my new laptop it was one of the first things I installed.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I had a friend stay up 24 hours during a hackathon. The combination of f.lux and lack of sleep almost made him go crazy. His plan was that f.lux would rest his eyes

Still though, I think it is a creative software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

What are all your settings for this? Mine seems a little too pinkish.
    Gramercy Sayonara

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    I had a friend stay up 24 hours during a hackathon. The combination of f.lux and lack of sleep almost made him go crazy. His plan was that f.lux would rest his eyes

Still though, I think it is a creative software.
    I'd suspect that it was more his lack of sleep than f.lux that made him go loopy. :P

Quote Originally Posted by FearJan View Post
    What are all your settings for this? Mine seems a little too pinkish.
    Daytime: 6500k
    At night 2700k
    Transition Speed: Slow (60m)

Mine is set to incandescent because that's the best for me and my eyes late at night. I even turn the daytime temperature down sometimes if I have my curtains closed (therefore my room is darker) for whatever reason. Just play around with the night settings until you find something that you're comfortable with, and then forget that it's even there. You'll disable it late one night when you remember it and be suddenly blinded by the difference.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

redshift is the free & open source one
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Used it for ages now, any PC without it seems so weird haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

i do a lot of photo editing and sometimes when my eyes get adjusted at night and I forget that flux is running, all my photos become very warm in color and i have to re-edit them again. But I've used f.lux for over two years and its great.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asianfishy View Post
    i do a lot of photo editing and sometimes when my eyes get adjusted at night and I forget that flux is running, all my photos become very warm in color and i have to re-edit them again. But I've used f.lux for over two years and its great.
    I find this happening too! But in a different way. I don't do any sort of editing, but family/friends will walk past my laptop and say something like "Why is your screen so orange?" to which I have to respond with an explanation of the program and how it works.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I find this happening too! But in a different way. I don't do any sort of editing, but family/friends will walk past my laptop and say something like "Why is your screen so orange?" to which I have to respond with an explanation of the program and how it works.
    hm interesting...i live in a college dorm and i've never gotten any comments like that. It's probably because everyones staring at computers all day they don't even notice differences anymore :P

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asianfishy View Post
    Don't forget that you can disable it for an hour/until sunrise for colour and video editing purposes.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Hey @Incurable; I decided to give it another try and found Darkroom mode. It's really neat. The red is much better on my eyes

Edit: Only issue is certain colours are now invisible. For example, semicolons, brackets, and everything else red in Simba is now indistinguishable from the background colour.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

The only time it annoys me is when I'm sending screenshots, usually of my phone. I take one, remember I've got flux on so then disable it and take another. Definitely a first world problem
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

> bumping this ancient thread

you guys read dates?
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information