Thread: What happened?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Default What happened?

This isn't a bash post or meant to cause anything of the sort it's just me expressing my experience here.

The first bot I ever used (many years ago) was SCAR and it was the coolest thing I ever saw back in the day. I got back into runescape because I saw the bot work and it was about 2 months before I got banned at rock crabs. A year later I gave RS a second chance and suicide botted an account to 99 fishing in F2P using powerbot(or was it RSBot back then). Since my account didn't get banned I pushed my luck one 99 at a time. Eventualy migrated to nexus and went all out with botting there. Had a fuckjagex or javahacking account that gave me free auths and I had a blast. 2 years of that or so and the bot nuke happened and I came back to color. I found villavu after many years of never being here.

I enjoyed the selection of scripts and the fact that contribution is encouraged. So I lurked and leeched for a little bit until I started to see things in scripts I would change or scripts I wanted to make. So I started to learn, and I made some stuff that would help me. Wasn't the best and really didn't help me all that much but it was fun. At that time(maybe 2 years ago) a lot of members here seemed very arrogant and had that mentality that you were stealing someone's work if you copied and credited their code for your own. I mean people have to learn somehow, I never saw the issue especially when you clearly credited them for it. That turned me off from wanting to become a SRL member or anything. I did, however, enjoy the public community. Sure plenty of leechers would come and post and say "you suck I got banned, etc" but there were non SRL-members trying to contribute or just have a conversation.

So I finally got back into Maxing my account(so long, but I still want it). SRL6 is nice and has a lot of cool features, and I am happy when I can write a script that is capable of running for multiple 6 hour sessions with no errors at near max xp/hr. I did it for fishing, mining, smithing, crafting, and currently agility. It has been nice to get help from SRL members along the way and to just further learn. The API is so simple you can just figure out the steps and look up the functions/procedures on the web that you need. I really have to say SRL 6 was done very well. My issue is that I feel there is next to no activity with anything RS3 related on this site. I don't like oldschool nor do I want to go back to it. Script writing might be fun but even then the community just isn't as active. I don't feel a satisfaction from posting a script to the public, and I don't feel motivated to even apply for SRL membership. I can do almost everything on my own, and I'd like to share but I feel like the level needed to update x,y,z isn't justified with numbers of people using it.

The forums also seem a bit dull, most updates are script complaints/bug reports/questions. I like to try and help with questions but I like being able to just talk to people. Is there like a skype chat that exists for everyone here? I know there is IRC but I've been in it and it's just not the same as a voice convo or something. I'm just wondering if there is a place that everyone hangs out to chat, since the forums don't seem to justify it. I mean there's a lot of members but it just doesn't seem active. I know that RS is 'dying' but I don't think that needs to change anything. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are towards the activity of the forums and the community. I'd like it to be more involved, that sure would motivate me to release something.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

In answer to the general question put forth by your post, I'm going to reference on of my earlier posts:

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I really agree with this.

Let's outline a few points here;

1. OSRS is nowhere near as active as RS3. That's a fact. 50k+ online on RS3, and OSRS is luck to hit 15k.
    Just Google the results of the poll if you want. OSRS barely got 400k votes to come back. There's not a huge percentage of the playerbase that plays it.

2. OSRS, by nature, will decline steadily until it's as dead as RSC. Want proof? Go look at RSC's world counter. We're lucky to get 75 people online total (all 3 servers). Yes I still play RSC and it sucks that no one is ever on. RSC was presented in exactly the same way as OSRS was (albeit almost 8 years ago).

3. Reflection macroing clients for OSRS are far more efficient than color-based macros can ever be. This actually isn't the case with RS3, but two major differences somewhat alienate Simba from OSRS:

The fact that reflection is still possible to use as a cheating method, and

the fact that bans in OSRS are nowhere near where they are in RS3.

As @samerdl; said, Simba has been and always will be a fallback, the thing everyone uses when nothing else is working. Granted, Simba has a reflection library for OSRS but the very nature of Simba and the SRL community pretty much renders that point moot.

Why? Because Simba, staying true to SCAR's age-old legacy, is not a bot. I want to call it a CDE (cheat development environment) but it's not even that. It's a program that happens to be very good at playing RuneScape (with the aid of SRL/SRL-OSR). Also by definition, it's nowhere near as user-friendly as other macros. The reason Simba has always been somewhat shunted to the side is just what I outlined earlier; it's a fallback.

I'm not even trying to be rude, I myself only discovered Simba after the bot nuke two years ago. I hadn't a clue that any color-based scriptable macros beyond SCAR ever existed. Why? Because I was sucked in by the bigger names in RuneScape cheating at that time: NeXus, RSBuddy, EpicBot, powerbot.

Don't get me wrong, I think Simba is the best macro out there, but it's just plain confusing. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that point, at least not from the average RS player/botter's point of view (and we all know how stupid they can be).

Once upon a time, every RS cheater was smart and individualized and determined and willing to learn--but that's simply not the case anymore. And that's why Simba will always remain in the backseat.

Which isn't all bad! We have a great (albeit close-knit) community here. We can accomplish the same tasks in manners that other cheating communities cannot.
    Points 1 and 2 do not pertain to this thread, but I believe the rest does.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 08-12-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

In answer to the general question put firth by your post, I'm going to reference on of my earlier posts:

never heard of rsc you can still play it?
    I know the game version but I didn't know you can still play it.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanadekat View Post
    never heard of rsc you can still play it?
    I know the game version but I didn't know you can still play it.
    You've never heard of RuneScape Classic?

Your join date is July of this year, have you really only been playing RS for that long? XD

And no I don't not since my classic veteran accoutn got banned.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

In answer to the general question put firth by your post, I'm going to reference on of my earlier posts:

Agreed with much of that, also the OSR development scene is sort of confusing, the official include isn't really updated and we have a 'unofficial' reflection include and another separate OSR include aerolib (but there's 2 sort of different versions)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brotein View Post
    snip
    I know what you mean, but this isn't necessarily an issue with villavu/simba itself, the fact is significantly less players are player Runescape now, so there is going to be a drop in the participating in RS-related activities such as villavu/simba.

I don't know of any voice chat... and I suspect you aren't going to find a big voice chat place anywhere for RS/scripting related things.

You mention that you don't think that you would be justified in posting some scripts you wrote, or working on some for release. I think you should put something out there first, and then revisit this thought, after you've actually gone through the motions once, to get a real dataset/feeling, instead of speculating, and then decide from there what you want to do.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

There is an unofficial SRL Skype group that you can join, but I don't know if you need to be invited. Some others have been unable to use the link for some reason.
    The thread about it is here: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78694

As for activity of the forums etc, yes it would be nice if there was more activity other than new people posting that something doesn't work or they need help setting up a script.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

You've never heard of RuneScape Classic?

Your join date is July of this year, have you really only been playing RS for that long? XD

And no I don't not since my classic veteran accoutn got banned.
    I have been using powerbot since +- 2011, when it was opensourceI started playing runescape in +- 2010 I quit till somewhere in 2013, botted using powerbot. Read about a LOL tournament between powerbot and villavu, and stopped playing/botting again , cus bans. Now I have some time again and I thought let's check out powerbot, I botted a bit and read the forum about all the bans.So I tried googling the other bots I know like epicbot to find out if they're also getting so mutch bans. After checking them all out I remember Simba, so I checked it out, and that's how I got here
    Last edited by lanadekat; 08-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

In answer to the general question put forth by your post, I'm going to reference on of my earlier posts:

15k max? We get double that sometimes. + the lowest I've seen it at this week was 12k (5am in the morning

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    15k max? We get double that sometimes. + the lowest I've seen it at this week was 12k (5am in the morning
    In fairness, that post is over eight months old.

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Regarding the Forums, they are way less active than it used to be, primarily due to Oldschool being less popular than SpinScape, besides, the game is getting less popular anyway.

Also, a Few of the SRL-Members stopped posting/updating their scripts, so some of the leechers stopped coming on here.

If there are any new threads or activity going on, its usually the new people that joined within the past 1-3 months asking for help on questions that are already answered, or a new user discussing how greatly this game is helping them and stating their wants, LOL.

Anyways, Keepbotting pretty much had most of the answers.

snip

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Good input. Shame that JaGeX put out OSRS. I mean I'm sure people enjoy it, but really it just splits the community. Slowly both die off a result which is a sad thing. I am happy that I was able to learn to script for myself and make scripts I feel are reliable(for me at least). Just wish there was more to strive for here :\

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Good input. Shame that JaGeX put out OSRS. I mean I'm sure people enjoy it, but really it just splits the community. Slowly both die off a result which is a sad thing. I am happy that I was able to learn to script for myself and make scripts I feel are reliable(for me at least). Just wish there was more to strive for here :\
    osr is actually growing atm, today there were around 25-27k players online which is almost twice as much as a few months back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Stuff happened
    Last edited by Daniel; 08-23-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Removed foul language.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

On the bright side, this community has fared well compared to most other RS botting/cheating communities. The nature of color bots and being everyone's fallback is that we don't really have to worry about flatlining.

Thread Information