Thread: My IRL Band

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Default My IRL Band

So I'm bored and looking for something of substance to post. I reckon I'll put this out there and see how many people here like actual music. (y'know, the kind that uses real instruments )

I'm a drummer and I'm in 3 different bands at the moment, but this one would be my "main" one. The other 2 bands are good, but this one has the best musicians and the best music concepts. Not to mention the song selection is the most fun to play. We have 5 originals at the moment, enough for an EP, so we're hoping to take that leap very soon. Renting a studio is rather expensive however.

The name of the band is O3VUS. (oh-ee-vuss) Sort of an anagram for "3 of us". I've played in several bands in my time, and never have any of them sounded this full and complete, especially seeing as this is just a 3 piece. We play a broad range of music, but are weighted towards Heavy Metal/Hard Rock.

So check it out, and feel free to give your thoughts and opinions.

For those interested, you can find our YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCba...iCb4tlaHcdKxJA

There is some more live stuff there, as well as some studio stuff.
    Last edited by Gunner; 09-02-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added Youtube channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    and see how many people here like actual music. (y'know, the kind that uses real instruments )
    Me and Lil Wayne are deeply offended.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    Me and Lil Wayne are deeply offended.
    I actually have more respect for Lol Wayne <- see what I did there...than most of the other stuff out there. At least he makes an attempt to play an instrument. Sure, he plays like a 3 yr old recovering from a head injury, but I have more respect for that than these "musicians" who only push play on a drum machine and call it a day.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Nice man.

I've been looking to find a drummer, but alas no one will take it up.

Life of guitarist and bassist.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    Nice man.

I've been looking to find a drummer, but alas no one will take it up.

Life of guitarist and bassist.
    With a good enough internet connection I could join you remotely! LOL

Seriously though, how come you're having trouble finding a drummer? Odd genre?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

With a good enough internet connection I could join you remotely! LOL

Seriously though, how come you're having trouble finding a drummer? Odd genre?
    Punk-pop and idk no one plays drums around me in my age group.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    Punk-pop and idk no one plays drums around me in my age group.
    Yeah some of that stuff will straight wear a drummer out. We play several punk songs in our setlist, and it's a workout for sure.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

What crash is that? The high one for the beat 2 lightning strikes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buttdestroyr View Post
    What crash is that? The high one for the beat 2 lightning strikes.
    Zildjian ZHT 10" China Splash. A true China has no place is my setup, but a regular Splash is a little too puny for what we do. The China Splash is the perfect mix of both cymbals. It doesn't carry on like a regular China, and it doesn't sound like a toy cymbal like regular Splashes sometimes do. They also make a 8" version, but it had very little "china" and way too much "splash".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I enjoyed listening to this! thanks for the share dude!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Thanks man! We've got a lot more stuff on our Youtube channel if you're interested. There's some studio stuff there, as well as some more live stuff. Check it out if you get the time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCba...iCb4tlaHcdKxJA

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

A little sketchy in some parts (guitar mostly), and I'm not a fan of the vocalists singing, but a pretty solid cover of FWTBT nonetheless. Your drumming is good, how long have you been playing for?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    A little sketchy in some parts (guitar mostly), and I'm not a fan of the vocalists singing, but a pretty solid cover of FWTBT nonetheless. Your drumming is good, how long have you been playing for?
    Grave digging my own thread lol, but I just realized you asked an actual question. I've been playing drums for about 10yrs, and playing bass for 15yrs. Damn saying that makes me feel friggin' old.

As for the vocalist/guitarist, I know what you mean. This was one of the songs that I sang live, but I pushed wayyyy too hard because of the nature of the song and it wound up sounding like ass, so I passed it to him. There is a "studio" version where I'm still doing drums and vocals. See here if you like that one any better:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Grave digging my own thread lol, but I just realized you asked an actual question. I've been playing drums for about 10yrs, and playing bass for 15yrs. Damn saying that makes me feel friggin' old.

As for the vocalist/guitarist, I know what you mean. This was one of the songs that I sang live, but I pushed wayyyy too hard because of the nature of the song and it wound up sounding like ass, so I passed it to him. There is a "studio" version where I'm still doing drums and vocals. See here if you like that one any better:

I wondered why you never replied, figured you never saw it.

Definitely a muuuuuuuuch better cover, your vocals are way more on point than the other guy. He seemed to stop short in the lyrics, where as you carry the note to the end (if that makes sense, I'm terrible at describing music).

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Was this recorded as a band? Or separate? I'm assuming as a group because I think I can hear the metronome click at 1:12. Regardless this is a pretty good cover and your vocals really pretty interesting. Does your band have any original songs?

You should also start a country band. Your vocals sound like they could fit a heavy country or southern vibe spot on.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    I wondered why you never replied, figured you never saw it.

Definitely a muuuuuuuuch better cover, your vocals are way more on point than the other guy. He seemed to stop short in the lyrics, where as you carry the note to the end (if that makes sense, I'm terrible at describing music).
    I know what you mean, that's a common criticism of singers that people can never quite put their finger on. Thanks for the compliment, and sorry for the delay in my reply lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Was this recorded as a band? Or separate? I'm assuming as a group because I think I can hear the metronome click at 1:12. Regardless this is a pretty good cover and your vocals really pretty interesting. Does your band have any original songs?

You should also start a country band. Your vocals sound like they could fit a heavy country or southern vibe spot on.
    It was recorded as a band, that's why the music sounds so muddy. We had bleed all over the place, especially vocal mics and it was hell cleaning it up. But for this track I went back and re-recorded the vocals a couple days later. However there was no metronome, I probably caught a rimshot in there by accident. The lack of metronome is apparent at 3:21 when I run away from the tempo with the double bass fills lol.

As for my vocals, I think you're spot on. I really shine at the Aaron Lewis and Eddie Vedder-type stuff. FWTBT is getting pretty close to the top of my range,I even bump into it at 2:19 lol.

But yeah, we have 5 originals. Only one of which is online, a generic blues-rock bitching about welfare haha. Most of our others are heavy and a couple get pretty dark. My bass player has the vocals on this one:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Very cool i dig it.

Thread Information