Thread: Chrome Extension idea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Lightbulb Chrome Extension idea

So I've had this idea for a little bit and I'm thinking about executing on it soon.

I'm going to create a Google Chrome Extension, similar to AdBlock, which filters out certain results from your YouTube(and possibly other) searches.

Why?
    I listen to pretty much all rap, oldschool, new stuff, trap, and other sub-genres, and there is a problem that occurs every time when I try to find songs. VEVO's and clean/radio-edits of songs. They are just the worst, when half of my song is bleeped out or replaced with dumb words it just ruins the song. My idea is to filter out all of these clean songs, or just all vevos in general.

It might be a little bit difficult to filter out everything at first, automatically, but if it gets some publicity then users could also self-report clean songs.

What do you all think? Poke some holes in my idea?

PS: I've copyrighted, trademarked, registered, and filed a patent on this idea so don't try to steal it!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    PS: I've copyrighted, trademarked, registered, and filed a patent on this idea so don't try to steal it!
    Don't you think its a little late in the process to be poking holes in the idea when youve already done all of that? I'm guessing that must have cost some money?
    I think its a good idea, because I also listen to rap and hate VEVO for their BS filtering.
    The thing about most old school rap and lots of trap music is that they don't have vevos. One reason being most trap artists aren't famous and dont really qualify for the need of a VEVO. Another reason being old school rap doesn't really have radio edits and eliminates the need for your extension. I personally wouldn't use it because I just scroll past the vevo and can usually tell which the genuine song is or will add "explicit" to the search and will be met with the unedited track I'm looking for.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Tang Clan View Post
    Don't you think its a little late in the process to be poking holes in the idea when youve already done all of that? I'm guessing that must have cost some money?
    I was being sarcastic

Thanks for your input though, I do agree with you on the older rap stuff but It still happens sometimes. Also what would be go is that with this the "related videos" would also be filtered so hoping from song to song is less difficult.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

I was being sarcastic

Thanks for your input though, I do agree with you on the older rap stuff but It still happens sometimes. Also what would be go is that with this the "related videos" would also be filtered so hoping from song to song is less difficult.
    I do notice with groups like wu-tang and NWA that they do have radio edits because most New York area music was on the radio. I'm talking about groups like Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, and Big L that are rarely cleaned or radio edited. I personally love the raw music and the extension could bring people in to the old rap where it was still about content and not about fame.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Tang Clan View Post
    I do notice with groups like wu-tang and NWA that they do have radio edits because most New York area music was on the radio. I'm talking about groups like Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, and Big L that are rarely cleaned or radio edited. I personally love the raw music and the extension could bring people in to the old rap where it was still about content and not about fame.
    Yea exactly, It would clear up all the crap and let us just have our music, raw. Thanks for the support, makes me wanna push harder on this idea

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

I threw together a simple extension for you. Download Fck VEVO.rar and extract the file. Drag the file to your extension page and it will install. ext.rar is the source code if you want to look at it. When you search on youtube it hides every result that contains "VEVO". On a video page it hides any related videos containing "VEVO". To be honest its pretty crappy since I've never made a chrome extension before. But it was fun to make.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wetish; 08-23-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wetish View Post
    I threw together a simple extension for you. Download Fuck VEVO.rar and extract the file. Drag the file to your extension page and it will install. ext.rar is the source code if you want to look at it. When you search on youtube it hides every result that contains "VEVO". On a video page it hides any related videos containing "VEVO". To be honest its pretty crappy since I've never made a chrome extension before. But it was fun to make.
    JESUS! Can I hire you!?!?!!? This is epic lol, looks like it doesn't filter out results from VEVO Channels, just titles containing "VEVO" but still super awesome! Seriously...Let me hire you..

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

JESUS! Can I hire you!?!?!!? This is epic lol, looks like it doesn't filter out results from VEVO Channels, just titles containing "VEVO" but still super awesome! Seriously...Let me hire you..
    Can you show me an example of what it doesn't filter out?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Notice: "by 50CentVEVO"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

Notice: "by 50CentVEVO"
    It filters that out for me. Hmmmm. Let me repack it. Delete the one you have installed and install this one. One thing that doesn't work is playlists that include VEVO videos, but there isn't much I can do about that.
    Last edited by Wetish; 08-22-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

I think the problem is that chrome keeps disabling it, and I can't get it enabled after. I've also tried developer mode.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

I think the problem is that chrome keeps disabling it, and I can't get it enabled after. I've also tried developer mode.

Try adding this unpacked extension. You could also try packing it yourself to see if chrome would disable it if you built it.
    Last edited by Wetish; 08-22-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

This is so amazing. I love you.

EDIT: I am now realizing how much VEVO controls music

Thread Information