Thread: ISIS Here in America

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

Default ISIS Here in America

http://www.westernjournalism.com/isi...tos-took-deli/

I don't support the ISIS group in anyway but I just have to ask, why do we, American, not look into anything deeper than face value? I have seen that above picture all over my Facebook timeline along with comments such as kill them all, stomp his head and so on.

I can agree with being mad/upset about what they have done to people but I can't get behind the idea that just because someone wears this symbol they are part of the ISIS. I doubt he is and if he is why would he order a sandwich in a deli? Either way a little history on the actual symbol and the true meaning of it.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-0...sis-flag-means

Also an example of someone who isn't a supporter of the ISIS and had the flag outside his home but agreed to take it down.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/14...understanding/

Should you be allowed to fly this flag? You have the freedom of religion if I remember correctly in America.

Sorry for the little rant but I didn't feel like putting this on Facebook and dealing with everyones ignorant post along with their stupid ass redneck slander and possibly calling me a terrorist.
    Finished B.S. Program in Radiology!!

Projects: A big one! Total secret! hehe

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Some of those comments on the articles are cancerous.

In my opinion:

If he knew it was the ISIS flag then this is a more extreme version of people flying the confederate flag but not supporting slavery. (one of the commenters pointed this out)

If he didn't know it was the ISIS flag (which he says he didn't) then it's just a misunderstanding.

It sort of reminds me how for thousands of years the swastika had no connection with Nazism but then once they started using it it became predominantly associated with it.

tldr: I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as it's not being used because of the connection with ISIS.

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

What the fk did I just read in the comment sections of those articles..?

Anyways, Primarily due to ignorance; a lot of Americans don't even know what ISIS stands for, yet whenever they hear or see that group on the headlines, they lose their minds. I'm an American as well, so is it ironic or not? You decide.

People these days, primarily those that are mentioned in those 3 articles are so quick to judge.

The man who converted to Islam 10 years ago and hung his flag every Friday for the special Friday prayer has every right to keep hanging it up.
    He had the flag up way before ISIS went into mainstream idea/adopted the flag and its message.

You can sure bet that if you head over to the city with the most Muslims in the US, which is Dearborn, Michigan, if I remember correctly, a few of the homes there probably have the same flag hanging outside their home. They wouldn't give a damn to what the social media thinks of a flag they have hung way before ISIS made headlines. Because they know that they are not affiliated with ISIS in anyway, and they have support from other muslims who are their neighbors.

The guy with the flag on the other hand, lives in a small town 20 miles away from New York, probably has no one to support his views.
    Its pretty sad to see how the media reacts due to a man who lives in a low populated town, especially with people sending threats such as 'I'll cut your head off'.

Also, a few of your sentences pretty much sum up reasons why people like myself have deactivated their accounts on fb. Thanks for including them in your post. You did the right thing to not publicly ask anyone on your feed.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

The man in the small town who flew a flag resembling the ISIS flag said he had no idea the design was adapted by ISIS and I believe if he was really a loyal follower he would have had enough pride to stand behind it. I believe him and I don't think he should have to take it down (even though he volunteered). I didn't read any of the comments posted except for the one he cited specifically: "I want to cut his head off". People posting things like that is what's scary; what's the difference between blind morons like that person and Islamic extremists who really do behead people?

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    What's the difference between blind morons like that person and Islamic extremists who really do behead people?
    There's only one difference: Jihadists will actually do it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to imply that such comments are harmless, but the kind of person who makes a comment like that would never say it to someone in person without at least a group of supporters behind them to make them think tough. Group psychology is a powerful thing, but "anonymity" can be even worse.

I'm not even remotely surprised by the comments on those articles, US citizens are among the most ignorant of any Western nation, and that's not even up for debate. Almost 50% (46 from memory, I cbf Googling it to verify) of US citizens believe that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and that a (read: their) deity created the Universe and everything in it for reasons unbeknownst to anyone but that deity, specifically for humanity and the "great plan" that involves us. On top of this, more people think that Obama is a Muslim than accept the theory of evolution. I can provide sources if anyone would like me to, but the fact that I can actually provide them is absolutely ridiculous.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the average US citizen wouldn't be able to point to Iraq or Syria on a map, let alone understand who IS are, why they have the potential to be one of the largest threats the Western world has ever faced, or why they don't represent every damned Muslim on Earth.

EDIT:

Gotta love this post, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag the Pokemon
    Fly the flag of America if you live here. If you want to fly the Israeli flag, go live there and fly it all you want. Shame on you for your lack of respect to the United States. We are a country of diversity but we will not tolerate disrespect from those you decide to come and live here.
    "We're a country of diversity, but you're only allowed to fly the US flag here, otherwise you're one of those Israeli Muslim terrorists!!"

EDIT2:

I'd also like to point out that Christian fundamentalism is on the rise in Australia, and racsism is a huge problem despite that we (as a nation) try to hide it. So please, don't think that I'm just attacking the US based on some pre-conceived notion that my own country is better.
    Last edited by Incurable; 09-08-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

As a Muslim myself I'm disgusted at how ISIS are using the seal of the prophet to taint the religion, ISIS do not represent the religion as they are not accepted by any Islamic state/scholar/sane person other than themselves.

seal-ring-of-prophet1.jpg

This translates to: Muhammad is the Messenger of God/Allah.

It's the equivalent of Hitler/ISIS raising a flag with Jesus is the Son of God and twisting religion to commit atrocities.

I doubt these terrorists even read the Quran as The first verse in the Quran Says: "If anyone slew a person unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land it would be as if he slew the whole humanity."

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

So people are ignorant for automatically calling people terrorists but your not ignorant for assuming their rednecks?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Some of those comments on the articles are cancerous.
    You mean the entire article? The title and photo are clearly clickbait.

"What Happened Next Is Unbelievable"
    "People who do this for a living are very alarmed."
    what about the photo with an obnoxious red arrow pointing at... nothing?

About the website:
    WesternJournalism.com is a blogging platform built for conservative, libertarian, free market and pro-family writers and broadcasters by the Western Center for Journalism (WCJ).

The platform hosts hundreds of bloggers, and our content is widely distributed using social media. In 2013 WesternJournalism.com grew by 103% and served 41,486,142 page views to 13,479,014 unique visitors.
    ITS ALL BLOGGERS! The large majority of these people are those who have not studied journalism and dont have an 'actual' job reporting the news.
    Granted, im sure some of the people are good journalists, the majority of them seem to be only doing this for the clickbait.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    You mean the entire article? The title and photo are clearly clickbait.

"What Happened Next Is Unbelievable"
    "People who do this for a living are very alarmed."
    what about the photo with an obnoxious red arrow pointing at... nothing?

About the website:

ITS ALL BLOGGERS! The large majority of these people are those who have not studied journalism and dont have an 'actual' job reporting the news.
    Granted, im sure some of the people are good journalists, the majority of them seem to be only doing this for the clickbait.
    Clickbait is pretty strong on that article, yeah.

Funny about them seeming to be proud of having no training in journalism. It's like they saw Buzzfeed and decided that they wanted to do the same thing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Of course they use clickbait, they probably are getting paid per click. That would be a pretty nice gig with no formal training.

I doubt ISIS will be able to really do anything significant here. People here can barely recognize Islam as a whole, let alone specific parts of it. Would make for a terrible population to take over.

Thread Information