Thread: [Mac] Problem with Java/SMART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default [Mac] Problem with Java/SMART

Hello everyone.

I am currently using a Mac operating system running OSX 10.8.5. I have followed the "Simba/Smart on Mac OS!" guide by "jakeyboy29" to a tee (unable to post url link due to forum post count). I realise this is an old guide but I was hoping to use it as a platform to start from.

I have installed Wine & Winebottler and have been able to use them fine to install Simba and Java 7 for Windows offline.
    I originally installed Java 7 (through Wine) to a custom location in my Mac Applications folder rather than the standard location from the Setup Wizard (C:\Program Files\Java\jre7). I tried to run the Simba code to launch SMART:

Simba Code:
    program new;
    {$DEFINE SMART} // comment this line out if you don't want to use SMART
    {$i srl-6/srl.simba}

begin
    clearDebug();
    setupSRL();
    end.
    The result:

Simba Code:
    -- setupSRL()
    ---- Setting up SRL...
    ----initSmart():
    ------ Attempting to pair to a previously spawned client
    ------ smartPairToExistingClient():
    -------- Found no free clients to pair to
    ------ smartPairToExistingClient(): result = false
    ------ Attempting to spawn a new client..
    ------ smartCreateClient():
    ---------- smartGetParameters(): Succesfully grabbed paramters
    -------- getJavaPath():
    ---------- Attempting to search for your Java path
    ---------- ERROR: Failed To Find Path: C:\Program Files\Java
    ---------- WARNING: Failed to find your Java path
    ---------- HINT: If RS is failing to switch to OpenGL mode, add JRE to your systems path before JDK (if you have JDK)
    -------- getJavaPath()
    -------- Using parameters httpsworld108.runescape[dot]com/, f475602246127332]
    -------- Using plugins "OpenGL32.dll"
    -------- FATAL ERROR: Failed to spawn a SMART client
    Successfully executed.
    I thought the problem was the custom location of the Java client I had selected. I reinstalled Java to C:\Program Files\Java\ and received the same error.

Things I tried:
    • Changing install locations of Java for windows
    • Reinstalling Wine and Winebottler in an attempt to start Java from scratch
    • Attempted to install JDK but had some trouble (I don't think it would really make a difference)
    • Tried running the code without using SMART (through the browser) but I am unable to because I cannot use the Simba crosshairs to navigate to any client away from Wine
    • Restarting Simba and my computer

At this point I wondered whether Java was actually working through Wine... I then realised that I didn't have the actual Windows Runescape client on my Mac (only the Mac version) to test this on... I tried installing the client but for some reason it is unable to run (it does not generate any error messages, just won't do anything).

I then installed Firefox (for Windows) through Winebottler and navigated to runescape[dot]com in an attempt to use the browser to play. It said I needed to install Java... The link that it generated to install gave is different to the java I installed (I'm assuming it is the online version).

I attempted to install the link using Wine again and the setup Wizard gave me the error:
    There was an error downloading Java to your machine.
    There may be a proxy, firewall, or other network issues causing an HTTP Error 403
    At this point I am stuck...

The problem seems to be around Java running in Wine. I have tried both versions of running Java:
    • Running directly in /Users/[Local folder]
    • Convert to simple OS X Application bundle with Winebottler

to no effect.

Any help anyone can give me would be great. I would love to hear from anyone that is running SMART on a Mac as there doesn't appear to be many from my searches on the forums.

Thanks for your help in advance

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Install Java JRE x86 (NOT x64) If RS cannot run in the browser, it means you've installed x64. Not sure on this though because I also cannot run it in the browser but that's probably because I have Java 6 installed (the default of OSX)

I haven't tested SMART yet but I can tell you that RS works on OSX (in OpenGL & Safemode). I just booted up the Hackintosh and tested.. I didn't test Simba either (didn't test Simba or SMART).

Last edited by Brandon; 09-23-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Why did you install Java 7 through Wine? Java is a cross platform language with an installer for any major OS....

Thread Information