Thread: 1st case of Ebola in USA

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Default 1st case of Ebola in USA

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HP2F720140930

U.S. health officials said on Tuesday the first patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus had been diagnosed in the country after flying from Liberia to Texas, in a new sign of how the outbreak ravaging West Africa can spread globally.

The patient sought treatment six days after arriving in Texas on Sept. 20, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told reporters on Tuesday. He was admitted two days later to an isolation room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

U.S. health officials and lawmakers have been bracing for the eventuality that a patient would arrive on U.S. shores undetected, testing the preparedness of the nation's healthcare system.

Frieden said a handful of people, mostly family members, may have been exposed to the patient after he fell ill. He said there was likely no threat to any passengers who had traveled with the patient. Asked whether the patient was a U.S. citizen, Frieden described the person as a visitor to family in the country.

"It is certainly possible someone who had contact with this individual could develop Ebola in the coming weeks," Frieden told a news conference. "I have no doubt we will stop this in its tracks in the United States."

The Texas Department of State Health Services said it was working with the CDC, the local health department and the hospital "to investigate the case and help prevent transmission of the disease."

"The hospital has implemented infection control measures to help ensure the safety of patients and staff," the statement said.

U.S. hospitals have treated several patients who were diagnosed with Ebola in West Africa, the center of the worst known outbreak of the virus that has killed more than 3,000 people. The previous U.S. patients were all medical and other aid workers who were diagnosed while overseas and flown to the country in a specially outfitted airplane.

Frieden has said U.S. hospitals are well prepared to handle Ebola patients and has assured the public that the virus should not pose the same threat in the United States as it does in Africa.

Ebola symptoms generally appear between two and 21 days after infection, meaning there is a significant window during which an infected person can escape detection, allowing them to travel. Frieden emphasized that Ebola cannot be spread through the air but only through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, diarrhea and tears.

He said that CDC and other health officials were discussing whether to treat the Ebola patient with an experimental drug for the virus, without specifying which one might be considered. Treatments from Mapp Biopharmaceutical and Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corp have been used to treat a small number of patients so far in the outbreak.

Stocks in Tekmira and other small biotechnology companies working on Ebola therapies or vaccines rose on the news of the U.S. Ebola patient in after-hours trading.

(Reporting by Julie Steenhuysen in Chicago and Sharon Begley in New York; Editing by Michele Gershberg and Lisa Shumaker)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

if this spreads, we´re all screwed lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

luckily no-one here goes outside

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qw4rt6yu9 View Post
    What is this outside you speak of?

OT: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first outbreak of Ebola in 1976 in the Congo, so hasn't it been 'floating' around for a while now?
    Secondly, transmission is through direct contact with blood or bodily fluids on broken skin, so I think the majority of us should be completely, unless we have a tendency to come into contact whilst we are injured. Just my two cents..

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

I was wondering how they let a man with Ebola get on the plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by undorak7 View Post
    if this spreads, we´re all screwed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Qw4rt6yu9 View Post

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

yeah I'm going to say inside all day, from now on, in order to avoid helping it spread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    What is this outside you speak of?

OT: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first outbreak of Ebola in 1976 in the Congo, so hasn't it been 'floating' around for a while now?
    Secondly, transmission is through direct contact with blood or bodily fluids on broken skin, so I think the majority of us should be completely, unless we have a tendency to come into contact whilst we are injured. Just my two cents..
    what about sport? if i play rugby ,for example, with an infected dude its highly possible to get infected

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Maybe the doctors researching a cure will finally get proper funding now that it's in a developed country...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Maybe the doctors researching a cure will finally get proper funding now that it's in a developed country...
    You seem like that is wrong/unethical? When a possibly epidemic disease is in the same country as the researchers and that country is as densley populated as the United States, yes I would hope/assume that it would attract more investors and funding.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information