Thread: MindStorms

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

Post MindStorms

Hello everyone,

So, does anyone have ever heard about MindStorms? MindStorms is basically a kit that contains both hardware and software to create customizable robots, through LEGO!
    Firstly, I wanted to know if there's anyone that knows what this is!
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Yeah, my computer science teacher in highschool was very fond of these. I probably have spent upwards of 24 hours of my life playing with these. Unfortunately, the software you have use to program the robots is very frustrating.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Yeah, my computer science teacher in highschool was very fond of these. I probably have spent upwards of 24 hours of my life playing with these. Unfortunately, the software you have use to program the robots is very frustrating.
    We actually used them in my programming course at university, though we used LeJOS which allows you to program them with Java. The great thing about Lego MS is that you can use them at any skill level to do different things to suit your skills.

And yeah, I'm very fond of them too. If I had the spare cash laying around I'd buy a full kit second hand off of eBay.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

I know what they are but dislike them tbh. The software takes a drag-and-drop approach to programming which is nothing like actual languages.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Is it? ouch...got to start working this out, since I have a project of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    We actually used them in my programming course at university, though we used LeJOS which allows you to program them with Java. The great thing about Lego MS is that you can use them at any skill level to do different things to suit your skills.

And yeah, I'm very fond of them too. If I had the spare cash laying around I'd buy a full kit second hand off of eBay.
    I just hope to make it work. Is there any guide or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Oh yeah, I had one of those when I was 8. And now I feel old. Damn.
    When you were 8? I feel so dumb.. right now

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I know what they are but dislike them tbh. The software takes a drag-and-drop approach to programming which is nothing like actual languages.
    Then it will be a pain in the..
    Last edited by onilika; 11-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onilika View Post
    Is it? ouch...got to start working this out, since I have a project of it!
    It has a variety of different capable languages, just not necessarily in the default included software, a few google searches should help out there
    When you were 8? I feel so dumb.. right now
    http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Mindstorms It's been around almost 20 years now, but don't worry, not knowing of an unpopular programming oriented semi-robot by lego doesn't exactly make you dumb

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Wow, I actually looked it up and saw a 8-10 year old kid explaining how to make the robot stop when a color is seen by it. Given it's still drag and drop it's still pretty impressive.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Wow, I actually looked it up and saw a 8-10 year old kid explaining how to make the robot stop when a color is seen by it. Given it's still drag and drop it's still pretty impressive.

That's the beauty of Lego MS, it can be used by a child to create something simple which explains to them basic programming concepts, all the way to something like this, which is an automated Rubik's cube solver:

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Thread Information