Thread: The Big Daddy of Tutorials for Epic Noobs

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Default The Big Daddy of Tutorials for Epic Noobs - From Leech to SRL Member

UPDATE 14/05/2018: I haven't been active in over a year, so a lot of the stuff related to tutorials/etc has probably changed by now. I'm sure it's still useful in some capacity as the general "steps" are the same. Just keep in mind that it's probably outdated in some areas and I don't have the time to change anything.

The Big Daddy of Tutorials for Epic Noobs

Helpful Thread Index

If you're just here for the index, that's totally fine, here you go:

For Leechers

Rules, FAQ, & Newcomer Introductions

Setup & Scripting Tutorials

Script Forums

Scriptwriters Help Forums

SRL Member Rank

For everything else, read on!

1. Introduction & Aim

So, you want to stop being a leeching noob and start contributing to the community, but have no idea what you should really do to get started? Fear not, you've come to the right place!

This thread originally started as a joke, but will slowly be turned into a guide that -- along with existing as a helpful thread index for newcomers -- encourages...

1. leechers to contribute as newcomers
    2. newcomers to become new scriptwriters
    3. new scriptwriters to learn by reading tutorials and asking questions

... with the ultimate goal of helping those willing to learn to become active, contributing members of the community.

2. Leeching vs. Contributing

Before we begin, I think it's important that you understand what exactly the difference is between leeching and contributing. Despite being written in 2006, this post by the leader of SRL, @WT-Fakawi, summarises very well just what leeching is, and just what this community is all about. As you can see (because you clicked on that link and read it -- if you didn't... bah! ), a leech is a person that takes from the community and gives nothing in return. While leeching is tolerated (everything would be private otherwise, not just the goodies in the higher boards ), it's not encouraged, and you will get very little if any support from the community if you don't intend to give anything back.

I think that it's also important to note, however, that giving back or "contributing" doesn't mean that you have to learn how to script! On the contrary, there's two ways that you can contribute to the community.

The first, and most obvious method, is to learn how to script in order to release your own scripts for others in the community to use. This is fairly straight forward, and it's also going to get you access to higher boards if you successfully apply for the SRL Member rank.

The second, and less obvious method of contributing, is engaging in community discussion with quality posts, testing other's scripts, and providing them with constructive bug reports and feedback. You don't need to understand how a script works to report a bug, and you certainly don't need to understand how a script works in order to suggest improvements, features, or different methods of solving a problem.

This tutorial will mostly deal with the first method of contributing, but the next section is relevant to both kinds of contributor.

3. Forum Contribution

Honestly, this section is fairly short. Why? Because I believe that forum contribution is actually incredibly easy to do right, and only requires three things:

1. That you abide by the rules
    2. That you don't post anything that doesn't positively affect a thread (continue discussion, give feedback, etc)
    3. That you think before you post

... and that's pretty much it!

4. First Steps

Now that everything else is out of the way, let's get onto the fun stuff: learning how to write our own scripts!

1. Read this: How to install/setup Simba for RS3

2. Then this: THE Beginner's Simba Tutorial

3. Followed by this: Simplistic Beginners Guide To RS3 Scripting

4. And if you're really getting the hang of it, this: All-In-One RS3 and SRL6 Scripting Tutorial!

5. Then post your first script here for feedback: Forum: First Scripts

Have you followed the 5 steps above? Did you learn much? Great! By now you should have the hang of scripting, and maybe even able to help others with any basic problems that they have!

If you followed the first few steps above, but couldn't manage to get your first script together to ask for feedback, don't give up just yet! Post in this section of the forum with a detailed explanation of your problem(s) and the question(s) that you need answered, along with any relevant code in [simba] tags. Remember to remove any identifiable information (username/password) from your code before you post!

5. The Next Step

Congratulations, you've learned how to write a basic script, and you're keen to keep on going... that's... well... THAT'S AWESOME!

Now that you've learned how to write a basic script, it's time to move onto some more advanced stuff. Unfortunately, there's a lack of intermediate and advanced tutorials on this forum, but the ones that are available are nonetheless very helpful and do a great job at explaining some more advanced concepts. If you didn't do so in the section above, go back and read the tutorial in step 4 before continuing.

The next steps are actually quite simple, but from here it's all about how much time and effort you're willing to put into advancing your skills. If you intend to apply for SRL membership eventually, then you need to understand how to use TPAs (TPointArrays) to find objects, common but mandatory failsafes, variable scope (global vs local), arrays, case statements, and randomisation of click locations, wait times, etc. You will also want to know how to use the SRL Player Form, and to make sure that you have a solid grasp of code standards. These are all things that you will need to take the time to learn for yourself, and there is no single tutorial that will teach you absolutely everything (though @The Mayor's AIO tutorial does a pretty damn good job of getting you started).

But, since this thread started off as a smartass list of forum threads, here's a bunch more steps to push you in the right direction:

1. Read all of these: Forum: RS3 Intermediate Scripting Tutorials

2. Release your script(s) here: Forum: Runescape 3 Scripts
    And/or here (you should have access at this point): Forum: Jr. Member RS3 Scripts

3. While asking for help with any problems you have here: Forum: RS3 Help
    And/or here (again, you should have access): Forum: Jr. Member General Help and Discussion

6. Conclusion

Congratulations, you're now a valued, knowledgeable, contributing member of the community!

If not, then you haven't followed a single step in this guide and I don't even know what you're doing. You should probably stop doing that and do something else instead... maybe knitting, knitting is a pre-requisite for all of the ranks above SRL Member anyway, so it can't hurt to learn how to knit sooner rather than later. A whole buttload of guides to knitting can be found here.
    Last edited by Incurable; 05-14-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Updated lots of stuff!

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

Nice!

This should help many noobs. (:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Seems like I'm only missing the very last step! Thanks OP, now I know exactly what to do! :3

In all honesty, great tutorial. Pulls double-duty as a directory of very useful tutorials in general.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post
    When I click the last link...
    Think it's for below us, mate.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Seems like I'm only missing the very last step! Thanks OP, now I know exactly what to do! :3

In all honesty, great tutorial. Pulls double-duty as a directory of very useful tutorials in general.
    I posted this as a joke mainly, but you're right, I didn't think of it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post
    When I click the last link...
    That's because you're already a fancy schmancy auto-script writing member!

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

SRL Members+ cannot re-apply for SRL Membership (hence why some people are getting the "you do not have permission to access this page" message

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Thanks for this (: It's nice to just have this bookmarked as I had most of those pages bookmarked individually before. Very convenient for noobs like me who are trying to learn to script.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    SRL Members+ cannot re-apply for SRL Membership (hence why some people are getting the "you do not have permission to access this page" message
    So you're saying I'm not good enough? Real cool. Here is a link most won't be able to access: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110886

How does it feel????

OT This is a nice summary for folks

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by everve View Post
    Thanks for this (: It's nice to just have this bookmarked as I had most of those pages bookmarked individually before. Very convenient for noobs like me who are trying to learn to script.
    I originally posted this as a joke, but I'm glad to know that someone's actually finding it useful.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Thread cleaned up. Please keep it on-topic

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

EDIT: Updated pretty much everything in the OP. Suggestions for more sections, information, or links to go into the index are more than welcome.
    Last edited by Incurable; 12-01-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Read this one weird tip that will make you rise through the ranks!

See how this average joe uncovered the secret requirement for promotions! The admins hate him!

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    knitting is a pre-requisite for all of the ranks above SRL Member anyway, so it can't hurt to learn how to knit sooner rather than later. A whole buttload of guides to knitting can be found here.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice tutorials, will definitely be reading them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I did not get the joke. was thinking it was a script Tutorial.
    But nice work, i do see there is a few things up there i need to do...
    Nice Tutorial on
    The Big Daddy of Tutorials for Epic Noobs to become a valued, knowledgeable, contributing member of the community!

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for the guide, incurable.

Thread Information