Thread: Need a new gaming project to pass time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Smile Need a new gaming project to pass time

Hey guys, its been a while since i'v been on the forums.

Wondering if anyone has a good basic game idea for me.
    Looking for something to pass the time, easy - intermediate level java game.

Some things i'v already done:
    Pac-man, some of worlds hardest game, Mario (side scrolling), text adventures, basic tetris.

Thanks for the help guys
    -Rez

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Do you really want to stick with Java game programming, or would you consider moving on to other pastures?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Honestly, for now I just wanna stick with java programming. I just find it a bit more fun
    Also want to try out the new capabilities of java 8, along with utilization of proper multithreading.

Look into C++ gaming though.
    -Rez

For the basics of the basics of pascal, try my TuT. ||Photoshop Editing ||MapleResourceDung Script || Book a flight! BuySellTrip

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

If you want a challenge, try making a simple RPG in 3D. It'll keep you busy for a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I mean, fair enough. It will keep me busy
    However, I wouldn't consider a proper 3D RPG game to be easy - intermediate in terms of programming with java.

Either way, any ideas for a game?

-Rez

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezozo View Post
    However, I wouldn't consider a proper 3D RPG game to be easy - intermediate in terms of programming with java.

-Rez
    I agree, so stick to a 2D RPG game, that's perfectly suited for someone with intermediate skills in Java or someone who is past the beginner stage and almost onto the intermediate.

There's a million Java RPG tutorials on YouTube and the Internet, so using them as a guide will make it easier too. Also, there's a few 2D Java game development libraries out there like LWJGL and Slick2D, but if you want to get some big experience under your belt then you should write your own.

Good luck, and post a thread to keep us up to date!

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

-Rez
    Yea, a basic Java what I call "2.5D" game would be cool, with graphics like:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

-Rez
    I said for a challenge :P

I'd stick to a RPG game either way, it keeps you occupied and you learn a lot. Maybe remake your own Zelda? You can find a lot of the artwork online, so you only have to worry about the coding. Plus, if you're a student, it can essentially land you a game developer intern job easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    I agree, so stick to a 2D RPG game, that's perfectly suited for someone with intermediate skills in Java or someone who is past the beginner stage and almost onto the intermediate.

There's a million Java RPG tutorials on YouTube and the Internet, so using them as a guide will make it easier too. Also, there's a few 2D Java game development libraries out there like LWJGL and Slick2D, but if you want to get some big experience under your belt then you should write your own.

Good luck, and post a thread to keep us up to date!
    Yup, currently looking through many of the guides. Definitely will look into LWJGL. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

That looks like the general RPG idea that popped into my head when RPG was mentioned. Any ideas for a theme?

Quote Originally Posted by akarigar View Post
    I said for a challenge :P

I'd stick to a RPG game either way, it keeps you occupied and you learn a lot. Maybe remake your own Zelda? You can find a lot of the artwork online, so you only have to worry about the coding. Plus, if you're a student, it can essentially land you a game developer intern job easily.
    Very true. The Zelda idea is very interesting. One of my coding buddies mentioned a multiplayer version of that, which I might try out. And true, I would like to focus on the coding area; so existing artwork does help!

-Rez

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

Open universe space RPG with multiplayer thanks.
    There used to be something meaningful here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Space RPG sounds rather interesting actually. I immediately think of a pokemon styled top down view, in space with different adventures per world/planet. Like kingdom hearts, but 2d. Might very well try this!
    -Rez

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Is that a 2.5D runescape clone?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanadekat View Post
    Is that a 2.5D runescape clone?
    It looks similiar to Paladino76's 2D RS emulator.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Thread Information