Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pc setup for botting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Default Pc setup for botting?

hey! I am actually running a small Simba bot farm. Im running each bot in separate VM (VMware workstation). My current setup handles 9 accs.

My current setup is:
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 (3.3ghz, 3.7ght Turbo, 4 cores, 8 threads)
    RAM: 16bg ram @ 1600Mhz
    GPU: Saphire hd 7770
    Power Supply: Seasonic 360w gold

I would like to run at least 15-20 accs. So my questions are:

• Wouldn't it be more efficient (eg. in terms of power consumption) to get a server instead? (I dont use this PC for anything else) - would it cost alot more?
    • I obviously need more cores than 4. Should I rather get higher-clocked 6core or lower-clocked 8 core for this purpose?
    • Is there a reason to get a GPU for this purpose? Will VMs running SMARTs use its power or is it just extra power consumed?
    • Would switching to a different OS bring any performance boost? I'm still not sure if the VMs use my GPU at all

+ I'll appreciate if you share any of your experience in this field!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Since most of the computing is done in CPU it's about equal power for server/desktop cpu

remember the GPU you have at load pulls ~185 watts and your cpu pulls 80watts (intel rated) so you want a better power supply if you're putting the gpu under load
    as far as botting goes runescape barely touches the gpu so you're good there, but if you were to max the gpu out for some reason it'd be throttled by not being able to pull enough power MAYBE.. seasonic is very efficient & you're pretty much right at the mask so it'll probably be fine.
    that's also just 2 pieces, minus ram / drives etc so..

as far as "should you get a gpu" I've never really seen a benefit, especially if your processor has a iGPU there's really no benefit for runescape botting that is. specifically.. this is where I'd go desktop CPU over server CPU.

if you ditched your system & went
    http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/...up-to-4_40-GHz
    with the desktop cpu instead of
    http://ark.intel.com/products/65732/...Cache-3_30-GHz

you have major benefits of: much faster cpu, newer instructions, don't need your GPU, less power consumption, will actually work with your RAM as the server processor really benefits from ECC memory (way more expensive)
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nufineek View Post
    hey! I am actually running a small Simba bot farm. Im running each bot in separate VM (VMware workstation). My current setup handles 9 accs.

My current setup is:
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 (3.3ghz, 3.7ght Turbo, 4 cores, 8 threads)
    RAM: 16bg ram @ 1600Mhz
    GPU: Saphire hd 7770
    Power Supply: Seasonic 360w gold

I would like to run at least 15-20 accs. So my questions are:

• Wouldn't it be more efficient (eg. in terms of power consumption) to get a server instead? (I dont use this PC for anything else) - would it cost alot more?
    • I obviously need more cores than 4. Should I rather get higher-clocked 6core or lower-clocked 8 core for this purpose?
    • Is there a reason to get a GPU for this purpose? Will VMs running SMARTs use its power or is it just extra power consumed?
    • Would switching to a different OS bring any performance boost? I'm still not sure if the VMs use my GPU at all

+ I'll appreciate if you share any of your experience in this field!
    I'm slightly confused on why you would run each bot in a separate vm. As I understand each vm runs a virtualized OS so this will take up much more cpu than if the bots were just run on the host OS.
    Btw I have seen a few servers used for about $200 on amazon that have dual quad core xeons so you might want to look into that.
    I suppose switching to a lightweight linux distro like lubuntu/xubuntu would use less ram but probably not much in the cpu side of things.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Isn't GPU important now that we use OpenGL/DX instead of safemode?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    Since most of the computing is done in CPU it's about equal power for server/desktop cpu

remember the GPU you have at load pulls ~185 watts and your cpu pulls 80watts (intel rated) so you want a better power supply if you're putting the gpu under load
    as far as botting goes runescape barely touches the gpu so you're good there, but if you were to max the gpu out for some reason it'd be throttled by not being able to pull enough power MAYBE.. seasonic is very efficient & you're pretty much right at the mask so it'll probably be fine.
    that's also just 2 pieces, minus ram / drives etc so..

as far as "should you get a gpu" I've never really seen a benefit, especially if your processor has a iGPU there's really no benefit for runescape botting that is. specifically.. this is where I'd go desktop CPU over server CPU.

if you ditched your system & went
    http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/...up-to-4_40-GHz
    with the desktop cpu instead of
    http://ark.intel.com/products/65732/...Cache-3_30-GHz

you have major benefits of: much faster cpu, newer instructions, don't need your GPU, less power consumption, will actually work with your RAM as the server processor really benefits from ECC memory (way more expensive)

Thanks for ur answer grats! The 4790k really would suit my needs better. Especially if there's really no use for GPU. But the extra clock speed would not get me anywhere near 20 accs. I think I'd need something like 5820K (6core, 3.3-3.6ghz, $580 in my country) or E5-2630V3 (8core, 2.4-3.2ghz $900 in my country). The Xeon seems to eat a lot less power in this case so that's what turned me wondering which way I should go.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Isn't GPU important now that we use OpenGL/DX instead of safemode?
    While reading @grats;'s post, this is the thing that jumped out at me. I'm almost positive that RS now utilizes your graphics card quite a bit when running under OGL/DX.

@OP: why run each bot in a separate VM? I can't imagine how much that impacts performance.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    While reading @grats;'s post, this is the thing that jumped out at me. I'm almost positive that RS now utilizes your graphics card quite a bit when running under OGL/DX.

@OP: why run each bot in a separate VM? I can't imagine how much that impacts performance.
    Yeah I think I would be able to run at least 50% more if I did not run each in separate VM. I want each one to have different IP and MAC addresses. Not sure if this is the best way also..

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Yea I haven't been on rs for like 1-2 years but the iGPU in the desktop CPUs would handle openGL without a problem.. the problem with runescapes implementation of openGL is it actually uses more CPU than software rendering.. unless that's changed (I doubt it)

Yeah I think I would be able to run at least 50% more if I did not run each in separate VM. I want each one to have different IP and MAC addresses. Not sure if this is the best way also..
    Yea hypervisor would save you a bit of ram but probably not worth the trouble

should be able to proxy smart instances individually, no? I remember someone has in the past.. that'd save you a lot of ram & a tiny amount of cpu power
    Last edited by grats; 02-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Yea hypervisor would save you a bit of ram but probably not worth the trouble

should be able to proxy smart instances individually, no? I remember someone has in the past.. that'd save you a lot of ram & a tiny amount of cpu power
    Oh...never heard of this

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Oh...never heard of this
    RS is able to detect proxies. You would have to have a plugin that VPN'd each instance of Simba/SMART to avoid single IP detection on their side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serajin View Post
    RS is able to detect proxies. You would have to have a plugin that VPN'd each instance of Simba/SMART to avoid single IP detection on their side.
    Yeah that's why I am using VM + proxifier for each of them or are they able to detect this?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serajin View Post
    Since he isn't that concerned on the "security" aspect of VPN just the different IP address.. he can probably get a VPN that has a couple IP's for cheap, you think?

I wonder how hard it would be to tunnel traffic from multiple smarts through multiple VPNs I know setting up multiple VPN connections simultaneously isn't really difficult..

In the past I always just did like 30 accounts on 1 IP without ever having problems lol

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

I figured as much. There's no reason to do that - me and @No Lifer; recently came up with definitive evidence (besides the fact that it's simply unfeasible) that Jagex doesn't ban by IP or MAC.

You can read the post here
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

BUMP: any thoughts on the setup anyone?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

BUMP: any thoughts on the setup anymore?
    Proof tested i4790 4gz processor can handle 16 bots. 20 accounts ir prolly too optimistic. Some people only run 12 on similar devices, depends on graphics mode and even abit on script intesitivity like small wait times in loops causes alot of cpu recources to be used so like repeat 20ms check isnt economical better is like 200ms because human reaction speed is around 200ms too also so even works like antiban. Never seen anyone had over 16 tbh.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmasjdz View Post
    Proof tested i4790 4gz processor can handle 16 bots.
    can you clock it to like 4.5? I wonder what the boost is there
    was 16 bots without any lag at all?

I had a 3930k once upon a time, probably handled around 20 or so

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

can you clock it to like 4.5? I wonder what the boost is there
    was 16 bots without any lag at all?

I had a 3930k once upon a time, probably handled around 20 or so
    It was 16 my green drags bots. I was teamviewing behaviour for a guy i lended scipt(used self deleting snippet) And it was huuge lagg for few last ones, cause no enough cpu left, especially when they synchonize their moves for example search drags same time then gf, some even become standing till logout. And i think it is clocked to 4.4 but he didnt. If i remember corectly was 8gb ram windows 7 but tooked transparency off and stuff to look like windows 95

When reduced agressiveness of loops wait times and minimized search areas it became better. Price/accounts handled and power consuptions ratio is best for used ones.

Interesting stuff was he requested to log out everytime after trip cause said botwatch loses information and only saves it untill account is running. But after all he got bans faster than i did.

Personally i run actually Pentium® Processor B980 2.4gz 4gb ram and can handle 4 bots opengl sometimes only 3, directx mostly 4, got 2 of those laptops. Power consumtion around 250w for both.

Personally iv been thinking of running heavier farm. Let say you get 16accounts for 1k euro and 400w while you can get like 4 accounts for 250 euro and 120w(if new). No big difference. Maybe if you get cheaper i mean like i did second one i got used for around 50 euro it is better having few worse laptops. Also considering farming heavy having all eggs in one basket isnt very good idea. Cause you never know if it will crash and require repairing or no.

Basicly if id farm id buy few cheaper used laptops instead of a new beast.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmasjdz View Post
    It was 16 my green drags bots. I was teamviewing behaviour for a guy i lended scipt(used self deleting snippet) And it was huuge lagg for few last ones, cause no enough cpu left, especially when they synchonize their moves for example search drags same time then gf, some even become standing till logout. And i think it is clocked to 4.4 but he didnt. If i remember corectly was 8gb ram windows 7 but tooked transparency off and stuff to look like windows 95

When reduced agressiveness of loops wait times and minimized search areas it became better. Price/accounts handled and power consuptions ratio is best for used ones.

Interesting stuff was he requested to log out everytime after trip cause said botwatch loses information and only saves it untill account is running. But after all he got bans faster than i did.

Personally i run actually Pentium® Processor B980 2.4gz 4gb ram and can handle 4 bots opengl sometimes only 3, directx mostly 4, got 2 of those laptops. Power consumtion around 250w for both.

Personally iv been thinking of running heavier farm. Let say you get 16accounts for 1k euro and 400w while you can get like 4 accounts for 250 euro and 120w(if new). No big difference. Maybe if you get cheaper i mean like i did second one i got used for around 50 euro it is better having few worse laptops. Also considering farming heavy having all eggs in one basket isnt very good idea. Cause you never know if it will crash and require repairing or no.

Basicly if id farm id buy few cheaper used laptops instead of a new beast.
    hmm yea disabling aero probably didn't do much since it's written by the GPU
    8gb at 16bots though might have been doing some paging also eating cpu cycles so maybe slightly less lag could have happened, but 16 is probably the max. sounds about right.. since sandy bridge that's about what I've seen "stable" is 1 bot per 2.0ghz of an intel thread.. on any of their CPUs is a bad average but it's what I've seen on any given cpu really
    you got the 4 core 8 thread.. at 4.0ghz.. which is 16 bots (8*2 cuz 4.0ghz)

weird though how the newer architectures don't seem to have very much difference on that estimate, I guess runescape isn't getting "lighter" to run, so maybe that's the cause

interested to see the 14nm chips, wonder if way better or roughly the same.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

hmm yea disabling aero probably didn't do much since it's written by the GPU
    8gb at 16bots though might have been doing some paging also eating cpu cycles so maybe slightly less lag could have happened, but 16 is probably the max. sounds about right.. since sandy bridge that's about what I've seen "stable" is 1 bot per 2.0ghz of an intel thread.. on any of their CPUs is a bad average but it's what I've seen on any given cpu really
    you got the 4 core 8 thread.. at 4.0ghz.. which is 16 bots (8*2 cuz 4.0ghz)

weird though how the newer architectures don't seem to have very much difference on that estimate, I guess runescape isn't getting "lighter" to run, so maybe that's the cause

interested to see the 14nm chips, wonder if way better or roughly the same.
    Yeah if you call stable scrystal clear anytime anywhere then yep, when i am improving any script, listening to music mostly running youtube i only run 1 bot and 1 test bot. Otherwise 3rd one slightly interrupts. And only use 4 on semi afk like scripts like bonsai fighter or woodcutters overnight, so in case one simba crashes or laggs out 3 remains. But stable is 3 for 2x2.4gz. Everytime survives overnight and no lagg related issues, but slightly laggy 3rd one.

About cpus the newer it is the more you pay for 'newer'. So performance is logic no matter what cpu is 2gz is still 2gz

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

I figured as much. There's no reason to do that - me and @No Lifer; recently came up with definitive evidence (besides the fact that it's simply unfeasible) that Jagex doesn't ban by IP or MAC.

You can read the post here
    If 'red flagging' still a thing then?

As for the OP, have you considered getting a K series i5?
    Idk if hyperthreading is an advantage for botting?
    And most recent Intel cpus can overclock to about 4,2-4,5 on stock vcore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Yeah.. running each acc in one VM is super cpu power waste. But how would I even handle like 20 accs all on one desktop? This is where the VM solution comes handy to me. Or is there a way to sort the SMARTs within one desktop? Something like more desktops in win 10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I think most ppl who do what you're trying use vps providers rather than a super PC, just off what I remember from a few years back

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

I don't want to create a new thread, but which VPS would people recommend for a person wanting to run 5-7 bots on it?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Yeah.. running each acc in one VM is super cpu power waste. But how would I even handle like 20 accs all on one desktop? This is where the VM solution comes handy to me. Or is there a way to sort the SMARTs within one desktop? Something like more desktops in win 10?
    You're talking about how linux has multi desktops? / workspaces

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

that's a good one I've seen used on windows

I guess windows 10 might have it built in, since it's the only OS / desktop environment that doesn't have it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Im New Sry View Post
    I don't want to create a new thread, but which VPS would people recommend for a person wanting to run 5-7 bots on it?
    Renting 1 VPS and running 5 bots on it? I guess the cheapest one you find with the hardware required... ?

you should go for 4 cores and 3GB+ of ram probably to run "smooth" or more hardware for even smoother..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

You're talking about how linux has multi desktops? / workspaces

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

that's a good one I've seen used on windows

I guess windows 10 might have it built in, since it's the only OS / desktop environment that doesn't have it these days.

Renting 1 VPS and running 5 bots on it? I guess the cheapest one you find with the hardware required... ?

you should go for 4 cores and 3GB+ of ram probably to run "smooth" or more hardware for even smoother..
    I found this one - http://vpsgamers.com/runescape-botting-private-proxy/ but I've seen people get good VPS's for <12$, so I don't know. I've tried looking for some other stuff like Photon or Azure but they don't seem good enough. I just thought maybe someone uses a good VPS and can recommend straight away. :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information