Thread: Wanna learn JavaScript

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Default Wanna learn JavaScript

Need help from those who recently learnt them.. There are millions of tutorials out there and I dont know which one to follow.
    Have prior exp in java, C++, basic html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

http://www.w3schools.com/

That is one of the best websites ever created for learning webdesign. I took a web prog course a few semesters back, and that site was reference a lot by the prof. I personally use it more as a reference though, so make sure you find a project to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Ce ne sont que des gueux

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by destinyxx View Post
    Need help from those who recently learnt them.. There are millions of tutorials out there and I dont know which one to follow.
    Have prior exp in java, C++, basic html
    never EVER use w3schools, it's possibly the worst website ever made for web anything

start your adventure here:
    http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    never EVER use w3schools, it's possibly the worst website ever made for web anything

start your adventure here:
    http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript

I shall look into codecademy ,thanks grats..
    Also, do you ahve any idea where I could put JS into practice?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fimmy Jallon is here ! Lets get Fimmy!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by destinyxx View Post
    I shall look into codecademy ,thanks grats..
    Also, do you ahve any idea where I could put JS into practice?
    What do you mean into practice, like making your own website?

the best way to learn anything in coding is give yourself a random project and do the random project

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

genuine question to grats or whomever can answer it: why is w3schools hated so much?

I ask this question already knowing how many issues the website had in 2011-2013. I have been on w3fools and the last time that website specially supported their claim of w3schools being bad was back in May 1, 2013. Since then, w3fools have simply said a message with no evidence. So yes, w3schools had issues back then, but what makes it back now?

(honestly it just feels like a circle jerk now)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x[Warrior]x3500 View Post
    genuine question to grats or whomever can answer it: why is w3schools hated so much?

I ask this question already knowing how many issues the website had in 2011-2013. I have been on w3fools and the last time that website specially supported their claim of w3schools being bad was back in May 1, 2013. Since then, w3fools have simply said a message with no evidence. So yes, w3schools had issues back then, but what makes it back now?

(honestly it just feels like a circle jerk now)
    When I google for something I know good and bad practices
    I click on a few links to see different ideas
    w3schools usually has a bad practice with a decent idea behind it that I can transform into something I'd use

a new person has no idea what they're looking at and learns bad practice.. I just keep them away from that, because w3schools is rather unfiltered
    vs lets say stackoverflow which is technically "unfiltered" when posting a "solution" however you'll have many people argue with them saying no do this instead or this or no that's bad.. and the author will usually edit to better methods. None of that exists on w3schools and it exists literally everywhere else.

other than that yes, they've re-written their entire site and their horrible javascript practices etc since 2013 and have gotten much better. But I don't send anyone to learn from something that isn't practicing the "latest and greatest" for web because it changes and by the time they're done, it's better to be merging into a new version than it is to be 2 versions or more behind.

the html -> html5 transition is very crazy and it'll probably slowdown a lot once browsers are done and standardize with the html5 etc.. back a year ago half of the stuff was -moz-something -webkit-something now it's just 'something' for every browser. it's weird how many insane steps they take for something you'd think they can flop out and be done.. but the w3 is slow as hell (actual w3 not schools) at approving stuff.. and w3schools is slow as hell in implementing changes when they happen or "was"

and that's just what I've seen and is trying to not be redundant on other rants about what's wrong with it.. there are plenty of sites that discuss the same stuff over & over

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    When I google for something I know good and bad practices
    I click on a few links to see different ideas
    w3schools usually has a bad practice with a decent idea behind it that I can transform into something I'd use

a new person has no idea what they're looking at and learns bad practice.. I just keep them away from that, because w3schools is rather unfiltered
    vs lets say stackoverflow which is technically "unfiltered" when posting a "solution" however you'll have many people argue with them saying no do this instead or this or no that's bad.. and the author will usually edit to better methods. None of that exists on w3schools and it exists literally everywhere else.

other than that yes, they've re-written their entire site and their horrible javascript practices etc since 2013 and have gotten much better. But I don't send anyone to learn from something that isn't practicing the "latest and greatest" for web because it changes and by the time they're done, it's better to be merging into a new version than it is to be 2 versions or more behind.

the html -> html5 transition is very crazy and it'll probably slowdown a lot once browsers are done and standardize with the html5 etc.. back a year ago half of the stuff was -moz-something -webkit-something now it's just 'something' for every browser. it's weird how many insane steps they take for something you'd think they can flop out and be done.. but the w3 is slow as hell (actual w3 not schools) at approving stuff.. and w3schools is slow as hell in implementing changes when they happen or "was"

and that's just what I've seen and is trying to not be redundant on other rants about what's wrong with it.. there are plenty of sites that discuss the same stuff over & over
    ahh well thanks for taking the time to write all of that. it was pretty informative and now I do have a much better understanding of the issues. and i hate using -moz-/-ms-/etc. seems so redundant and pointless.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x[Warrior]x3500 View Post
    ahh well thanks for taking the time to write all of that. it was pretty informative and now I do have a much better understanding of the issues. and i hate using -moz-/-ms-/etc. seems so redundant and pointless.
    Yea I agree
    I think that's their "temporary testing implementation" before it actually works.. but after it does work, they're taken out... (who knows what IE will do)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

No no no, for the love of god, do not ever refer to w3schools! MDN is most up to date source with great examples.

And to be on-topic, I would really recommend you to pick up Eloquent JavaScript book, it's really good for beginners and best of all, it's free!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MDN is the best resource for the most part. I also recommend taking a look at https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS. The resources are free; scroll down a bit and click the titles and it will take you to each section.
    Busy with real life. I'll still be around occasionally.
    Current Mood:

Thread Information