Thread: VPN Ethernet?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Default VPN Ethernet?

Ok, so my school has a online tv app, but you need to be connected via ethernet, I want to watch it at home.

Is there anyway to VPN into an ethernet connection, or a way to spoof a java applet in order to think your connection is via ethernet?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPHamlett View Post
    Ok, so my school has a online tv app, but you need to be connected via ethernet, I want to watch it at home.

Is there anyway to VPN into an ethernet connection, or a way to spoof a java applet in order to think your connection is via ethernet?

If it really is done in Java, then Override/Instrument http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs...terfaces%28%29

Any interface.getName() that .startsWith("wlan") or .startsWith("eth") is an ethernet connection and you need to override the method .isUp() to return true in such cases so that the application will believe that the ethernet connection "isUp", meaning that it's connected. Then return false for isUp() in all other case (because you cannot be connected to both wifi and ethernet but I doubt anyone really checks that).

Your school sure went through the extra work to determining wifi vs. ethernet which is dumb. Are you sure it's the applet that determines this? Look up "mapping eth to wifi". I'm not sure if a network bridge would work.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-11-2015 at 03:16 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Your school sure went through the extra work to determining wifi vs. ethernet which is dumb. Are you sure it's the applet that determines this? Look up "mapping eth to wifi". I'm not sure if a network bridge would work.
    Yeeaaah. I really more sounds like hes got the whole 'ethernet' and 'wifi' thing confused.

Perhaps the TV App just simply checks your ip address against a list of allowed ones? My university has access to many journal/etc websites and they only work on campus due to having an allowed ip (range).

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Yeeaaah. I really more sounds like hes got the whole 'ethernet' and 'wifi' thing confused.

Perhaps the TV App just simply checks your ip address against a list of allowed ones? My university has access to many journal/etc websites and they only work on campus due to having an allowed ip (range).
    ^ so much this! Would explain the behaviour.

When I was in school, they did the same thing + had a special certificate you had to accept/allow. All addresses had one range in one area and another in another area(lots of switches and hubs).
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-11-2015 at 05:36 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

That being said, is there any easy way to make my ip look like its coming from the U?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Remote login into your school account? or use your account in school as a VPN?

Thread Information