Thread: The NXT Client

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Default The NXT Client

NXT RELEASE: http://www.runescape.com/download

RS Developer Blog

As a legit player, I am beyond excited for this upgrade. As a botter and scripter, I am slightly concerned. I believe we should start planning for this soon because they intend to completely phase out the Java client.
    What graphics modes will they use for this? DirectX, or something custom? Will a SMARTv9 become necessary? SRL-7?

The New Game Client - how it all started, past, present and future...

It’s been a year and a half since the beta release of the HTML5 RuneScape 3 client. As we mentioned at RuneFest, we’ve since begun work on another brand new game client, and you may be wondering why we’re trying this again.

We knew from the start that the HTML5 client was experimental, and as we came to the optimisation phase it became clear that it wasn¹t going to be good enough, due to fundamental constraints with the platform (Javascript and the web browsers). In terms of performance, it would never be good enough to replace the Java client.

After much deliberation, we all agreed that the weaknesses of the HTML client couldn’t be worked around, and that the RuneScape community (and developers too) deserved something really awesome in its stead. This could only mean one thing: we decided to take everything we’d learned from our first attempt, and start afresh.

A unanimous decision was made to begin work on a brand-new, cross-platform, C++ RuneScape client. The back-end code (rendering, audio, networking, build systems, etc.) would be written from scratch, but for the client code itself we would port the HTML5 code base to C++. This way, we made the most of the work we’d already done, while focusing on fixing the bits that just didn’t work.

Now, you may wonder why we need to create a new client at all – why not just stick with the technology that’s served RuneScape so far?

Firstly, the Java language is no longer fit for purpose as a modern game client solution. Even major browsers are going to stop supporting it soon, starting with Chrome, and with Firefox following suit soon after.

Secondly - and most importantly - both Java and Javascript have no real scope for performance-critical software and graphics rendering. C++, on the other hand, gives us total control over performance and rendering. It means that we'll be able to provide even better visuals than you currently enjoy, with better performance to boot.

Sounds too good to be true? Actually it isn't, and our progress so far gives us confidence we can meet these goals. Adding to that, C++ is the best cross-platform language and gives us more scope for getting RS working on non-Windows platforms with the best possible performance (e.g. Linux, OSX, more web browsers), etc.

The bottom line... the existing client software doesn’t do justice to what RuneScape can be and has significant drawbacks which are getting worse over time. We have to adapt, and this is the best way forward!

Today, things are shaping up nicely. We're nearly finished implementing the core client features, with visuals and performance already better than the Java client. To whet your appetites, here's a brief summary of what the new client aims to deliver:

- Better performance over existing Java client
    - Better visual than HTML5 RS3 client
    - More platform and OS support (Windows XP/7/8, OSX, Linux, web browser)
    - Improved loading speed
    - Improved draw distances over Java
    - Improved graphics:
    -- Global illumination lighting (irradiance via spherical harmonics and ambient occlusion)
    -- Atmospheric light scattering
    -- Cascaded shadow maps (highly detailed sun shadows over larger distances)
    -- Improved post-processing
    -- Improved reflections
    -- Gamma correct and HDR rendering pipeline

The list goes on, but I'll save details for future blog posts that will aim to satisfy the more technical among you, and hopefully answer your questions.

We're going to make every effort possible to give you a better RS experience, without losing certain features of the Java client that some of you have grown to love. Ultimately, we have to do what’s best for RuneScape - all we ask is that you keep an open mind, and trust us. You won't be disappointed.

Mod Lordgit
    Lead Graphics Programmer
    Screenshots

More info:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Balance
    Should be ready in the second half of this year, but we won't release it until it's ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Pips
    No sorry, the new client is the game frontend and won't change the server or game logic.
    Last edited by Clarity; 04-18-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I always felt that RS has always been a browser based game But in recent years with them improving graphics and such I feel like they are pushing the limits of the browser and it is holding them back as they said..

So what does this mean for Simba and Powerbot and all the other Java bots? Isn't there some sort of reflection/injection alternative for c++? (league of legends has bot clients) It seems like with this new client, that not just anybody can create a bot client (not like just anybody could before, but lets be real there are tons of java bots out there)

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Comparing current graphics to NXT

I assume some features aren't in NXT yet, don't see as much bloom for instance (glowing red in Darkmeyer).
    I don't imagine we're in that bad of a position since we utilize color, not heavily relying on the Java-ness except for convenience purposes. If they remove OpenGL then I'll be sad and look into hooking whatever they use!
    Last edited by Clarity; 03-27-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

That's really all there is to say...

I wonder if they'll change how the tick system works O.o

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

For those wondering about an ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Balance
    Should be ready in the second half of this year, but we won't release it until it's ready
    Sounds like it should be ready mid 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Pips
    No sorry, the new client is the game frontend and won't change the server or game logic

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    That would radically change gameplay, client aside. I'd certainly support it though if they managed it! Combat has been suffering greatly in potential because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    For those wondering about an ETA:

Sounds like it should be ready mid 2016
    So if we assume this December/early 2017, I'd still love to get people's ideas on how to handle this. Anyone know C++ very well?
    Last edited by Clarity; 03-27-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

I'm pretty interested in seeing how this will change the botting industry. Of course some sites won't have to do much, given the way they work, but I imagine the update will break most of the bots in the industry, at least until they figure out what to do.

Either way, I'm excited.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I'm not excited because I don't care and I don't play any more but it'd at least be interested to watch all Java bots break.

A unanimous decision was made to begin work on a brand-new, cross-platform, C++ RuneScape client. The back-end code (rendering, audio, networking, build systems, etc.) would be written from scratch, but for the client code itself we would port the HTML5 code base to C++. This way, we made the most of the work we’d already done, while focusing on fixing the bits that just didn’t work.

When I said this over at powerbot, they told me, "No.. Jagex won't do that, it's too much work to rewrite the client from scratch.. Only an idiot would rewrite the entire client. Long live Java bots. Blah blah Java. Blah blah cross-platform. They won't get rid of the Java client entirely.."

Lol. Yet, here we are.. I look forward to all other bots using native code (Trilez did it once for RS3 Tribot, he'll have to do it again or update his code IF it's even broken at all)..

More bots will start using memory reading and injection or graphics interception or a combination of 1, 2, or all 3. C++ has no reflection. OSRS map walking already uses native memory reading. Other bots will simply start doing what's already done here and a few other sites OR give up all together.

As for getting around ASLR and native checks, I'm going to enjoy watching (if I'm still around by then).

See: (Chrome ditches NPAPI)

https://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation
    http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/say...end-npapi.html
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/261...-concerns.html
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-28-2015 at 01:31 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

This will be fun.

Gold prices are going to sky rocket
    Formerly known as Undorak7

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Gross. i like the game how it is. crappy graphics and all.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

change is scary

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

*shrug*

Bottom line, what could this really break? Looks like the most it could do is kill SMART and SRL for a bit.

No idea how we'd fix SMART, but I think it's safe to assume we'd fix SRL like we always have
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    *shrug*

Bottom line, what could this really break? Looks like the most it could do is kill SMART and SRL for a bit.

No idea how we'd fix SMART, but I think it's safe to assume we'd fix SRL like we always have
    When I asked core on IRC
    20:36 <+GabeN> color bots will still work, we can still hook in to the C++ client for control
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

I wonder if Appa would still work, if so then we're good to go. Also I wonder if they'll be deciding the same thing for the Oldschool client, as the purpose of it is, in a nutshell, a graphics update and OSRS will retain the oldder-style of graphics.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I wonder if Appa would still work, if so then we're good to go. Also I wonder if they'll be deciding the same thing for the Oldschool client, as the purpose of it is, in a nutshell, a graphics update and OSRS will retain the oldder-style of graphics.

Nah. One of the mods said that old school attracts a certain audience that probably won't welcome such a change.. At least not right now.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

It will use OGL/webGL. :-).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I'm not excited because I don't care and I don't play any more but it'd at least be interested to watch all Java bots break.

When I said this over at powerbot, they told me, "No.. Jagex won't do that, it's too much work to rewrite the client from scratch.. Only an idiot would rewrite the entire client. Long live Java bots. Blah blah Java. Blah blah cross-platform. They won't get rid of the Java client entirely.."

Lol. Yet, here we are.. I look forward to all other bots using native code (Trilez did it once for RS3 Tribot, he'll have to do it again or update his code IF it's even broken at all)..

More bots will start using memory reading and injection or graphics interception or a combination of 1, 2, or all 3. C++ has no reflection. OSRS map walking already uses native memory reading. Other bots will simply start doing what's already done here and a few other sites OR give up all together.

As for getting around ASLR and native checks, I'm going to enjoy watching (if I'm still around by then).

Lol you should find that post and gravedig it

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Quite sure that Trilez's RS3 client uses reflection as well as opengl
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Isn't there a c++ reflection proposal with the open standard?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Does this mean they are ditching the browser entirely? Is it possible to run a C++ application in a browser, like they do now with Java?

Also: if the include breaks, we can't skip SRL-6.9 let's do that before SRL-7
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    Lol you should find that post and gravedig it
    Lol. They don't care though and neither do I. No one should care until it actually comes out. Otherwise there's going to be a storm of "is it possible.." questions & discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    Isn't there a c++ reflection proposal with the open standard?
    Yeah but I HIGHLY DOUBT Jagex will use reflection in C++ (purposely introducing bots). They'd also have to wait until that new standard is made official (it is official [subject to change] but not going to be implemented until C++17/C++1z).
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-31-2015 at 12:44 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

I'm quite interested in how will this affect the average online player number.
    Everything is achievable!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    It will use OGL/webGL. :-).
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Does this mean they are ditching the browser entirely? Is it possible to run a C++ application in a browser, like they do now with Java?
    webGL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

So are we saying it'd just be a case of updating colors and playing in-browser/official RS client? Obviously some functions will be lost but in essence color bots should be okay?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Balance Bro View Post
    So are we saying it'd just be a case of updating colors and playing in-browser/official RS client? Obviously some functions will be lost but in essence color bots should be okay?
    Color bots will always be okay. So long as the game has color, colors bots will work.

The issue with be if/when SMART breaks, and how much of SRL-6 is rendered unusable by the transition to the NXT client.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information