Thread: Aspiring OS Toolkit Creator - Dedicated Thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Post Aspiring OS Toolkit Creator - Dedicated Thread

Hello Villavu,

I am an aspiring OS toolkit creator. For those of you who do not know what a Runescape toolkit is Google "OSBuddy". I metaphorically stand here today with very little to show but a dream and the determination for it. Some of you may call me crazy and question my likelihood to success but to those out there who have also had a dream, I beg of you... To help a man with nothing to lose but everything to gain.

My end goal is to have created an Old School Toolkit with an abundance of useful and never before seen features called "(to be disclosed)". It will also sport a dedicated site as well as it's own personalised forums. I have recruited my brother to help me accomplish this extraordinary task and am, at this time not 100% sure whether I will team up with other like minded and keen programmers. This will be subject to future discussion.

The reason I have come to Villavu is because I personally believe you are one of the most complete communities and are therefore by far the best place to call home for my development of this project.

THINGS I HAVE

- Basic knowledge of the Java language
    - An IDE Editor called Netbeans
    - The Perseverance to fulfil this task

THINGS I AM IN NEED OF

- A reference of books/websites/other that you recommend to learn Java
    - The basic key Java points that I need to know
    - Other projects that are along the lines of this to view and learn from
    - All languages that I should or need to learn
    - Features that you would like to have
    - Anything YOU believe that would benefit me

I appreciate absolutely everything you guys have to say whether it be small or a novels worth! Remember, it takes all sorts of Lego pieces to build a helicopter.

TLDR: FR33 T00lK1T V!P 4 4LL H3LPz
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-11-2015 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'm interested in what type of tools you have planned for this client! Are you looking to make a 'legal' client(Similar to OSBuddy which is already pushing the limits) or are you planning to add in features that a bot would be more likely to utilize(Such as a walker)?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

I have discovered an online java book directory(Ebooks-IT.org) that provides free downloads of what looks to be, millions of books and as of current, I have found a few very prestigious educational books on java that I have downloaded and will begin reading at haste. If you guys have any books that you recommend for me to read, please do not hesitate to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Falorion View Post
    I'm interested in what type of tools you have planned for this client! Are you looking to make a 'legal' client(Similar to OSBuddy which is already pushing the limits) or are you planning to add in features that a bot would be more likely to utilize(Such as a walker)?
    The toolkit will be 100% legal thus allowing every player to take advantage of its benefits.

I have huge features planned that will completely revolutionize the client world! But that's all hush hush at said time.
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-09-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Do you have a roommate, which is a Jagex mod?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MariusK View Post
    Do you have a roommate, which is a Jagex mod?
    Mmmh, not since I last checked... How come?
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-10-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

First Java book reading is finally underway! I chose Head First Java(2nd Edition) because of the huge recommendations behind it... Also only a shy 675 pages.
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-10-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Why do you want to make such a toolkit when we have Simba here?
    Everything is achievable!

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Cool that you've decided to create a full out development blog, including the learning process. Best of luck with the project! I have no knowledge on this sort of development so I'm interested in what you discover.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Cool that you've decided to create a full out development blog, including the learning process. Best of luck with the project! I have no knowledge on this sort of development so I'm interested in what you discover.
    It's essentially the same as any other java bot client that uses injection/reflection.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loginor View Post
    Why do you want to make such a toolkit when we have Simba here?
    I thrive for self accomplishment, the achievement that I have created my own and made it great. The fact that I started from nothing and manage to market a successful product that thousands of players use. In the long scope I am not just creating a toolkit and saying "download" on a bunch of random forums... I am founding a business empire.
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indirectMW View Post
    I thrive for self accomplishment, the achievement that I have created my own and made it great. The fact that I started from nothing and manage to market a successful product that thousands of players use. In the long scope I am not just creating a toolkit and saying "download" on a bunch of random forums... I am founding a business empire.
    "Self accomplishment", "Achievement" and "business empire" ... Good luck with all of this.
    Everything is achievable!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loginor View Post
    "Self accomplishment", "Achievement" and "business empire" ... Good luck with all of this.
    I appreciate it!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

I appreciate it!
    What do you mean by "business empire"?

OT: Look at LemonRS on git, it should get you to a good start after you finish learning java.
    (Just remember if you use any code from it give credit and release open source!)
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post

OT: Look at LemonRS on git, it should get you to a good start after you finish learning java.
    (Just remember if you use any code from it give credit and release open source!)
    I was exaggerating the fact of not being just a small side run project.
    Thanks a heap man, I'll make sure to check it out!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post

Oi. Don't just give him the keys to the castle. He needs to learn things before he smashes that source into his program.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tls View Post
    Oi. Don't just give him the keys to the castle. He needs to learn things before he smashes that source into his program.
    Don't worry tls, I am very much against using someone else's work. The only reason I have asked for other sources is so that I may pick them apart and learn but never use.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Don't worry tls, I am very much against using someone else's work. The only reason I have asked for other sources is so that I may pick them apart and learn but never use.
    That program was very overkill. It can be done much simpler/cleaner...that was half the reason why we stopped dev'ing it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

That program was very overkill. It can be done much simpler/cleaner...that was half the reason why we stopped dev'ing it.
    Ahh okay, I'll keep that in mind for my time. BTW... Was the only plugin you designed, the "Highscore" one?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

- Features that you would like to have
    ^^Edited the main post^^

I more than welcome any feature/plugin suggestions you guys have! Get those brains workings!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Don't you want to get a good understanding of Java before trying this lol?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    Don't you want to get a good understanding of Java before trying this lol?
    Oh yes indeed, I haven't started the creation of my project yet apart from listing the features I'll implement, creating a draft website and some other few things.

Currently I'm reading Head First Java still and once finished I will move onto another book and so on, till I feel I have a deep grasp and understanding of the language.

If I create half the project and than find out there is a better and more efficient way, I will start again as I only want the best. I won't view it as a loss or failure but a learning process that has improved my end result.
    Last edited by srlMW; 04-14-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Someone needs to create a RS3 toolkit. I wonder why it hasn't been done yet.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmoke View Post
    Someone needs to create a RS3 toolkit. I wonder why it hasn't been done yet.
    Legal reasons(encrypted client).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Legal reasons(encrypted client).
    Is the Old School Runescape client not encrypted then? Because OSBuddy exists.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmoke View Post
    Is the Old School Runescape client not encrypted then? Because OSBuddy exists.
    That is correct. RS3's loader downloads an encrypted gamepack and decrypts it with keys grabbed from parameters(jav_config). Pretty much any attempt at replicating this process would require you to reverse engineer it, which is illegal(US law), because they use a protected algorithm. You could argue there are ways around it(grab the gamepack's classes after loader decrypts it), but they are all legally gray areas.

Thread Information