Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baltimore, Maryland riots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    cause it's not only a black thing lawl Stanley cup Riot
    im talking about this specific scenario how it just enforces the stereotypes that thousands of people have worldwide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quW7...ature=youtu.be What does trying to light an innocent pizza store owner on fire have to do with anything related to the injustices that occurred in Maryland? What you don't seem to understand is I'm not saying that what happened is acceptable, I'm saying that the way the people are reacting is terrible. As for the stanley cup riot, I live in vancouver and I witnessed the riot and it was terrible, the way people acted was ridiculous and there are hundreds of people that were convicted for their crimes. That's the difference here, I don't think anyone rioting in Maryland is going to be convicted, and the riot actually gave a terrible picture of our city to the world for a decent amount of time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knotted fear View Post
    im talking about this specific scenario how it just enforces the stereotypes that thousands of people have worldwide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quW7...ature=youtu.be What does trying to light an innocent pizza store owner on fire have to do with anything related to the injustices that occurred in Maryland? What you don't seem to understand is I'm not saying that what happened is acceptable, I'm saying that the way the people are reacting is terrible. As for the stanley cup riot, I live in vancouver and I witnessed the riot and it was terrible, the way people acted was ridiculous and there are hundreds of people that were convicted for their crimes. That's the difference here, I don't think anyone rioting in Maryland is going to be convicted, and the riot actually gave a terrible picture of our city to the world for a decent amount of time
    It's because of the multitude of stereotypes, among other factors, that this situation comes to be in the first place. Black people don't act this way because that's the way they are (what stereotypes portray), they act this way because the stereotypes force them to. With years upon years of disparagement.
    Think of everyone as rats in a cage. Treat group A rats well, and treat group B rats poorly. How are they going to behave differently after generations of living side by side, yet receiving different treatments.
    That's why giving any kind of validity to stereotypes is so harmful and reckless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastler View Post
    It's because of the multitude of stereotypes, among other factors, that this situation comes to be in the first place. Black people don't act this way because that's the way they are (what stereotypes portray), they act this way because the stereotypes force them to. With years upon years of disparagement.
    Think of everyone as rats in a cage. Treat group A rats well, and treat group B rats poorly. How are they going to behave differently after generations of living side by side, yet receiving different treatments.
    That's why giving any kind of validity to stereotypes is so harmful and reckless.
    That's why theres thousands of protesters that are fine and don't steal and commit more crimes on top of crimes that are already being committed. How does committing a crime after a crime has been committed contribute to society in any positive way? If there are hundreds of people that can protest peacefully, and then hundreds that can't, there is no way for you to say that they're doing this because of forced stereotypes that have been placed on them. They're doing this to take advantage of a situation, and they're enforcing the stereotypes ON THEIR OWN. No one is forcing them to loot, damage, and actually assault innocent people for something they had no control or any involvement in. It's as simple as that, there is no justification for what they are doing in this situation, just like there was no justification for what people did during the stanley cup riots. I'm not saying this is bad because they're black, i'm saying it's bad because of what they're doing. That's what I'm trying to say.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

That's why theres thousands of protesters that are fine and don't steal and commit more crimes on top of crimes that are already being committed. How does committing a crime after a crime has been committed contribute to society in any positive way? If there are hundreds of people that can protest peacefully, and then hundreds that can't, there is no way for you to say that they're doing this because of forced stereotypes that have been placed on them. They're doing this to take advantage of a situation, and they're enforcing the stereotypes ON THEIR OWN. No one is forcing them to loot, damage, and actually assault innocent people for something they had no control or any involvement in. It's as simple as that, there is no justification for what they are doing in this situation, just like there was no justification for what people did during the stanley cup riots. I'm not saying this is bad because they're black, i'm saying it's bad because of what they're doing. That's what I'm trying to say.
    Then why even mention skin color?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tls View Post
    Then why even mention skin color?
    How do you not understand my point? In this situation, it is stereotypes that have been created in society concerning people of AFRICAN AMERICAN DESCENT. That is why I mentioned colour. If you go back to the first post I made, I stated that the way they are acting just solidifies any stereotypes people may have created or have established through society. I'm not saying the stereotypes are true, or that they are valid; I'm saying that when people take advantage of a situation like this to act the way that they are acting, it doesn't help them in any way. In fact, it just makes them seem worse in public opinion. Stop thinking that i'm attacking black people, you don't need to get upset that I mentioned colour. There is no denial that the way they are acting just makes the stereotypes worse, if you deny that then you're the ignorant one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

i'm not sure how stating that when people take advantage of a situation for no reason other than personal gain, especially when the situation at hand is more based on justice and "the right thing", is ignorance? Tell me please...
    what you said here is perfectly true.

It's just that black people are not even close to the only ones who do this at times. There was tons of this in almost every rebellion that's happened in history so far, including the french which I am sure had white people in it as well as the american revolution. In more recent times, Egypt (actually pre-dominantly 'white'-ish) had tons of this and I distinctly remember seeing an article about people in Brazil actually dismembering a goalie because they rioted over a call he made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    what you said here is perfectly true.

It's just that black people are not even close to the only ones who do this at times. There was tons of this in almost every rebellion that's happened in history so far, including the french which I am sure had white people in it as well as the american revolution. In more recent times, Egypt (actually pre-dominantly 'white'-ish) had tons of this and I distinctly remember seeing an article about people in Brazil actually dismembering a goalie because they rioted over a call he made.
    The difference is that black people face a lot more challenges in society than those people do because of discrimination and the overall indecency of the generally uneducated population. If you take a group of people who are faced with a numerous amount of negative stereotypes, and then that group of people validates all the stereotypes people place upon them in a situation like this, it makes said group of people seem much worse than they really are. The stereotypes aren't true in day to day life, however in this scenario they are true because of how the people act, and that is what i'm saying aggravates people. They are capable of rioting and protesting without harming innocent people or stealing, as is EVERYONE that riots, but it is because of the fact that they are black that the situation is worse in regards to stereotypes, because people can easily use them as a scapegoat. If they want to move away from said stereotypes, then acting in ways similar to that of the maryland riots is not the way. Obviously people need to become educated and understand that these stereotypes are not true, but that's not going to happen, clearly. So if you want things to change, you need to make that change on your own. A perfect example is the mother who saw her son protesting and rioting/looting on TV and she decided to go down to where he was and she slapped him and dragged him home. That's a perfect example of a way to combat the stereotypes. Don't validate them, invalidate them. That's my point. I'm not racist, I think black people are 100% equal and should be treated 100% as equal as everyone in the world. I'm not even white, i'm indian, and I don't think it's fair the way they are treated at all. But the situation is not helping one bit.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

Rioters no longer gonna riot... came here expecting to hear about the latest Footlocker raid and was met with vehicle expiration dates and 10-codes
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

We are basically saying the same thing, but my point is that the looting is a result of impoverished people taking advantage of chaos, and that turns into mob-mentality coaxing further people to loot. Perhaps looting might not happen if socioeconomic standards where higher. But property damage would still occur due to outraged mobs.

Larger point is, these kinds of things have been going on a long time now. Thanks to all the riots, there is news coverage and intelligent people push past the drama and debate the important issues behind it all.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

The officers (allegedly) responsible for for Freddie's death are being charged: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us...osecutors.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

The officers (allegedly) responsible for for Freddie's death are being charged: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us...osecutors.html
    Was just about to link this, the death was established as a murder and the cops involved are going to be charged accordingly. At least there is a sliver of justice that will come out of this terrible situation.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Was just about to link this, the death was established as a murder and the cops involved are going to be charged accordingly. At least there is a sliver of justice that will come out of this terrible situation.
    Established as a homicide. One of the officers was charged with murder.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

If it weren't for the massive coverage this likely wouldn't have even happened.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Alternative note that a friend in university has pointed out:

Related articles:

10,000 Strong Peacefully Protest In Downtown Baltimore, Media Only Reports The Violence & Arrest of Dozens

11 Stunning Images Highlight the Double Standard of Reactions to Riots Like Baltimore

Interesting that I never heard of the peaceful aspect until now. It's important to know all the facts I suppose before jumping to conclusions.
    I agree with you 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I'm actually from Baltimore county (born and raised) and honestly they're just playing mirror games. Doing what other cities did to make a statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I Live in St. Louis, Mo. (ferguson is like a suburb, except hood) there is a reason for all the riots. I moved here from Detroit and immediatley noticed the difference in racial tension. there is a severe problem with systematic racism in many parts of the U.S. i agree with them completely.

"If you are silent about your pain they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it"
    -Zora Neal Hurston

Im Back... Previously known as Megaleech
    [Herbalife]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megaleech View Post
    I Live in St. Louis, Mo. (ferguson is like a suburb, except hood) there is a reason for all the riots. I moved here from Detroit and immediatley noticed the difference in racial tension. there is a severe problem with systematic racism in many parts of the U.S. i agree with them completely.

"If you are silent about your pain they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it"
    -Zora Neal Hurston
    Who do you agree with?

The Freddie Grey case has legitimate reasoning behind it, the Micheal Brown case does not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I Agree with the protestors.

you can look at each incident separately and pick them apart, but each one is an indicator of a larger trend. a trend of systematic racism and also a trend of unwarranted police aggression across the U.S. regardless of race. people who are poorly trained and unrepresentative of the communities they "Protect" act as though they should be treated almost as gods. This is not every officer of the law, there are truly good people who are officers, but there is an alarming number of officers who abuse their power and pass judgment with an extreme bias.

Im Back... Previously known as Megaleech
    [Herbalife]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megaleech View Post
    I Agree with the protestors.

you can look at each incident separately and pick them apart, but each one is an indicator of a larger trend. a trend of systematic racism and also a trend of unwarranted police aggression across the U.S. regardless of race. people who are poorly trained and unrepresentative of the communities they "Protect" act as though they should be treated almost as gods. This is not every officer of the law, there are truly good people who are officers, but there is an alarming number of officers who abuse their power and pass judgment with an extreme bias.
    I agree with the protesters of the Micheal garner/Freddy grey but not the protesters of the Micheal Brown case. Why? Because the whole slogan behind the Micheal Brown case was "hands up don't shoot"/"don't shoot people in the running in the back" when neither of those things happened (and credible witness's stories are consistent with the officers and physical evidence). Plus the whole Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson (who are pretty racist themselves) circus jumps on the train to stir up the racial tension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information