Thread: Jagex internal Email regarding botting in Runescape.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Default Jagex internal Email regarding botting in Runescape.

Someone, supposedly an insider, posted a report on botting. Regardless of its legitimacy I thought it was fun to read. Thought some of you might enjoy it as well. Cheers.

Image:
    http://i.imgur.com/6ga8AkX.png

Reddit thread:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/co...ng_exp_gp_and/

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reddit
    It's like a 7 year old dropped all of this into paint and went to town on it.
    My thoughts, looks like this was typed in an old version of Microsoft Office. I question its legitimacy of course. Spelling errors and bad grammar abound.

Granted it is an internal email, so that may be normal, but it probably won't tell us anything we don't already know.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

imo it's legit, was a nice read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    My thoughts, looks like this was typed in an old version of Microsoft Office. I question its legitimacy of course. Spelling errors and bad grammar abound.

Granted it is an internal email, so that may be normal, but it probably won't tell us anything we don't already know.
    It does make me wonder how other bot (like rsbuddy, pb, epicbot) were able to get back up after the cluster flutterer. According to the article, it creates new client for different geographic locations. Maybe that's why some European people were complaining rsbot was not working 2 days ago on pb.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unfold View Post
    It does make me wonder how other bot (like rsbuddy, pb, epicbot) were able to get back up after the cluster flutterer. According to the article, it creates new client for different geographic locations. Maybe that's why some European people were complaining rsbot was not working 2 days ago on pb.
    It took around a month for Java bots to recover. RSBuddy had a functional client loading very few hooks in a week.

powerbot occasionally has locational issues related to their server and CDN. I don't think Jagex uses locational data to any great effect, certainly not to provide a separate client to each area of the world which is complete bs imo, it doesn't even make sense.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't provide details on their "traps" but it provided some continuity to the development of RS for the past 4 years as I've been away for just as long.

It was surprising to me how small the color bot community was even in 07. I thought we were the bees knees.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anoobis View Post
    It was surprising to me how small the color bot community was even in 07. I thought we were the bees knees.
    To this point, I will respond with a quote from a previous post of mine:

As @samerdl; said, Simba has been and always will be a fallback, the thing everyone uses when nothing else is working. Granted, Simba has a reflection library for OSRS but the very nature of Simba and the SRL community pretty much renders that point moot.

Why? Because Simba, staying true to SCAR's age-old legacy, is not a bot. I want to call it a CDE (cheat development environment) but it's not even that. It's a program that happens to be very good at playing RuneScape (with the aid of SRL/SRL-OSR). Also by definition, it's nowhere near as user-friendly as other macros. The reason Simba has always been somewhat shunted to the side is just what I outlined earlier; it's a fallback.

I'm not even trying to be rude, I myself only discovered Simba after the bot nuke two years ago. I hadn't a clue that any color-based scriptable macros beyond SCAR ever existed. Why? Because I was sucked in by the bigger names in RuneScape cheating at that time: NeXus, RSBuddy, EpicBot, powerbot.

Don't get me wrong, I think Simba is the best macro out there, but it's just plain confusing. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that point, at least not from the average RS player/botter's point of view (and we all know how stupid they can be).

Once upon a time, every RS cheater was smart and individualized and determined and willing to learn--but that's simply not the case anymore. And that's why Simba will always remain in the backseat.

Which isn't all bad! We have a great (albeit close-knit) community here. We can accomplish the same tasks in manners that other cheating communities cannot.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

It looks like it was written as a hoax by a 12 year old, and the information contained is outdated and just plain incorrect. Page 4 for example says that colour botting is rudimentary and ineffective, but there's no wag Jagex actually believes that. That's the kind of thing your average "botter" would think, not Jagex.

I call fake, even if it is legit, it's full of crap.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

"Only 2015 members were banned in 2011"
    http://www.pcgamer.com/runescape-bot...ts-in-one-day/

Which clearly means :

10% * 1,500,000 < 2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Inproper gramar seems like it, maybe just troll?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AustinChurch View Post
    Inproper gramar seems like it, maybe just troll?
    Yeah, sort of like you. Stop spamming.

E: To the poor, confused soul who derepped me for this post, I'd advise you to do your research before assuming that I'm attacking a user for no reason:

His introduction thread was fine, but then he proceeded to gravedig several more threads in quick succession, with posts containing similar content.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 05-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Thank you, Mod Reach, for the e-mail we are about to receive.

My favourite part is where they said their bot nuke would wipe out 98% of bots, and "screen scraping bots" are the least effective, making up only 2%. :^)
    "Randoms break the bot" Not anymore.
    "Relocation of objects unintelligible to the human eye." Wouldn't finding the object on the screen work in the same way?

And I guess it can be said that they DO ban IP's, but only for goldfarming and powerlevellers.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Why wouldn't you ban IPs if your goal was to eradicate a bunch of known (almost 100%) goldfarming bots (who probably won't 'quit' the game per se if you ban them) originating from a known IP? Seems like a no-brainer

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    "Relocation of objects unintelligible to the human eye." Wouldn't finding the object on the screen work in the same way?
    By this they likely mean 1px movements or adjustments of item outlines or 3d objects within the game. They apparently assumed that doing so would break our scripts, but our scripts would have to be pretty terrible to suddenly stop working if items were moving around on the screen.

I think they assume the color bots are autoclick x y or if getColor(x, y) = someColor.

Their entire explanation of color bots in the earlier section (3 classes of bots) shows how little they actually understood in 2011. I wonder if they still think we are that simplistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Without proper verification (which we'd never get) i'm going to chalk this up as fake.

Thread Information