Thread: Guy unknowingly spends $800 on 8 years of unused RS membership

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Default Guy unknowingly spends $800 on 8 years of unused RS membership

Was browsing r/tifu and saw this. Sucks for the dude, but he should have kept better track of his finances.

If he had reviewed his bank statements regularly, he would have seen "Jagex Ltd." turning up multiple times and gotten suspicious.

Discuss: anyone ever left a recurring subscription alone and wasted money on it? What would be your advice for this guy (or this guy's bank -- shouldn't they have done something? Aren't there preventative measures in place for this sort of stuff?)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfin...for_runescape/ (turns out it was r/personalfinance, not r/tifu)
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 06-14-2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Removed profanity from image, added source
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure if you dispute the membership, you instantly get the money back and your rs account becomes negative Jcoin credits. He could do that.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I was at a baseball game and a newspaper company of some sort was handing out blankets themed for the home team. You had to pay $10 and subscribe the their newspaper you get the first month free and in exchange you get the blanket. So my cousin pays the $10 (while being pretty confident she won't forget to cancel the subscription in a month) and my uncle (her dad) is calling it "shes gonna forget about that subscription" and is going to be charged. I don't imagine she is going to be reminded after 1 month that the free month is over.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    I don't imagine she is going to be reminded after 1 month that the free month is over.

Absolutely not. That's how the money is made -- recurring payments are a convenience or a scam, depending on the intentions of the vendor.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

lol tifu for the past 8 years. this guy should start his own subreddit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Is there really no period where you have to manually refresh the agreement? I'd imagine every year or two (possibly 3) they should send you a notice or something, if not then that certainly should be made the law. Aren't contracts in general (taking sports, cable/phone, leases etc... as examples) always for a specified amount of time (pretty sure it's illegal for the time to be forever)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    Is there really no period where you have to manually refresh the agreement? I'd imagine every year or two (possibly 3) they should send you a notice or something, if not then that certainly should be made the law. Aren't contracts in general (taking sports, cable/phone, leases etc... as examples) always for a specified amount of time (pretty sure it's illegal for the time to be forever)?
    yeah under Jagex's TOS, you can get a refund if you never logged on your account during the period of the membership.

Thread Information