Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Laptop

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    Honestly, after all the good things you normally contribute around here I'm pretty disappointed to hear you rag on a new member like this. It's out of character and reflects extremely poorly on someone who can normally be counted on for quality, helpful input.
    You're right. I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me. This has happened before, and was the reason I was not allowed to be a part of the community for a long time.

I'm disappointed in myself at this regression.

One dickish post leads to another (and another, ad infinitum) and I have a hard time stopping because I feel like it's "bad" or "weak" to go back on something I've already said, even if I know it's wrong.

This post takes an incredible amount of effort to write. I wanted to pick apart your post and present my counter-arguments. I wanted to ignore the part about me and subsequently stop replying at all. But I won't.

You're wrong on one count though -- this isn't out of character for me, at all. My history at SRL has been checkered at best, and I try my hardest but sometimes I get the best of myself.

I apologize for how I was acting, both to you and to @Akantor;. I'm sorry.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Whats with all the hate on gaming laptops? The problem with suggesting a desktop for gaming and a laptop for school work assumes that you are always gaming in the same place.. and OP did say he was going to college so maybe he wants to game some when hes at home and some when hes out of town at school (if that's what hes doing IDK)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    Whats with all the hate on gaming laptops? The problem with suggesting a desktop for gaming and a laptop for school work assumes that you are always gaming in the same place.. and OP did say he was going to college so maybe he wants to game some when hes at home and some when hes out of town at school (if that's what hes doing IDK)
    I would say that, realistically, the majority of people who purchase Alienware or other gaming laptops don't generally purchase them because they've made a well informed decision to do so, knowing full well that you get better price to performance (and performance in general) out of a self built desktop. That's not to say they don't have their place (you gave pretty much the best example of when one would be good); just that many people think they're the best choice for small form factor gaming systems or something similar. Same thing for prebuilts; they have their place, but many people buy them because they don't know you can build your own or because they're too scared to build their own rather than for a good reason.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

I bought a gaming laptop, mostly for the portability. I didn't have space nor the desire to get a desktop as why would I do that when all of my needs will be satisfied by a laptop that I can trust will last me probably at least 5 years without being a brick like the $300 dell I had freshman year that could barely watch a Youtube video with my LoL window open while running a python program that only ran a 2D FFT on a 256x256 image. BTW, the ASUS laptop is pretty good, some of my friends have it and I can't say they are disappointed.

Perhaps later on if I decide to take on something more graphically intensive than the current two craziest req games (RS and LoL of course) I may consider a desktop.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adc View Post
    Yes, they are. Apple and Android have slightly different UIs, but for the most part they function the same way. You install applications largely the same way, the settings pages are mostly the same, and just the general UI works the same. I don't own an iPhone and I haven't had an Apple device in 5+ years, but I have no question that if I picked up an Apple device today I'd be able to do 99.9% of the things I needed to do on it simply because it's very similar to Android.

Linux, on the other hand, is way different than Windows (and Mac different from both) in the way it handles things in general. The last time I had to use the command line for anything in Windows that wasn't school related was probably over six months ago to use the ipconfig command. I took a course on Linux (which is obviously going to be more technical than average use, but still; none of my Windows courses have featured anything more than a few command line sections ever) and we used the command line for just about everything. Linux is far more technical than Windows, and while the average user probably could learn it, there's no real advantage over it compared to Windows. Linux is very enthusiast targeted OS, and there's definitely nothing wrong with it, but the average user should not be getting it in my opinion.
    Yes. Identical to nearly all user friendly gnu/linux distros

thus, no they are not. My point entirely, you can pick them up and go.
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

I have Asus N550jk. Costed 850€, Cant compare i7 4720hq to 4790k. But still very good for all games. Can play gta5 high settings without lagg. Asus are always good choise since they unkillable, they never overheat, atleast for me. As of botting i can run 7 simba windows on it,but thats depends on script. Im sure spider eggs would be around 12-14 windows for example.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I would say that, realistically, the majority of people who purchase Alienware or other gaming laptops don't generally purchase them because they've made a well informed decision to do so, knowing full well that you get better price to performance (and performance in general) out of a self built desktop. That's not to say they don't have their place (you gave pretty much the best example of when one would be good); just that many people think they're the best choice for small form factor gaming systems or something similar. Same thing for prebuilts; they have their place, but many people buy them because they don't know you can build your own or because they're too scared to build their own rather than for a good reason.
    Well of course not aleinware, but I got a fairly decent 'gaming laptop' for like $950

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I have an elitebook 820, which is great for work as it has a 12.5" screen and is pretty light. It's good for throwing in your backpack and also taking traveling.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    Yes. Identical to nearly all user friendly gnu/linux distros

thus, no they are not. My point entirely, you can pick them up and go.
    I used Ubuntu for my course in college. That, as far as I know, is one of the more popular flavors (though I don't follow Linux too closely, so no idea how that compares in usability) and there was more terminal use in setting that up than there is in a typical year using Windows. Even if (and I would honestly be surprised) a Linux distro existed that was almost exactly the same as Windows in terms of use, you still need the technical know-how to hunt it down and use it.

I think you vastly overestimate the knowledge the average user has to do with their computer because you can't imagine not knowing certain things; for someone who thinks that the internet is your browser or only uses the computer to Facebook and check gmail, the knowledge that allows you to know whether a particular Linux distro is right for them is just not there. You might be able to pick an easy to use distro out of the hundreds or thousands out there, but the average person won't have any idea what any of it means.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I used Ubuntu for my course in college. That, as far as I know, is one of the more popular flavors (though I don't follow Linux too closely, so no idea how that compares in usability) and there was more terminal use in setting that up than there is in a typical year using Windows. Even if (and I would honestly be surprised) a Linux distro existed that was almost exactly the same as Windows in terms of use, you still need the technical know-how to hunt it down and use it.

I think you vastly overestimate the knowledge the average user has to do with their computer because you can't imagine not knowing certain things; for someone who thinks that the internet is your browser or only uses the computer to Facebook and check gmail, the knowledge that allows you to know whether a particular Linux distro is right for them is just not there. You might be able to pick an easy to use distro out of the hundreds or thousands out there, but the average person won't have any idea what any of it means.
    Which is why it's easy for them to learn, because all they do is browse the internet
    I deal with this in the thousands of persons, it's clear you've never dealt with it
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

I've seen people who only browse the internet struggle to adapt to Windows 7 from XP, but ok.

Would still love to see examples of anything you've brought up.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I've seen people who only browse the internet struggle to adapt to Windows 7 from XP, but ok.

Would still love to see examples of anything you've brought up.
    A: My mom. She's pretty much a computer. You tell her what to do, and she can do it. Without telling her, she can do nothing. She needs 100% perfect instructions. It's like writing assembler trying to instruct her.

As the guy who only ever uses laptops (haven't owned a desktop since 1998), you can get through CS with a 300$ laptop. I bought some cheap HP compaq and it worked fine for school. Although, it was heavy as hell.

I have 3 laptops: Asus S56CM (hackintosh), Macbook Pro 2015 (maxed out), HP Compaq (forgot the model). I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.

As for Linux being easier than Windows, I agree to some extent. For CS and computer programming stuff, it's a ton better. For everyday school use, I would argue otherwise. CAD, Pro-Engineering WildFire, 3DS max, etc.. all designed for Windows. A lot of schools automatically use Windows. You log in with your student ID on Windows, etc.. That's the only reason.

But if you ever tried Linux Mint, it's just as easy to use as Windows (if not easier).

----

I think you're underestimating the knowledge of the average user. Give them time and force them to use a certain device a certain way, they will learn it without a doubt. We went from Nokia's to Palm Pilots to iPhones and Androids.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.
    And that is where I went wrong, thinking Parallel or Bootcamp would do the job but honestly it doesn't... It's super annoying.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    A: My mom. She's pretty much a computer. You tell her what to do, and she can do it. Without telling her, she can do nothing. She needs 100% perfect instructions. It's like writing assembler trying to instruct her.

As the guy who only ever uses laptops (haven't owned a desktop since 1998), you can get through CS with a 300$ laptop. I bought some cheap HP compaq and it worked fine for school. Although, it was heavy as hell.

I have 3 laptops: Asus S56CM (hackintosh), Macbook Pro 2015 (maxed out), HP Compaq (forgot the model). I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro for CS at all.

As for Linux being easier than Windows, I agree to some extent. For CS and computer programming stuff, it's a ton better. For everyday school use, I would argue otherwise. CAD, Pro-Engineering WildFire, 3DS max, etc.. all designed for Windows. A lot of schools automatically use Windows. You log in with your student ID on Windows, etc.. That's the only reason.

But if you ever tried Linux Mint, it's just as easy to use as Windows (if not easier).

----

I think you're underestimating the knowledge of the average user. Give them time and force them to use a certain device a certain way, they will learn it without a doubt. We went from Nokia's to Palm Pilots to iPhones and Androids.
    It's not that they're completely incapable, it's that it takes a fair amount of time and effort, and is in general not worth it to the average user to sink that time into it when they could just purchase Windows.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    I wouldn't say those extra components would be an extra $1000.
    Monitor: $50
    Windows 8.1: $50
    Mouse and Keyboard: $20
    Speakers: $10

Total cost of extras is $130, and can be lower or higher depending on what you want.
    Well I agree that most of the parts used in current laptops are along those price ranges. Besides maybe the panel.
    But if you would buy a gaming laptop, you would also buy a decent mouse and keyboard. Same goes for speakers or headphones.

And for the mac discussion:
    I would only buy a macbook for 1 reason:
    The limited amount of options available. (Makes it so easy to find the one that fits you)

I wouldn't waste the money on it though.

I would have also recommended a desktop and cheap laptop (no discrete gfx card, small and portable, everything to save battery such as a small ssd, decent screen).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I think you got a sweet laptop man. Everyone has already pointed out the obvious about computer being more efficient... but its a laptop. Different uses, so congrats. Sweet pick, enjoy it dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information