Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gay marriage is legal in all 50 states

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Default gay marriage is legal in all 50 states

who wants to get married?
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

obligatory @Taric

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

Accurate representation of my wedding:

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    Accurate representation of my wedding:

are you a rich business man? I'll marry you if so

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    are you a rich business man? I'll marry you if so
    I'll be whoever you want me to be

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    I'll be whoever you want me to be
    *wedding bells*

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

congratulations

on a more serious note, I really don't know what people are going to tell their children if people take this to the next level and actually open up the concept of marriage like that from a young age. They'd be hella confused.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Lmao this thread.

Anyways, it's about time gay marriage is legal but still a long way to go.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    congratulations

on a more serious note, I really don't know what people are going to tell their children if people take this to the next level and actually open up the concept of marriage like that from a young age. They'd be hella confused.
    what? You mean kids would be confused if any gender can marry any gender? I doubt it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

congratulations

There is so much information out there already I'm pretty sure most 'children' already have a general understanding of gay marriage without parents/schools formally introducing it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justln View Post
    There is so much information out there already I'm pretty sure most 'children' already have a general understanding of gay marriage without parents/schools formally introducing it.
    I am almost certain that this is wrong. If I were to walk up to a random first grader I would probably get a blank stare if I asked about gay marriage. I think it's important to teach them to be accepting of everyone (race, orientation, belief, hair color, fashion decision, music preference, etc...), but I would not necessarily highlight it and redefine marriage in schools. I would personally keep telling them about traditional marriage and I would trust that by the time that someone who is gay realises it and wants to act on it, he/she'd be able to easily find and act on that information.

In general, it's usually a very dubious proposition to assume that a very large base of people is as knowledgeable as you'd think. Take SRL for example, and notice the many people who have had issues deciphering a simple error like 'missing a semicolon on line 123'. I think it's relatively safe to assume most people frequenting SRL are at least 13 (don't you need parental permission or what not to sign up under this age) and have theoretically developed the ability to read (isn't the US at least 90% literate); however, it doesn't seem to transfer over to resolving a simple issue such as the one I provided.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Can we all get married to each other yet or is it just two people?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I am almost certain that this is wrong. If I were to walk up to a random first grader I would probably get a blank stare if I asked about gay marriage. I think it's important to teach them to be accepting of everyone (race, orientation, belief, hair color, fashion decision, music preference, etc...), but I would not necessarily highlight it and redefine marriage in schools. I would personally keep telling them about traditional marriage and I would trust that by the time that someone who is gay realises it and wants to act on it, he/she'd be able to easily find and act on that information.

In general, it's usually a very dubious proposition to assume that a very large base of people is as knowledgeable as you'd think. Take SRL for example, and notice the many people who have had issues deciphering a simple error like 'missing a semicolon on line 123'. I think it's relatively safe to assume most people frequenting SRL are at least 13 (don't you need parental permission or what not to sign up under this age) and have theoretically developed the ability to read (isn't the US at least 90% literate); however, it doesn't seem to transfer over to resolving a simple issue such as the one I provided.
    Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. I live in Canada so I can't really speak for the american school system, but here early 'sexual education' is now including homosexuality and indirectly non traditional marriages.

Children probably won't (and shouldn't) be introduced anything about marriage outside of it's a commitment between two people who love each other, or one person who wants the others money (joking). I don't wanna make any claims on statistics and cba to research but now a days you can't go on social media or even watch the news without being introduced to various LGBT movements.

I just hope for the people who need information on these sorts of topics have no trouble finding it, figuring out who they are, and don't have to deal with stigma/nonacceptance from family & friends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I saw this as an imminent change. Looking back historically, various groups raised enough awareness about their lack of rights until they were fully granted them. It was only a matter of time before homosexuals attained equal rights, just like the women's rights and civil rights movements before.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

majority of children have no concept of requiring female+male ONLY. It doesn't matter to them.. just like a persons skin color doesn't matter to them
    you should work around kids more, you seem to have no understanding of them at all o_o
    you described adults.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

majority of children have no concept of requiring female+male ONLY. It doesn't matter to them.. just like a persons skin color doesn't matter to them
    you should work around kids more, you seem to have no understanding of them at all o_o
    you described adults.
    I agree with this.

On a separate note, I don't imagine you heard the OTHER big decisions recently? Such as the fact that Obama now has the right to fast track the Trans Pacific Partnership without congress (This is a MAJOR revamping of all IP laws and makes things far worse than DMCA ever did). Or perhaps the fact that the EPA is no longer allowed to tell companies that they are poisoning the air/water/environment around them if they think it will cost the company too much to fix. Or perhaps the fact that the EPA is no longer allowed to use unbiased scientists for any studies and now must only use corporate sponsored studies as the basis for any of their decisions.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    On a separate note, I don't imagine you heard the OTHER big decisions recently? Such as the fact that Obama now has the right to fast track the Trans Pacific Partnership without congress (This is a MAJOR revamping of all IP laws and makes things far worse than DMCA ever did). Or perhaps the fact that the EPA is no longer allowed to tell companies that they are poisoning the air/water/environment around them if they think it will cost the company too much to fix. Or perhaps the fact that the EPA is no longer allowed to use unbiased scientists for any studies and now must only use corporate sponsored studies as the basis for any of their decisions.
    F*** yeah 'murica

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

I agree with this.

But what about all the #blazeit420s now?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

What I don't get is why democrats are so against the Trans Pacific Partnership... it has typically been the purvue of the executive, not the legislature to handle international matters (especially trade, excluding declaring war of course). If it's fast-tracked then that's a good thing. The less things this congress has the ability to turn to molasses the better. Even if Obama was against it anyway himself, that's his decision because it's his job. Just like how Republicans had no right to hold up judicial appointments because they were salty about them, it's the president's job and his right.

Can't say I've heard about the EPA thing, but it does sound like it's going the same way as 2nd ammendment studies which definitely can't be good.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

What I don't get is why democrats are so against the Trans Pacific Partnership... it has typically been the purvue of the executive, not the legislature to handle international matters (especially trade, excluding declaring war of course). If it's fast-tracked then that's a good thing. The less things this congress has the ability to turn to molasses the better. Even if Obama was against it anyway himself, that's his decision because it's his job. Just like how Republicans had no right to hold up judicial appointments because they were salty about them, it's the president's job and his right.

Can't say I've heard about the EPA thing, but it does sound like it's going the same way as 2nd ammendment studies which definitely can't be good.
    So why is the TPP a good thing? Seems pretty bad from what I've read.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

It's probably very favorable for American consumers/business as you'd expect a trade deal to be... I don't see why people are treating it as the next coming of the net neutrality debate. I don't see any language saying that America gets shafted by the agreement or anyone saying so either (unlike those Iran talks)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

It's probably very favorable for American consumers/business as you'd expect a trade deal to be... I don't see why people are treating it as the next coming of the net neutrality debate. I don't see any language saying that America gets shafted by the agreement or anyone saying so either (unlike those Iran talks)
    The TPP prevents a country (who is part of the partnership) from regulating the prices of imported items.

This is fantastic for consumers/large corporations. This is horrible for small businesses.

Assume that the TPP has passed, and you need a pair of socks. You could purchase socks at the price you have been accustomed to (the current government regulated sock price) from the local sock making shop in your town, or you could buy a pair of socks from china for 2 cents.

If you're a person who loves the idea of a world without american small businesses, then by all means you should love the TPP. BUT, if you're a person like me who has been brainwashed into "Buying American", the TPP becomes a ideology killing, child punching, dog licking pile of garbage.

THAT is why the TPP is receiving so much public backlash. Plus the whole "made in private" thing never comforts people.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I agree with this.

and something about we're allowed to kill journalists on site or something

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

and something about we're allowed to kill journalists on site or something
    I want. Pls gimme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information