Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gay marriage is legal in all 50 states

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Here are a few problems as I understand them:
    -It's not a just a trade deal, it's much more than that.
    -It is being written by large corporations with histories of not giving a f*ck about people.
    -The details have been kept secret from the public and congress. Most or all of the info available is from leaked drafts. If it's so good, why can't we see it?
    -US copyright laws are already horrendous. The TPP would make them worse AND force them on other countries.
    -The TPP would restrict access to cheap medicine by removing generic versions of drugs and forcing everyone to pay the stupidly inflated brand-name price.
    -Corporations would be able to bypass environmental, safety, and worker laws.

If it were just about free trade then it would probably be fine, but they're going stuff a lot more junk in with it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    and something about we're allowed to kill journalists on site or something
    wat

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post
    wat
    Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    I want. Pls gimme.
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...r-journalists/

didn't read any of this shit, saw it the day of gay marriage legalization

idk if real or not idc
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

idk if real or not idc
    That's a lot less fun than I thought it would be... There goes my dreams of going on a fox news murder rampage.

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

idk if real or not idc
    From Counter Current News:
    Now, the American 1,176-page “Department of Defense Law of War Manual” says that it is perfectly legitimate to shoot, explode, bomb, stab, or cut journalists they deem “belligerent.”
    “In general, journalists are civilians,” the manual reads. “However, journalists may be members of the armed forces, persons authorized to accompany the armed forces, or unprivileged belligerents.”
    RT notes that Pentagon “did not specify the exact circumstances under which a journalist might be declared an unprivileged belligerent,”
    From the Department of Defence Law of War Manual:

There's more info if you read there between pages 102 and ~110, but from what I can tell it isn't the licence to kill any journalist they disagree with that Counter Current News, Chris Chambers, and RT seem to think it is.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    Here are a few problems as I understand them:
    -It's not a just a trade deal, it's much more than that.
    -It is being written by large corporations with histories of not giving a f*ck about people.
    -The details have been kept secret from the public and congress. Most or all of the info available is from leaked drafts. If it's so good, why can't we see it?
    -US copyright laws are already horrendous. The TPP would make them worse AND force them on other countries.
    -The TPP would restrict access to cheap medicine by removing generic versions of drugs and forcing everyone to pay the stupidly inflated brand-name price.
    -Corporations would be able to bypass environmental, safety, and worker laws.

If it were just about free trade then it would probably be fine, but they're going stuff a lot more junk in with it.
    In addition to this, a corporation could sue a country for passing laws that negatively affect their profits. For example, in Australia all cigarette packets must be plain packaged, have large displayed health warnings and large graphic images of f'd up lungs/etc. This is no doubt negatively affecting the profits of tobacco companies, but they can't do anything about it right now. If the TPP passes, they'll be able to sue the absolute shit out of Australia in a secret court run and presided over by international corporations and be almost guaranteed to win.

If the idea of an international corporation being able to sue a country because a law infringes on their profits in a secret court, and then force that country to change its laws to better suit that corporation doesn't scare the shit of you, then you have a hell of a lot of reading and thinking to do.

EDIT: I read this the other day, seems fitting. It explains pretty much everything you need to know about the TPP and free trade in comic form.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    In addition to this, a corporation could sue a country for passing laws that negatively affect their profits. For example, in Australia all cigarette packets must be plain packaged, have large displayed health warnings and large graphic images of f'd up lungs/etc. This is no doubt negatively affecting the profits of tobacco companies, but they can't do anything about it right now. If the TPP passes, they'll be able to sue the absolute shit out of Australia in a secret court run and presided over by international corporations and be almost guaranteed to win.

If the idea of an international corporation being able to sue a country because a law infringes on their profits in a secret court, and then force that country to change its laws to better suit that corporation doesn't scare the shit of you, then you have a hell of a lot of reading and thinking to do.

EDIT: I read this the other day, seems fitting. It explains pretty much everything you need to know about the TPP and free trade in comic form.
    Thank you, very informative post.

I don't like how something that has this much impact is being discussed in secret and then rushed through. It shouldn't work like this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Thanks for the read!
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taric View Post
    That's a lot less fun than I thought it would be... There goes my dreams of going on a fox news murder rampage.
    all news *

why are people in this world so damn greedy holy shit
    I work just to make money for food then I fuck around 99% of the time
    y world so mean
    Last edited by grats; 07-03-2015 at 04:04 AM.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Thank you, very informative post.

I don't like how something that has this much impact is being discussed in secret and then rushed through. It shouldn't work like this.
    No, it definitely shouldn't, and yet it does. Both major parties in Australia are all for it, and the only party big enough to help stop it is the Greens which pretty much everyone hates. In other words, it's going to happen unless the Internet gets into a major stink about it like SOPA/etc and half the Internet blacks out for a day. It's an absolute joke, but it's a very real thing.

why are people in this world so damn greedy holy shit
    I work just to make money for food then I fuck around 99% of the time
    y world so mean
    Because most rich people are rich because they're greedy assholes. They have nothing better to do with their time because they already have enough money to do anything they could possibly want, so the only thing left for them to do is make more money.
    Last edited by Incurable; 07-03-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

I feel like I'm derailing a thread to take it back to the OP topic, but oh well here goes. LOL

The whole "what do we tell the kids?" argument when it comes to gay marriage is kinda weak, and frankly, pretty tired. If we had been teaching children all along, like we should have been, that marriage is between two consenting adults who love each other and want to spend their lives together, then most of the issues with gay marriage wouldn't even exist.

We've been directly or indirectly breeding fear/hate of homosexuals since the beginning of time and it's time to knock it off. They are human beings, just like the rest of us. All they want is to be happy, be respected, and not have to fight to be equal. This shift in our culture is long overdue, and yet even after SCOTUS dropped the hammer, we still have the backwards redneck d-bags in Texas saying "nu-uh, we don't have to!!!". History is going to leave those people behind just like the KKK. While the KKK is still a presence, they aren't respected by anyone outside of their own organization. We just have to make sure we run damage control as the homophobes in Texas and elsewhere are being shown the door.

So tell the kids what marriage is. Kids are much smarter than we give them credit for, and they are certainly much more accepting than adults are. At least until they are taught to hate. So it would seem that all we have to do is stop teaching/preaching hate, and the kids will work it out for themselves that love is love, no matter what gender you are.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

No, it definitely shouldn't, and yet it does. Both major parties in Australia are all for it, and the only party big enough to help stop it is the Greens which pretty much everyone hates. In other words, it's going to happen unless the Internet gets into a major stink about it like SOPA/etc and half the Internet blacks out for a day. It's an absolute joke, but it's a very real thing.

Because most rich people are rich because they're greedy assholes. They have nothing better to do with their time because they already have enough money to do anything they could possibly want, so the only thing left for them to do is make more money.
    damn that actually makes too much sense
    I wish they had a hobby.. like buying servers and letting free projects use them for free

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

damn that actually makes too much sense
    I wish they had a hobby.. like buying servers and letting free projects use them for free
    Hell, just imagine what the Earth and humanity could be if they devoted their combined wealth, power, intelligence (let's face it, they have to be intelligent to get to where they are now), and influence to the betterment of the world?

/me keeps dreaming, because like that's EVER going to happen.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Hell, just imagine what the Earth and humanity could be if they devoted their combined wealth, power, intelligence (let's face it, they have to be intelligent to get to where they are now), and influence to the betterment of the world?

This is the unfortunate truth; however, when everyone thinks like this I would say there is no way that they'd be inclined to help out.

They do commit to the betterment of the world (in most cases, and not always a pure positive for example perhaps moving manufacturing jobs overseas but providing essential products at prices the poor over here can afford) but of course if it involves bettering themselves, which is definitely a fair requirement to have. Altruism is not something that should honestly be expected. I'm willing to bet that half the people on this forum (who claim to stand exactly for what you are suggesting now) or more would suddenly see it differently when they end up along the elite class 20, 30 years down the line.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

when politicians can't be bought with money, I think we'll see a huge turn in how that works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information