Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL Degrading FPS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Default OpenGL Degrading FPS

Hi I've recently begun using OpenGL, and have encountered a fairly large problem. After some time in the SMART client while running OpenGL, the fps degrades starting around 15 minutes and gets progressively worse. I don't seem to be having any problems in the normal Runescape client. My system can definitely handle the requirements (i7, 8gb ram, decent gpu). Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or a fix?

Edit: This happens very severely when in the lobby, but still happens regardless.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Check your processes in Task Manager, see if anything (Java or Simba) is leaking memory.

Does this only happen when running a script? If so, check the script and make sure you're freeing all objects from memory after you're done using them.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

As I have told you on Skype it is partially because Jagex doesn't dump the previous loaded memory when it's hooked to something. So when you lobby and log back in all your previous data is still being held while new data piles on top of that slowly decreasing your FPS.
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

My memory seems to be staying about the same. I still have plenty of ram and cpu % left.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

It's not about RAM and CPU, it's about your graphics card

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

I don't have this problem at all running a GTX 650 Ti, I recall it happening sometimes after I'd log back in after being lobbied.. my FPS would stay at like 10, but other than that my scripts that run for 10 hours+ are perfectly fine with over 30 FPS. Sounds like a GPU problem more than anything.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

This problem has been around since the openGL hooking plugin came out in 2013. It simply doesn't work for a lot of people because of the lag. On my computer it drops to 3-4 fps after ~1-2 hours. Supposedly it's a Jagex server-side issue and nothing can be done about it. This is the only reason openGL hasn't been officially developed for SRL. Obscurity went and bought a $500 graphics card just to maintain 30fps. If it works on your computer then you are lucky. That's why everyone is hanging out for @Brandon; to put together the finishing touches on the DirectX plugin

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You make it seem like it only depends on how 'strong' your gfx card is, but that isn't true at all.
    My old 7950 will still get better fps on most games then your 960, but I also experience the lag.
    (Im not bashing your card, might buy the same myself, but just so he doesnt buy a random $500+ Card that still doesnt solve his problem)

Obscurity will have a proper explanation, but IIRC it had something to do with how your gfx cards dumps unneeded stored items, or lack thereof.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

From a bunch of anecdotal evidence it seems like it is the type of GFX card, rather than the tier. For instance, I experience no FPS issues (unless I log in and out frequently) with integrated graphics.

Don't have the knowledge for a technical explanation however.

Logging in and out will definitely cause you some issues, which I don't think we can avoid at the moment. A stable internet connection and good script quality will prevent this from being a factor anyway. If I happen to log out a lot, I just restart the client.
    Last edited by Clarity; 07-08-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Logging in and out will definitely cause you some issues.
    And from what I saw (using my pc) running back and forth between areas and loading new map chunks escalated the problem significantly. When I bot, I like to bot for a long time. I like the massive multi day proggys but those are just not possible with openGL. That is the main reason most people (including myself) are reluctant contribute to the ogl stuff. I've always thought that their efforts can be better spent elsewhere (i.e., directX), because that seems to work for everyone.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    And from what I saw (using my pc) running back and forth between areas and loading new map chunks escalated the problem significantly. When I bot, I like to bot for a long time. I like the massive multi day proggys but those are just not possible with openGL. That is the main reason most people (including myself) are reluctant contribute to the ogl stuff. I've always thought that their efforts can be better spent elsewhere (i.e., directX), because that seems to work for everyone.
    Ehhrmm.. My Wines script has been going for 12+ Hours now.. and it loads up 3 different times in-between inventories, running just fine with minimal FPS drops. Although, it is the same areas over and over again. I have a bit of faith you could have OGL scripts go for 24 hours+.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    Ehhrmm.. My Wines script has been going for 12+ Hours now.. and it loads up 3 different times in-between inventories, running just fine with minimal FPS drops. Although, it is the same areas over and over again. I have a bit of faith you could have OGL scripts go for 24 hours+.
    Exactly, it works for you, and that's great

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    Good to know we can add 650ti to the list then.

@ClarityWhat cpu are you using? I might unplug my 7950.. And how many bots can you run at a time?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

I'm getting a gtx 970 with my new computer so hopefully that will work well. @(The Mayor) Do you know if the Direct X hook will have a similar library or be completely different? I'm excited about this.

Note: How do I tag...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swag Bag View Post
    I'm getting a gtx 970 with my new computer so hopefully that will work well. @(The Mayor) Do you know if the Direct X hook will have a similar library or be completely different? I'm excited about this.

@Name;

(@ sign, their name, semicolon)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Yes but if an application (such as a game) were leaking memory, wouldn't that kill fps?
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swag Bag View Post

I highly doubt it for a number of reasons, but I'll only get into a couple of them:

If directX turns out to be a feasible option I would like to see it integrated into SRL. There would just be a few methods like getModels(), getTextures() and getFonts() and their respective overloads. It doesn't need to be a standalone library because because it's not as powerful as reflection and somethings will still be easier with SRL-6. The only really hard thing with colour is finding objects on the mainScreen, particularly ones with clashing colours.

For example, something like:

Simba Code:
    program example;
    {$DEFINE DX}       // If you want it, declare it, else don't
    {$DEFINE SMART}
    {i srl/srl-6.simba}

procedure mineRock();
    var
      i: Integer;
      TPA: TPointArray;
    begin
      TPA := dx.getModels(123456, mainScreen.getBounds()).toTPA(); // returning models as a TPA, only look on the MS

TPA.sortFromPoint(mainScreen.playerPoint); // and from here work the TPA like you normally would:

for i := 0 to high(TPA) do
      begin
        mouse(TPA[i].rand(5), MOUSE_MOVE);
        if isMouseOverText(['Mine']) then
        begin
          fastClick(MOUSE_LEFT);
          break;
        end;
      end;

// or alternatively, do it in one line by returning the closest model as a TPoint
      mouse(dx.getModels(2718818122, mainScreen.getBounds()).closest(mainScreen.playerPoint).rand(5), MOUSE_LEFT);
    end;

begin
      setupSRL();
      mineRock();
    end;

The last thing we want is more includes floating around. With the release of cLib yesterday I counted 8 individual includes that are currently being used in scripts. It would just be easier for everyone (developers, scripters, script users) if we kept it simple.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

I think DX integrated into SRL would be very powerful. My only beef with SRL is the sometimes unreliable/difficulty finding colors. Everything else I love. If iI could find models and return them in a TPA or an ATPA I would be thrilled

Test tag @The Mayor; (sorry)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

Bad location for it, but this is after several lobbies + been running like 9 hours, just restarted script after some changes.

edit : in case you can't see it's saying 20 fps

Was at 14 hours yesterday but this is the only one i've seemed to save
    Code:
    Bly Divination:
    ===============Progress Report===============
    Time running : 08h 21m 46s
    XP Gained/XP per hour : 409,635/48,982
    Levels gained : 1
    Chronicles destroyed : 34
    =============================================
    Scripts can run for long periods of time, just depends on your luck really
    Last edited by Lucidity; 07-08-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bly View Post
    Bad location for it, but this is after several lobbies + been running like 9 hours, just restarted script after some changes.

edit : in case you can't see it's saying 20 fps

Was at 14 hours yesterday but this is the only one i've seemed to save
    Code:
    Bly Divination:
    ===============Progress Report===============
    Time running : 08h 21m 46s
    XP Gained/XP per hour : 409,635/48,982
    Levels gained : 1
    Chronicles destroyed : 34
    =============================================
    Scripts can run for long periods of time, just depends on your luck really
    We believed you when you've said it works for you. It just doesnt work for everyone.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    We believed you when you've said it works for you. It just doesnt work for everyone.
    But even then, 20fps is pretty low. Brandon's initial tests were hitting ~50fps with directX

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

But even then, 20fps is pretty low. Brandon's initial tests were hitting ~50fps with directX
    20fps is totally workable for a game like Runescape, though. I've dropped down to 3-5 FPS sometimes, which is definitely too low.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

One thing Obscurity had told me is that it does not like AMD cards - I just so happened to have a HDD crash and decided to go ahead and get a new machine with an Intel card instead (lower quality then my AMD) and now can run OGL scripts for 12+ hours with no lag. So in short, if you just so happen to be looking at a new machine and want to use for botting look towards Intel.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adc View Post
    20fps is totally workable for a game like Runescape, though. I've dropped down to 3-5 FPS sometimes, which is definitely too low.
    Yea, and once it gets down that low then the script can't even function!

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    One thing Obscurity had told me is that it does not like AMD cards - I just so happened to have a HDD crash and decided to go ahead and get a new machine with an Intel card instead (lower quality then my AMD) and now can run OGL scripts for 12+ hours with no lag. So in short, if you just so happen to be looking at a new machine and want to use for botting look towards Intel.
    I've heard that too. OGL is amazing when it works, but I really don't see the point in working on something that only half of people can use.
    @Lucidity; that script looks pretty nice, but I guess you will have to change the paint now

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

Yea, and once it gets down that low then the script can't even function!

I've heard that too. OGL is amazing when it works, but I really don't see the point in working on something that only half of people can use.
    @Lucidity; that script looks pretty nice, but I guess you will have to change the paint now
    Yes, yes I will! :P it'll be released soon.. maybe a week or so from now

Already updated my paint mwuahaha

Last edited by Lucidity; 07-09-2015 at 06:50 AM.
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information