Thread: iOS apps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Default iOS apps

Has anyone coded a iOS application with Xcode and put it on the AppStore or at least created an application ?
    If so tell us your experience. I'm looking to get into coding in swift using Xcode and want to get any heads up

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I have. A LOT for various companies. The largest apps I've worked on so far are written in Objective-C and some things are written in C. I've also developed an audio app in swift as well to allow you to cache music, videos, etc.. on the device from any URL so you can listen to it without internet AND also integrate with the iOS native music app.

Swift is not the greatest of languages. Objective-C for iOS is more common. With Swift, you have to worry about unboxing of types (it's not done automatically!). You have an extremely stupid strongly typed system.. IE: You can't assign an integer to a float. You can't multiply a float and an int. You have to upcast the int to a float or downcast the float to an int.

UInt and uint and UInt32 are completely different and you will get problems dealing with them even though they are all "unsigned integer".

You cannot assign Int to UInt. An explicit cast is needed.

A lot of developers get confused on the difference between unboxing/boxing and optional types. So be careful when learning that part of the language.

There was a time when bridging swift with objective-c libraries was extremely complicated! Not sure if that's changed in the latest XCode. But beware that swift was once missing libraries that objective-c was providing. This doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Objective-C (similar to small talk) is by far easier to use with a vast majority of tutorials over swift. One feature both languages lack is abstract classes.. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...implementation

Really really sucks.

Other than the above complaints (there's a whole lot more), it's an okay language. Fairly easy to learn. Has a few pitfalls but is okay to deal with.

Submitting apps to the app-store is a lot easier now. Dealing with certificates can get troublesome at times but overall it's a simple process. Have fun learning.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-24-2015 at 03:12 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Always trust @Brandon; to know everything!

E: How many languages do you know anyway?
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srlMW View Post
    Always trust @Brandon; to know everything!

E: How many languages do you know anyway?
    From 2013:
    Mips ASM, x86 ASM (Fasm, Nasm, Masm), C, C#, C++, Obj-C (The worse language in the world), Cobol, Java, Javascript, VB, Html(5), PHP, Perl, MySQL, TSQL, PLSQL/Oracle SQL, Pascal, Delphi, Haskel, Fortran, F#, Unix-Shell/Bash/Batch, Make, GLSL(OpenGL Shading language), (All.Net/Visual versions of the above)..

Some french/spanish (not too great at it at all.. Only enough to get things done)

Meh.. I was going to learn Google Go but its useless. Nothing special about it I guess.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Mips ASM, x86 ASM (Fasm, Nasm, Masm), C, C#, C++, Obj-C (The worse language in the world), Cobol, Java, Javascript, VB, Html(5), PHP, Perl, MySQL, TSQL, PLSQL/Oracle SQL, Pascal, Delphi, Haskel, Fortran, F#, Unix-Shell/Bash/Batch, Make, GLSL(OpenGL Shading language), (All.Net/Visual versions of the above)..

Some french/spanish (not too great at it at all.. Only enough to get things done)

Meh.. I was going to learn Google Go but its useless. Nothing special about it I guess.
    Brandon - Chuck Norris of coding
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srlMW View Post
    Brandon - Chuck Norris of coding
    I'm a linguist. Once you know one or two, it's easy to learn others. I don't know why but I like languages (both spoken/written and coding).
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON
    I'm a linguist. Once you know one or two, it's easy to learn others. I don't know why but I like languages (both spoken/written and coding).
    Funny you should say that. My sister is going for her PhD in computational linguistics! For her research she had to learn about databases and python from scratch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swag Bag View Post
    Funny you should say that. My sister is going for her PhD in computational linguistics! For her research she had to learn about databases and python from scratch
    That's real neat, how far away is she from her degree?
    Tsunami

Thread Information