Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good 'ole windows 10. Giving us easy to understand error messages.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

I still need a windows 7 key or I can't get 10.

Hashtag plebian status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
    I had a legitimate product key. I reverted back to 8.1, ran some phone activation for my PC and it reset the uses on my code..then it worked on win10
    I had some funny phone business like that with my desktop, which runs legit Win7. My laptop on the other hand, had a smooth upgrade from Win8.1 and no key nonsense; can't complain.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Windows 8 was much faster and more snappy than windows 7, hands down. The only bad thing about it was the poor integration of all the 'tablet stuff' such as the metro start screen. Windows 10 has kept all the good things about windows 8, and fixed all the nasty things. It will no doubt be the best OS Microsoft has ever produced. If you come from windows 7 and you've never tried windows 8 then you will have to do a bit of relearning
    Yeah been using it for a couple days and its really impressed me tbh. The animations, UI and just over all look and feel of the OS are nice, 1st party support of multiple workspaces is a cool feature.
    Not to mention when game developers start implementing Direct X 12, the boost to in game performance will be nuts.

Now I just need to get one of those fancy sense eye cameras so it can open my computer without a password haha.

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    I still need a windows 7 key or I can't get 10.

Hashtag plebian status.
    If in a couple weeks you still need this key let me know! I go back to school and will more than likely get access to microsofts dream spark and grab you a key for windows 7/8 and you can just upgrade to 10

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adieux View Post
    Yeah been using it for a couple days and its really impressed me tbh. The animations, UI and just over all look and feel of the OS are nice, 1st party support of multiple workspaces is a cool feature.
    Not to mention when game developers start implementing Direct X 12, the boost to in game performance will be nuts.

Now I just need to get one of those fancy sense eye cameras so it can open my computer without a password haha.

If in a couple weeks you still need this key let me know! I go back to school and will more than likely get access to microsofts dream spark and grab you a key for windows 7/8 and you can just upgrade to 10
    I would probably love you tbh.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

So if I install windows 10 do I have to reinstall word, simba and all my other stuff?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

A feature that GNU/Linux has had for almost a decade, mind you.

If Microsoft would just support OpenGL instead of clinging to the money-grabbing corporate-sponsored scapegoat that is DirectX, game performance would already be nuts.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    A feature that GNU/Linux has had for almost a decade, mind you.

If Microsoft would just support OpenGL instead of clinging to the money-grabbing corporate-sponsored scapegoat that is DirectX, game performance would already be nuts.
    What's stopping game performance from being nuts on GNU/Linux? Must be a bit more to it than embracing OGL.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    What's stopping game performance from being nuts on GNU/Linux? Must be a bit more to it than embracing OGL.
    The API. OpenGL API is still just pure C. Direct-X is C & C++ where C++ is the main language used and allows "Object-Oriented" programming but still allows procedural if you so wish.

Both has pros and cons but API & Structure is the main one.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Or you can just fresh install and 'activate' it
    but then i cant claim the free upgrade.

tried that already

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    POSIX vs Win32. Developers only developing for Windows because Windows is where all the Call of Doody players are.

GNU/Linux fully supports both rendering libraries. If you can get a game to run (natively or using a compatibility layer) you'll have equally stellar performance no matter which one you use. The problem is that the Wine project's re-implementation of the Win32 API isn't complete, so some games (esp. recent titles) that are only compiled for Windows don't install, much less run.

Windows has excellent support for DirectX, since they own it & make money off of it. Even though OpenGL is the superior rendering library, Microsoft won't support it worth a damn because it competes with DirectX.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Vista is still my one and only.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    So if I install windows 10 do I have to reinstall word, simba and all my other stuff?
    Depends if you upgrade or clean install - No/Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Hanar View Post
    Can't say I agree with your choice but have fun!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Welp, the "start menu" doesn't even work for me, chrome bugged out couldn't click any links, then the bottom task bar completely broke I was unable to click any of the apps. After that windows explorer crashed so I opened task manager to close it at which point task manager crashed

Disappointed so far, restarted computer so far everything is working except the start menu

EDIT: currently trying to fix the start menu bug by typing in a command in powerhsell I found online. turns out I can't even right click 'powershell.exe' without the windows explorer crashing

Might aswell downgrade back to windows 8.1. I've encountered more issues (and by issues I mean the type of issues you expect to have with windows XP) using windows 10 for the past 15 minutes than I have the past 2 years I have used windows 8/8.1. I can't try to fix what I need to fix if the windows explorer window is stuck in place and unable to be minimized or closed. If I minimize chrome then I want be able to re-open it again.

EDIT 2 task bar not working again.

EDIT 3 right clicking anything in windows explorer crashes it. I'm guessing the custom start menu I had with windows 8.1 could be causing these problems, we will see

IF YOU HAVE 'CLASSIC SHELL' or any other third party program to act as a start menu for windows 8/8.1 UNINSTALL/DISABLE (you can find a manager for shell stuff here:http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) it before you upgrade to windows 10. It will f*ck your sh*t up like it did to me above.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanar View Post
    Vista sucked, you should ask for a downgrade to xp or something

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_R View Post