Thread: Looking for advice on this budget build (<$600, for personal use, possible botting)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Default Looking for advice on this budget build (<$600, for personal use, possible botting)

I'm looking to finally build my first nice-ish pc. The aim is to keep the price in the ~$550 range. I'm not focusing on optimizing a botting build or doing overclocking at any time. Just want to play some games at high settings 1080p at 60 frames and have the option to bot when the computer is not being used.

Current Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.49 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($164.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $539.43
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-05 15:52 EDT-0400

The price isn't as accurate as I'd like it to be right now. SuperBiiz has shipping fees which aren't included and the coupon code (which pcpartpicker thinks can be applied 4 times) is only available once. I also choose not to include rebates in the final price.

Current Concerns:
    1. Not sure how to choose motherboards. I see this one is suggested often, and seems nice, but I'd like to know if there are other options. Struggling between price vs quality atm.
    2. I might be able to salvage a harddrive from someone else for free so that gives me like ~45 dollars leeway, but I'm not sure where to put that money. Upgrade to an i5 maybe?
    3. Case size - Not sure dorm room size yet
    4. Power Supply - Can I afford to go down to 450w?

Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

6300 > 4300. The extra computing power is largely irrelevant if all you're doing is gaming or botting one account.
    CX 500W > CX 430W. Not a big deal, but you can save ten bucks.

Case is personal preference; if you're happy with that case, go ahead and get it. I like the Fractal Design Define S case myself (just upgraded to it, great case).

For your questions:

1. Quality quality quality. Other than the PSU, a quality Motherboard is important. The one you linked looks good, though I myself am not a fan of Gigabyte as a brand.
    '
    2. Get an SSD if you can. SSDs are a huge upgrade in terms of speed, and I don't think you're going to get a 970 or a 4690k or something better in a budget build like this.

3. I have a Define S and it's fairly large (probably 1.5-2x the volume of the typical Dell prebuilt case), but unless you truly need a small case I doubt it'll be too big a deal.

4. Easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I agree with adc. You won't regret getting an SSD, even if it's only 120GB.
    Personally, I'd chose an intel cpu instead of AMD, but it's just my personal prefference.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
    great site for starting, a basic build for price ranges as well as some alternatives. just check it out for ideas.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymerase View Post
    I agree with adc. You won't regret getting an SSD, even if it's only 120GB.
    Personally, I'd chose an intel cpu instead of AMD, but it's just my personal prefference.
    For high end I'd definitely suggest Intel, but AMD crushes Intel in price to performance on the lower to mid range spectrum.

Also, instead of the 4300 look at the 4350:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-326-_-Product

Roughly the same price for like a 20% performance improvement.

The only thing I'd caution about AMD motherboards is the VRM cooling. The one linked in the main post looks fine (has 8 + 2 phase power), but lower end boards (ie. the Asrock 970 Extreme3 I have myself, with 4 + 1 phase power) have VRM cooling issues pushing 125W+ to a CPU. My 8350 runs at a frosty 40C under full load, but my board thermal throttles it anyway because my VRMs peak above 60C; very unfortunate.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

@Thomas seems to have some good advice on PC's lately, hopefully he can help.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    @Thomas seems to have some good advice on PC's lately, hopefully he can help.
    I wouldn't recommend an AMD CPU for botting as you'll have to factor in power draw.
    But for a regular budget gaming build both AMD and Intel are compareable.
    For a CPU you get what you pay for (most often, in the lower ranges 50-300usd). There are so many different models in all different price ranges, and you'll always be able to find something you like. The fact AMD gives more price/performance out of the box at low ends get's neglected once you factor in operating costs, IMO.

Another reason I dont like AMD is because I don't think a 90 usd CPU pairs well with a 80 usd mobo. And when going AMD, you might even want a better motherboard to overclock the CPU's. That's why I recommend a intel 4460 and a cheap B85 motherboard of sorts.

Also a gold PSU is per dif 7% more efficient then a bronze PSU (230v input). If you do plan on botting I would 100% get a gold+ PSU (and intel cpu).

Here is a different build for intel, cheapest I could come up with ITX (you mentioned a dorm room), but without many sacrifices.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YtGvGX

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice everyone! Here's what I've thought so far:

1. The motherboard remains an issue because while I understand that quality is an issue, I still have no plans to overclock in the near future. However, I'm still having trouble deciding between the details of Thomas' build and my current one. Price is around the same, so I won't worry about that, but what kind of performance differences will I see between the two?
    2. SSD's are great, my friend has one and I'm super jealous, but I'd like to keep it as an upgrade option for right now.
    3. I'm worried that a mini case will make a first build possibly too difficult for a first time build. I think I'll hold off on ordering a case until I can check out my dorm.
    4. I think I will downgrade to 450 watts. A final decision, however, will have to wait until I can see what case I'll get.

I've also browsed Thomas' original thread and logicalincrements It's what got me inspired to find my own build. I think this current one is a mashup between "great" and "very good" on logicalincrements right now.

EDIT: Oh, and how would this build work for openGl? I don't use it now, but I'd always like the option of being able to do it in the future.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

1. The CPU Thomas chose is something like 40-50% more powerful than the 4300 (and around 20% more than the 4350), but obviously costs more. Asrock is a fine brand - the Asrock motherboard I have now has worked for almost 5 years with no issues - but the power phasing for the specific ATX motherboard/CPU combo I have is bad. Given the 4460 has a TDP of 84 watts, and the suggested AMD chips have a TDP closer to or above 125 watts, it shouldn't be an issue and the motherboard is perfectly fine. In terms of power consumption you'll see a fairly large difference (given the 4460 only draws 67% the power of the 4300 and the PSU is more efficient), but I can't say anything close to exact numbers myself.

2. In that case, assuming you have an HDD you can scavenge from somewhere, I'd look into getting a bit more CPU power (since I don't think you have any hope of fitting 970 into a $600~ build, and it would be bottlenecked fairly heavily by that CPU).

3. I've never done an ITX build, but it just gives you a little less room to work with for cable management. I can understand your concerns, but I don't think it'd be a huge difference as long as you're careful.

4. I would definitely suggest getting a 430/450W PSU. There's really no point getting a more powerful PSU if you don't need the power.

As for OpenGL, I don't know if anyone has an exact explanation for why certain hardware works well and others don't, so I don't know if it's possible to give a prediction on that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Wait, where is this 4300 talk coming from? The original build was a 6300.

Anways thanks for the help! I'll keep a track on prices and things, but the i5 build seems very favorable now if I can get this HDD for free and with the cheaper power supply.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yourule97 View Post
    Wait, where is this 4300 talk coming from? The original build was a 6300.

Anways thanks for the help! I'll keep a track on prices and things, but the i5 build seems very favorable now if I can get this HDD for free and with the cheaper power supply.
    I suggested it in my first post :P. The 4460 will be roughly equivalent (5% more powerful) to the 6300.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Ooooh ok haha, I just got confused because I read:

6300 > 4300

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I wouldn't recommend an AMD CPU for botting as you'll have to factor in power draw.
    .....The fact AMD gives more price/performance out of the box at low ends get's neglected once you factor in operating costs, IMO.

not 100% sure he gives a shit about power draw as he lives in a dorm. Unless you have to pay for your own electricity whilst in a dorm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    not 100% sure he gives a shit about power draw as he lives in a dorm. Unless you have to pay for your own electricity whilst in a dorm.
    Yeah, it's not a big concern for me at all. One of my friends actually bought a bitcoin miner for his dorm (but I don't think that'll turn out well).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

My build is really similiar to this one.

My only advice is: If you are going to buy FX-6300 (which is what i currently have) PLEASE BUY ANOTHER CPU COOLER, preferably this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=35-103-099. If not, go Intel. I get around 60-70 DB's when playing, and you should get a nicely aired case with some aftermarket (5$) fans, cause it will get hot with ease.
    Formerly known as Undorak7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lipcot View Post
    My build is really similiar to this one.

My only advice is: If you are going to buy FX-6300 (which is what i currently have) PLEASE BUY ANOTHER CPU COOLER, preferably this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=35-103-099. If not, go Intel. I get around 60-70 DB's when playing, and you should get a nicely aired case with some aftermarket (5$) fans, cause it will get hot with ease.
    I was planning on getting that exact cooler actually, but one of my friends advised that if I'm not overclocking, then I don't really need it. However, if I plan to run bots, I'm guessing I will need one then. Do you mind posting your other specs as well? I'd like to see what a different FX-6300 build look like.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yourule97 View Post
    I was planning on getting that exact cooler actually, but one of my friends advised that if I'm not overclocking, then I don't really need it. However, if I plan to run bots, I'm guessing I will need one then. Do you mind posting your other specs as well? I'd like to see what a different FX-6300 build look like.
    Yeah i just realized i screwed up with the processor! hahah im currently using an fx-8320. My bad! hahah :P

this is my build though http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2p4qnQ
    Formerly known as Undorak7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

No worries! Good advice is still good advice. I think that the AMD fans are terrible enough to warrant an aftermarket cpu cooler, so I'm planning on getting one. It'll still be a luxury item, but I feel like I should be considerate for my roomate as well haha.

Thread Information